Notedstrangeperson

Jul 3, 2008
✟12,024.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Tiberius said:
So what exactly was your point with the OP?

That because languages other than English don't differentiate between apes and monkeys the way English does, then the word "ape" means nothing?
I'm not re-opening a three month old 15 page thread just for you. Either read it or read John Hawk's original post.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh my!When they quit interbreeding they were still the same species. At the point in time that they could no longer interbreed, they became different species, but they were still the same genus.
Well, there are biochemistry, genetics, embryology, and the fossil record. But if you haven't actually looked at and understood these things, I can see why you might say that.
And if you don't understand that there is a difference between an ancestor and a descendent, I can well believe that you might be confused. Perhaps you could have your mommy or your daughter explain it to you, even if you can't tell them apart.

:doh:

only problem apes and humans are different genus levels, so how did and when did the genus barrier get crossed, you completly missed the point.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
to your first point, your opinion doesn't matter because those two words mean two different things whether talking about evolution or not.

they quit interbreeding when they became unable to produce fertile offspring because it has no survival advantage for the species.

and 29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: Part 1

why not put it in your own words, anyone can cut and paste links

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
only problem apes and humans are different genus levels, so how did and when did the genus barrier get crossed, you completly missed the point.

I think you've missed the point of evolution... Several times. A number of individuals have already addressed your crocoduck assumptions about how evolution works, on a number of occasions. And yet you continue to cling to your misconceptions. Why?

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you've missed the point of evolution... Several times. A number of individuals have already addressed your crocoduck assumptions about how evolution works, on a number of occasions. And yet you continue to cling to your misconceptions. Why?

what are you saying that humans didn't come from apes? Did I miss something?

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
what are you saying that humans didn't come from apes? Did I miss something?

Yes, you are missing that while humans are kept in their own genus (Homo), so are all the other apes. A gorilla is in the genus Gorilla, orangutans are in the genus Pongo and chimps in the genus Pan, and they are all apes, just like humans in the genus Homo. All of them (including humans) belong to the family Hominidae. Apes are defined at the family level, not the genus level. Saying that humans are not apes is the same as saying that we are not mammals, or not vertebrates.

As for your first question, no, human's did not "come from apes". Humans and chimps shared a common ancestor some time ago, between 6 and 9 million years ago to be precise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.