human being mammal

gipsy

Jan 23, 2009
✟44,773.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why are human beings the only mammals with permanently swollen breasts? All other mammals have breasts AFTER pregnancy. Why is this different with human beings?

That's not entirely true... just look at the breasts of women before and after birth ... :p

[edit] and then look at the same bodily feature after breast feeding :( [/edit]

Upvote 0

gipsy

Jan 23, 2009
✟44,773.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If that happened, that would be a serious problem.
I honestly don't hope you're getting a problem, but the size of female human breasts really changes (sometimes a lot) in the following states:
shortly before birth -> bigger
after breastfeeding -> same as before, or even smaller

This is just a personal observation from the mother of my children and two of her friends. Your mileage may vary ...

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I honestly don't hope you're getting a problem, but the size of female human breasts really changes (sometimes a lot) in the following states:
shortly before birth -> bigger
after breastfeeding -> same as before, or even smaller

This is just a personal observation from the mother of my children and two of her friends. Your mileage may vary ...
I meant cuz I'm a dude

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gipsy

Jan 23, 2009
✟44,773.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Back to topic:
I never watched too closely on the breasts of other female mammals than that of humans, but the change in breastsize occurs also for human women, so there is only a difference in "standard" breast size, the "normal" mammal behaviour is still existant.
And if you think about how many human females undergo breast enlargements, there seems to be a very valid reason for "permanently swollen breasts" ?!

Upvote 0

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you're going to compare human breasts to other species, primates would be the best example, since the comparison contains part of the answer. Primate females have swollen breasts only during their ovulation period, making it an excellent sign that the female is ready to reproduce. Thus, large breasts = lots of male attention, and those males that are attracted to them will have more children.

The answer is that human children take a massive amount more time to mature then primate children; this means that they take support and care from both parents. Permanently swollen breasts is one of many things that help ensure that human females get attention and care from their males at all times. This helps build a stronger pair relationship that's in turn good for the children.

Sorry if that sounds dry, that's my old anthropology training kicking in.

Reactions: TheManeki
Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ke1985
Ever seen a cow?
I don't think cows can rightly be said to have breasts. From wikipedia:

"The breast is the upper ventral region of an animal’s torso, particularly that of mammals, including human beings."

^That wouldn't include cows, since their udders are pretty much in the middle. That, and cows only have one udder with many nipples, not two breasts with one nipple each.

Primates are really the only animals that can be said to have breasts. Out of all primates, females have the largest breasts, and human females have breasts that are especially prominant prior to pregnancy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you're going to compare human breasts to other species, primates would be the best example, since the comparison contains part of the answer. Primate females have swollen breasts only during their ovulation period, making it an excellent sign that the female is ready to reproduce. Thus, large breasts = lots of male attention, and those males that are attracted to them will have more children.
By "swollen", I think the OP means prominant and portruding. Only human female breasts are like that prior to pregnancy.

The answer is that human children take a massive amount more time to mature then primate children; this means that they take support and care from both parents. Permanently swollen breasts is one of many things that help ensure that human females get attention and care from their males at all times. This helps build a stronger pair relationship that's in turn good for the children.
This doesn't make sense. Why would breasts ensure "care" from males, at "all times"? From an evolutionary point of view, I would think breasts only serve a sexual purpose for adult for adult, being a visual sign of sexual maturity, as well maternal potential.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sbvera13

Mar 6, 2007
✟10,490.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
By "swollen", I think the OP means prominant and portruding. Only human female breasts are like that prior to pregnancy.
That's what I meant, I was using the same terms as the op.

This doesn't make sense. Why would breasts ensure "care" from males, at "all times"? From an evolutionary point of view, I would think breasts only serve a sexual purpose for adult for adult, being a visual sign of sexual maturity, as well maternal potential.
They don't "ensure" it, as much as encourage it. The more time any given male spends with any given female, the more likely it is they will form a pair bond capable of nurturing a child. That's why prominent breasts are only one of many adaptations geared toward creating this sort of bond. The lack of an erectile bone in the male is another one. Other, more subtle emotional, and psychological variations are hypothesized, although these are far less certain in the anthropological community.*

*edit: as far as their place in primate society goes, not human society.

Upvote 0

ke1985

May 27, 2008
✟8,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's not entirely true... just look at the breasts of women before and after birth ... :p

[edit] and then look at the same bodily feature after breast feeding :( [/edit]

At puberty, why do women develop breasts BEFORE pregnancy? At the onset of puberty, girls begin to develop sexual characteristics. Why is this not seen in any other mammal including primates?

Upvote 0

kangitanka

Jul 2, 2006
✟15,509.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Why is this not seen in any other mammal including primates?
Cows
Female Cows
During the first 3 months of life the mammary glands on a heifer grow at approximately the same rate as the rest of the body.
From circa 3 months to about 10 months, the mammary glands develop grow and develop faster than the rest of the body.

Like I said...
... Cows.

ETA- I guess your question should be "Why do certain mammals develop 'full' mammary glands relatively early in life?"
Which, of course, is a different direction of questioning altogether.

Upvote 0

ke1985

May 27, 2008
✟8,472.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Cows
Female Cows
During the first 3 months of life the mammary glands on a heifer grow at approximately the same rate as the rest of the body.
From circa 3 months to about 10 months, the mammary glands develop grow and develop faster than the rest of the body.

Like I said...
... Cows.

ETA- I guess your question should be "Why do certain mammals develop 'full' mammary glands relatively early in life?"
Which, of course, is a different direction of questioning altogether.

"Zoologists point out that no female mammal other than the human has breasts of comparable size, relative to the rest of the body, when not lactating and that humans are the only primate that has permanently swollen breasts." wikipedia

Upvote 0