Visit site
✟1,473,485.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Note: this thread is in the Egalitarian forum.

An interesting article on how men and women tend to estimate their own intelligence differently. "Educational psychologists pay attention to intellectual self-image because it’s often a self-fulfilling prophecy: if you think you can’t, you won’t."

Why women underestimate their IQ and men overestimate theirs

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Note: this thread is in the Egalitarian forum.

An interesting article on how men and women tend to estimate their own intelligence differently. "Educational psychologists pay attention to intellectual self-image because it’s often a self-fulfilling prophecy: if you think you can’t, you won’t."

Why women underestimate their IQ and men overestimate theirs
I wonder if the opposite is true for EI, Emotional Intelligence.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Back in graduate school a few decades ago while learning to administer intelligence tests, I was taught that people most often choose partners of commensurate intellectual ability. I haven't tested a lot of couples, but the few I have bear this out. There has been no statistically significant difference in IQ scores of couples I have tested. The bottom line seems to be whether you are male or female, if you think you're smarter than your spouse, you're probably really not. My wife likes to remind me of this. ^_^

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if the opposite is true for EI, Emotional Intelligence.
Would be interesting to see. If self esteem is one of the main drivers behind the IQ estimation difference (which the article mentioned as a possibility), then I would think EI estimates would follow the same path and not be opposites. If it is other factors, then perhaps.

Back in graduate school a few decades ago while learning to administer intelligence tests, I was taught that people most often choose partners of commensurate intellectual ability. I haven't tested a lot of couples, but the few I have bear this out. There has been no statistically significant difference in IQ scores of couples I have tested. The bottom line seems to be whether you are male or female, if you think you're smarter than your spouse, you're probably really not. My wife likes to remind me of this. ^_^
In the granted limited sample size of our large families, your comment here plays out. My wife in particular has a large family, which atypically has a pretty wide range of IQ scores average to upper extreme. She and all her siblings ended up with people who appear to be right at their IQ level.

Now a sample of one, my wife and I, she definitely underestimates her IQ, or at least her ability to apply it. Which means I overestimate mine!
kawaii.gif

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟279,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would be interesting to see. If self esteem is one of the main drivers behind the IQ estimation difference (which the article mentioned as a possibility), then I would think EI estimates would follow the same path and not be opposites. If it is other factors, then perhaps.
I think most men realize they do not have as high EI as women. of course I could be wrong bit I think most men know we are generally obtuse when it comes to that sensitivity.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think most men realize they do not have as high EI as women. of course I could be wrong bit I think most men know we are generally obtuse when it comes to that sensitivity.

Makes sense. But the study wasn't if men think their IQ is as high as women's. It's if members of each gender overestimates or underestimates their own IQ. That is a different dynamic. When you take that to the EQ question you raised, men could easily believe their EQ is lower than women's (your comment) while still believing theirs is higher than it actually is (my comment) if self esteem is a main driver.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,485.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
IME, most people who really seem to have low EI are happily oblivious to that fact. While people with high EI are more aware of their potential to get it wrong in any given situation. An example of the Dunning-Kruger effect, perhaps?

Upvote 0