Germany
✟15,060.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
1 in 4 Teenaged girls has STD (notice they're pushing the HPV Vaccine at the bottom of the article)

At least one in four teenage girls nationwide has a sexually transmitted disease, or more than 3 million teens, according to the first study of its kind in this age group....

....About half of the girls acknowledged ever having sex; among them, the rate was 40 percent. While some teens define sex as only intercourse, other types of intimate behavior including oral sex can spread some infections....
The argument at the bottom for more testing not being done on girls who come in who might have an STD is that "It will get back to their parents"...

I seem to recall both when my dad was military and I had to see a doctor about female issues, that they told my parents since I was 12/13 only I could handle and pick up my medical records, and give them back to the medical offices... and the same went for when I went to an OB/GYN clinic when I was 16... I had to verbally give my permission (which imho was crazy enough) and have it written and signed by me that they were to get my records and come in to the dr visits with me...

So I guess I wonder even IF it gets back to the parents, isn't this kind of a non-issue with there being doctor-patient confidentiality on these things and the fact that by a certain age (unsure if it is the same state to state) a girl is supposed to be the only one handling her medical records unless she says otherwise?

Next question: Prevention -- why are we not educating our daughters and sons better? :(

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
1 in 4 Teenaged girls has STD (notice they're pushing the HPV Vaccine at the bottom of the article)

The argument at the bottom for more testing not being done on girls who come in who might have an STD is that "It will get back to their parents"...

I seem to recall both when my dad was military and I had to see a doctor about female issues, that they told my parents since I was 12/13 only I could handle and pick up my medical records, and give them back to the medical offices... and the same went for when I went to an OB/GYN clinic when I was 16... I had to verbally give my permission (which imho was crazy enough) and have it written and signed by me that they were to get my records and come in to the dr visits with me...

So I guess I wonder even IF it gets back to the parents, isn't this kind of a non-issue with there being doctor-patient confidentiality on these things and the fact that by a certain age (unsure if it is the same state to state) a girl is supposed to be the only one handling her medical records unless she says otherwise?

Next question: Prevention -- why are we not educating our daughters and sons better? :(
Doctor patient confidentiality doesn't happen until adulthood (legal adulthood)... BTDT.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't trust it.
That's the bottom line.
And if I did trust it, it would be fine for me to risk my body, my life, my reproductive capabilities to give it a chance, but it is NOT okay for my to play Russian Roulette with my child's life.

When my mother was diagnosed with cancer they were so thrilled! They had this amazing new Chemo-Therapy that they were almost POSITIVE would cure her. It was made using estrogen, and her cancer was estrogen based, and they realized their mistake about 2 weeks before she died, and they called and said, "We're so very sorry!" They couldn't figure out why it had spread of fast when she went from radiation to chemo, and then they found out, they GOOFED.

After that, my doctors wouldn't let me touch estrogen. A few doctors, over time, would go, "Oh, the pill is safe. Don't worry." But even then, most of my own doctors would go, "I'd rather not play with your estrogen levels." Around me, women were popping estrogen like kids pop pez. Have an unpleasant period? Get on estrogen! Going throught menopause? Have some estrogen! Have a hysterectomy? We have the solution. Have a little estrogen!"

And this year, this year, the big "oopps" message went out to women. "Get off estrogen! Throw it out! Do NOT use it!"

When I was a child, they thought they had a great idea to prevent premature labor. Simple little shot they could give women. They were happy as little larks until woman, after woman, after woman born to those mothers found out she couldn't have healthy children. Then they went back and went "Ooops".

Anyone remember "Phen-Fen"? Wonderful little diet miracle that just happened to cause heart attacks. OPPS!

How about Trasylol? Trasylol is a drug that was used to to prevent bleeding, by causing clotting, during heart surgery. Unfortuantely, it caused kidney disease, heart and brain damage, and increased the risk of in-hospital death.

Ever hear of Lotronex? It was supposed to help with irritable bowel syndrome. Then they figured out it was causing ischemic colitis, and actually killing patients.

Ever hear of Zelnorm? Commonly called Tegaserod? It was a serotonin 5-HT4 receptor, also used to bowel problems. Unfortuately it was causing heart attacks, angina, and strokes.

Remember Paxil and the way it was supposed to help with mood disorders? And turned out to be causing kids to commit suicide?

Effexor was the one that ruined my life. After his accident they put my husband on it. After his paranoid schizophrenia and delusions someone realized, the majority of his insanity was an allergic reaction to Effexor.
Wow, that's absurd. Kind of makes you shake your head in disbelief

Thanks for posting that information.....I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, but it's good your using it to help educate others about this stuff.

Upvote 0

HOPEOF9

Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
✟8,160.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't trust it.
That's the bottom line.
And if I did trust it, it would be fine for me to risk my body, my life, my reproductive capabilities to give it a chance, but it is NOT okay for my to play Russian Roulette with my child's life.

When my mother was diagnosed with cancer they were so thrilled! They had this amazing new Chemo-Therapy that they were almost POSITIVE would cure her. It was made using estrogen, and her cancer was estrogen based, and they realized their mistake about 2 weeks before she died, and they called and said, "We're so very sorry!" They couldn't figure out why it had spread of fast when she went from radiation to chemo, and then they found out, they GOOFED.

After that, my doctors wouldn't let me touch estrogen. A few doctors, over time, would go, "Oh, the pill is safe. Don't worry." But even then, most of my own doctors would go, "I'd rather not play with your estrogen levels." Around me, women were popping estrogen like kids pop pez. Have an unpleasant period? Get on estrogen! Going throught menopause? Have some estrogen! Have a hysterectomy? We have the solution. Have a little estrogen!"

And this year, this year, the big "oopps" message went out to women. "Get off estrogen! Throw it out! Do NOT use it!"

When I was a child, they thought they had a great idea to prevent premature labor. Simple little shot they could give women. They were happy as little larks until woman, after woman, after woman born to those mothers found out she couldn't have healthy children. Then they went back and went "Ooops".

Anyone remember "Phen-Fen"? Wonderful little diet miracle that just happened to cause heart attacks. OPPS!

How about Trasylol? Trasylol is a drug that was used to to prevent bleeding, by causing clotting, during heart surgery. Unfortuantely, it caused kidney disease, heart and brain damage, and increased the risk of in-hospital death.

Ever hear of Lotronex? It was supposed to help with irritable bowel syndrome. Then they figured out it was causing ischemic colitis, and actually killing patients.

Ever hear of Zelnorm? Commonly called Tegaserod? It was a serotonin 5-HT4 receptor, also used to bowel problems. Unfortuately it was causing heart attacks, angina, and strokes.

Remember Paxil and the way it was supposed to help with mood disorders? And turned out to be causing kids to commit suicide?

Effexor was the one that ruined my life. After his accident they put my husband on it. After his paranoid schizophrenia and delusions someone realized, the majority of his insanity was an allergic reaction to Effexor.
:thumbsup: Thank you for your post.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AMOG

Jul 29, 2007
✟17,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
General rule, unless you are going to die without it, never take any medicine that hasn't been on the market long enough to have a generic form. And then be careful.

TXSKY, thanks for that list. It is only the tip of the iceburg. There are more "mass tort" law firms then there are drug companies. There's a reason for that. most of the time they just don't know what will happen when a new drug goes out.

And when I see something like this HPV vaccine where some state legislatures are REQUIREING kids to have it, I have to wonder, why did the drug companies feel the need to lobby for this to be required? If its so great everyone should WANT to get it. My feeling is, when the legislatures require it, it provides some cover to the drug companies. It's harder to lose in court and the politicians who passed the law will be more interested in helping the drug company cover their tails.

my .02 (and all opinion)

Upvote 0

BananaCake

Veteran
Dec 6, 2006
✟9,072.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't trust it.
That's the bottom line.

I've taken 2 of the above mentioned :doh:

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not to derail, and I only ask because I want to know...
How is this vaccine different than the others? I mean, most states "require" any number of vaccines, and we think that is fine, but we get all riled up on this one.

I personally decided to not vaccinate my children anymore at all. We thought it would be a big deal since we are in the military, but no one has had a problem with it so far.

Upvote 0

lovesdolphins

New year, new me, new baby????
Mar 28, 2007
Houston
✟15,296.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Effoxor may have ruined your life, and I am truely very sorry for that, but it also sounds like there wasn't any way to really know there was going to be an allergic reaction.

Effexor has changed my life. I wouldn't be here today w/o that drug. I've been on it for probably 5 years, and had to fight the insurance company at the beginning of the year b/c they wanted me to get off of it (year, the insurance, not my Doctor).

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
yeah. the statements on Paxil causing suicide are really questionable IMO too. Just because I understand from working in healthcare that coming out of a deep depression can just sometimes give someone the strength to follow through on suicidal ideation (which can happen with any drug for depression)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faithmom

I'm gonna walk by faith.
Jul 19, 2006
North America
✟24,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Anyone read any of the recent articles that our nation's (USA) water supply has trace levels of pharmaceuticals in it, but that the water companies don't have to report that as a part of the water quality reports to the public.

I am editting to try to put the link on here. (I'm not good at this computer stuff)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080309/ap_on_re_us/pharmawater_i

Hey! I think it worked.

Doesn't that just add a whole new twist on allergies, drug interactions, resistant infections and government approved decisions to not give the public full information on pharmaceuticals. Hmmmmm.......

Sure, they are small levels, but is that a level that wouldnt' affect and infant infant? Can it still trigger allergic reactions, even if slight? Can it contribute to resistant bacterias?

It just gets crazier all the time, doesn't it?

Upvote 0

Christdefinesme

Sep 21, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Visit site
✟16,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to derail, and I only ask because I want to know...
How is this vaccine different than the others? I mean, most states "require" any number of vaccines, and we think that is fine, but we get all riled up on this one.

Because this one is new.
And in recent years parents are being made more and more aware that there could be more negative side effects than ever acknowledged by those who push vaccines.
So, there is a "stink" right now because of having something pushed that is so new, and the advertisements are directed at teen girls. Also, I don't EVER remember seeing any ad campaign for any other vaccine before.
Hmmmmmm........

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Because this one is new.
And in recent years parents are being made more and more aware that there could be more negative side effects than ever acknowledged by those who push vaccines.
So, there is a "stink" right now because of having something pushed that is so new, and the advertisements are directed at teen girls. Also, I don't EVER remember seeing any ad campaign for any other vaccine before.
Hmmmmmm........
but look at all the meds now. All the companies are doing this. How often did you see an add for say... prozac when it came out? NEVER. It's just a sign of the times, not a statement about this injection.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I personally think it's cruel and abusive to neglect medical treatment for your daughter based on you not wanting her to have sex...it's going too far in my opinion.
I'd probably edit this before someone reports you hon. :)

Not everyone is forgiving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seamonster

happy goth
Oct 2, 2005
✟18,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally think it's cruel and abusive to neglect medical treatment for your daughter based on you not wanting her to have sex...it's going too far in my opinion.
How is not giving a vaccine refusing medical treatment? The way your post is worded, you make it sound as if anyone is going to refuse to get their daughters treatment for genital warts or cervical cancer.

I think most of the people posting here have made it clear that they aren't getting their daughters the vaccine because of lack of knowledge surrounding possible side effects, not because they don't want their daughters to have sex.

Upvote 0

3girls2dogs

Catholic
Aug 15, 2005
Arizona
✟25,188.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This vaccine isn't treatment. Heck, it may even be dangerous. That's the point. It's too untested, too unsure to be trusted at this point.

Cruel and abusive for wanting more proof that it safe and that it works? I think not.

Upvote 0

JennFrano101

Feb 29, 2008
✟264.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well one user said it's giving a sexual license, when I just see it has protection they get for when they get older and can make sexual decisions, they won't get HPV.

I'm not saying being worried about it because it's an uncertain vaccine is bad, but saying you wouldn't give it to your daughter because she'll have sex is nasty...

Upvote 0

Alexus

Mar 28, 2008
✟15,222.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I had it done for myself. We have a strong history of cancer in my family so anything I can do to prolong my life for my children I will. I did not get it for HPV though. Some research suggests it can lower the risks of other cancers which is why I got it.

I will not let my daughter get it. When she is an adult she can make her own decision.

Upvote 0