How Would You React?

peter22

May 15, 2007
✟15,830.00
Faith
Buddhist
Scenario #1: Your child's teacher is out of work for a few days. You hear through the grapevine that she had an abortion. What would you do? Would it make a difference if you knew the teacher had been raped? If her life was in danger if she carried to full-term?

Why should this make a lick of difference? I'm a teacher, and my private life is just that- private. Unless I'm doing something illegal, it's none of your business.

Scenario #2: Your child's teacher is a homosexual. What would you do? Would it make a difference if they were in or out of the closet? A gay man? A lesbian?

Again, none of your business. Some teachers I know are *gasp* gay. Guess what? Nobody cares. Even some of the kids know, and they don't care.

Scenario #3: Your child's teacher is a High Priest or Priestess and presides over a Wiccan coven on the weekends. What would you do?

Ask him how to get rid of curses? What's your point? His private life is his own, as long as he doesn't bring too much of it into the classroom.

Scenario #4: Your child's teacher is also a youth pastor of a local fundamentalist, conservative church. What would you do? Would you only be concerned if they were pushing Christianity in the classroom? Would you encourage them to sprinkle tidbits of the Gospel into his lessons?

Aah, an interesting question. As long as he/she isn't brainwashing my kids (this also goes for the Wiccan, by the way), I don't mind. If he says, "Killing is bad," that's fine. If he says, "God told you to to X," then that's unacceptable.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2004
✟9,548.00
Faith
Baptist
Below are four real-world scenarios. Let's play pretend that they apply to you. How would you react?

Scenario #1: Your child's teacher is out of work for a few days. You hear through the grapevine that she had an abortion. What would you do? Would it make a difference if you knew the teacher had been raped? If her life was in danger if she carried to full-term?

Scenario #2: Your child's teacher is a homosexual. What would you do? Would it make a difference if they were in or out of the closet? A gay man? A lesbian?

Scenario #3: Your child's teacher is a High Priest or Priestess and presides over a Wiccan coven on the weekends. What would you do?

Scenario #4: Your child's teacher is also a youth pastor of a local fundamentalist, conservative church. What would you do? Would you only be concerned if they were pushing Christianity in the classroom? Would you encourage them to sprinkle tidbits of the Gospel into his lessons?

1. None of my business.

2. Does it interfere with their teaching methods? If not, none of my business.

3. Laugh? Again, none of my business.

4. I'd be happy, even though it's none of my business.

Upvote 0

NeTrips

Apr 20, 2007
✟9,125.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Scenario #1
Pray for her. We are all sinners.

Scenario #2
:
As long as they were celibate, nothing. It's not the person but the act. If not celibate, then go straight to the headmaster and demand their removal. I pay to have my children taught by practicing Christians. If I wanted to subject them to the secular humanist belief that everything is OK and we should tolerate and accept any behaviour then I'd be sending them to public schools.

Scenario #3
:
Go straight to the headmaster and demand their removal. See #2 above.

Scenario #4
: I'd ask the headmaster how they managed to find this awesome teacher and encourage them to repeat the process.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
None of my business or concern. I would do nothing,

See response to #1

As long as the teacher keeps their crazy beliefs to themselves and doesn't bring it up in class then my response would be the same as above. Otherwise I would have a chat with the teacher.

See response to Scenario #3
Same here. If it doesn't affect the teacher's teaching abilities, it is none of my business. (Well, I don't have kids so it's none of my business anyway - but let's pretend that I do). Having had an abortion doesn't make one a worse teacher. I would pray for her and the aborted child though, because I am anti-abortion. And if she had been raped, I would offer support and if possible help the rapist get caught.

Upvote 0

Lynden1000

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Orlando, Florida
✟3,628.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Below are four real-world scenarios. Let's play pretend that they apply to you. How would you react?

I would mind my own business.

As long as they keep their sex life private and not a topic of classroom discussion, it's none of my business.

As long as they aren't using the classroom as a forum for proselytizing their religion, I would mind my own business.

As long as they aren't using the classroom as a forum for proselytizing their religion, I would mind my own business.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
And so you just don’t agree that it’s possible that parents shouldn’t have the ability to choose to be allowed to home school children?

Do you just not disagree with the possibility that one has the right to choose to have the ability to read a coherent post?

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I try not to be part of any grapevines and would probably get on my soapbox about gossiping if someone tried to tell me what the word on the street was about anyone one and their private life.

I expect my daughter's straight and gay teachers to be good at their jobs and I don't care about their orientation.

Assuming you are thinking of public schools...I don't care what my children's teachers believe as long as they don't refuse to teach the curriculum, and don't try to undermine the individual beliefs of the student's family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

peter22

May 15, 2007
✟15,830.00
Faith
Buddhist
It's heartwarming that so many people agree on these issues. As a gay Wiccan thinking of going into teaching, this is very supportive!
Wiccan_Child, teachers are amongst some of the most accepting and liberal people there are. Hell,we put up with teenagers all day. :)

Upvote 0

Dominick

Jun 9, 2007
Visit site
✟15,204.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I homeschool my son and plan to homeschool all my future children because I love homeschooling him. It started because he has Asperger Syndrome and the school was abusive to him, but it came to be something that helped us grow as a family! The school was sending his work home anyway for us to "make him" do so it was pointless to send him.

He's on a secular curriculum, and we love the additional information he is able to learn in one year compared to what public school can offer, especially since he works so much better with one on one.

However if I was to send a child to school:

#1 None of my business

#2 - Cool...as long as they are a good teacher that is what matters.

#3 - As long as the beliefs didn't spread to class and they are a good teacher that is what matters.

#4 - Same as #3...If it wasn't a religious school then no reason to teach religion....school is for teaching secular subjects.

Upvote 0