How would you live your life differently if you could live your youth time again?

sinneD

Jan 21, 2007
Dallas, Texas
✟15,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why? One of my biggest regrets on my life was not having the courage to stand up to my father and denounce his Neo-Nazism.
Just asking... it just sounded like you had a lot of things you needed/wanted to say to him but hadn't done so yet..

what are the words Don Henley sings? ... "you keep carrying around that anger and it will eat you up inside.."

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Just asking... it just sounded like you had a lot of things you needed/wanted to say to him but hadn't done so yet..

what are the words Don Henley sings? ... "you keep carrying around that anger and it will eat you up inside.."
There are a lot of things I haven´t said to my father that I felt I should say to him. I don´t know that this necessarily means I have to carry anger with me for the rest of my life.

Upvote 0

rhyddid_rose

Cymru am byth
Jan 24, 2005
somewhere sw of Cardiff Wales
Visit site
✟1,195.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hail and Greetings

I wish I had the wisdom I have now when I was a child. Then I would have known I was surrounded by sociopaths. I wish I had the courage I have now, maybe I would have fought back more. I would have been more physically fit and taken more accelerated classes in school. I wish I could have dealt with being isolated and terrified better. I should have gotten help earlier. I wish I had known that not everyone was after me and some people truly wanted to help. I wish I had known about Asatru/Paganism then.

Seriously, I dont think I would go back and change anything, because if I could, I wouldnt be me. I cant go back..................only forward!

Hail the Aesir; Hail and Vanir

Babochka

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I don't know why my life went as it went, but if there is a good reason I shouldn't change anything. But let's assume that it's possible and useful to go back.

Hm, I don't think that I had any influence on the things that I wish I hadn't (or had) experienced, with some exceptions. One of the exceptions is that I would treat my mum better and not criticize her all the time. I would show her that I loved her very much, every day. But I'm doing that right now, and she appreciates that. And I wouldn't listen to the depressing and paranoid ideas on life that my dad has.

I couldn't have handled the bullying differently because I was not responsible for it, and I tried to make them stop in so many ways that I still can't think of a better solution even though all my solutions were useless. Maybe if I could relive that, I would seriously harm the ones that bullied me for so many years, because then I would know how much they ruined in my life. I didn't know it would scar me for life when I was a kid. I do know now. So for the safety of my bullies I can't go back. I'd be so violent, even though I hate violence.

Another thing is that I wish I had met my husband sooner. So with the knowledge that I have now I would have visited the places that he frequented at that time. I wish I had met him in 1995/1996 instead of 2003. Our paths have crossed so often, we had so many acquaintances and friends in common, it really could have happened then and that would have spared me a lot of misery and loneliness and depression, and an eating disorder. Yep. But same with the bullying - I can't influence this. It's not something that I can "do" or "not do". It just happened.

Upvote 0

Mling

Knight of the Woeful Countenance (in training)
Jun 19, 2006
Here and there.
✟9,635.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If I could do my childhood again, I would be honest with my parents that I wan't really losing my homework before I got to school--I was mentally unable to force myself to do it. Then I would try to get them to help me learn how to focus, not flush my Ritalin, and actually develop decent study habits before I got to college, so I wouldn't have to figure it all out, alone, the night before something hugely important is due.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I wish I would have tried more things, because I know now that being in trouble is a false idea. Also, I would have had sex when I thought I was too young. And never joined the National Honor Society, on account of it being the biggest waste of time ever.
You are only two years older. I don't think you are qualified yet to give advise on what you would have done different. You have to live a bit longer first.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
You are only two years older. I don't think you are qualified yet to give advise on what you would have done different. You have to live a bit longer first.
Hey, compared to your the eternal life you expect to have, you are quite a spring chicken yourself. ;)

Upvote 0

amused

Oct 10, 2006
west australia
Visit site
✟15,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
well, I am only 31 but there are a few things I would have loved to do differently, but then again, if it meant not having my boys or my husband I wouldnt trade anything for that.

Actually come to think of it, there really is nothing much I could have done to change the outcome. The only thing would be to change my parents and what happened in their lives and then to change their parents and so on. I am just so glad that after generations of mistakes being made that some are changed through me but I am making new ones for my kids to try and change too.

There are alot of things I havent done that i would have loved to have done but it aint too late for that either. Well I didnt successfully answer this question. I just know I have had a lot of regrets in my life, even at my young age, but regrets do nothing for my sleeping patterns so I try to just live and learn and change. I just have to try and teach my kids about regret and try and help them reach their goals in life while still trying to reach mine.

cheers ;)

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,550.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There is one event.
When I was in gr12 highschool, I wanted to try out for the soccer team but roped into trying out for the play (which I'd been for the last 2 years). I wanted to get out of the play and was prepared to tell the english teacher/director but when she heard me telling someone I was goign to quit, she guilted me into staying.
That soccer team ran ragged and got into amazing physical shape.

I think that that moment was the defining moment in my (future) sloth and overweight filled life.

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist

Really? Because those were the two years in which I learned that I should have done more things and that being in trouble is made up. All you teenagers, listen to me, because this is important! Pressure your teenage girlfriends to have sex with you, because you will regret it when you are older if you don't! Also, use condoms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kindlychung

Feb 4, 2007
In a small city
✟7,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Pressure your teenage girlfriends to have sex with you, because you will regret it when you are older if you don't!
I guess Lots of people who have done so will not agree with you.
Hey, guys, if you had sex experiences when you were young, show up and say something. Do you regret or not?

Upvote 0

kindlychung

Feb 4, 2007
In a small city
✟7,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it is easier to learn if you know why, so it is hard to learn if you don't know what you are going to do with it.
Yeah, I feel the same way.
what is the point in wasting 10 years to change an opinion that should be changed in a day?
I don't think it's a good idea to accept or change an opinion without serious consideration.

Upvote 0

sinneD

Jan 21, 2007
Dallas, Texas
✟15,859.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey, guys, if you had sex experiences when you were young, show up and say something. Do you regret or not?
Yes. I have some regrets.

When you have sex, you leave behind a piece of yourself, a piece of your soul, something that you can never take back.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well I'm not a "guy" but I'm a woman who has sex as a pretty young teenager (can't say I was "Pressured")
I can't say I "regret" it. It's just my life. You don't get a re-do so why spend time on "what if's" The important moment are the decision making ones. The times where you say "Okay this isn't getting me where I want to be... so time to change direction" I guess I would regret things if I hadn't learned from them.

I am aware I might have a different view of men and perhaps a less cynical one if I hadn't dated men who were 24 and 25 when I was 13 and 14. Would prefer if things had been different? I think so.. but then who would I be now? It's not that I would advise someone to mimic my actions at that age.. but I certainly can't say I truly regret some things.

When I talk to my kids about things like sex and relationships I point out with honesty the impact it is likely to have on your life if you choose to make another person more important than yourself before you figure out who you are. I have serious discussions with them about using people and treating people casually. My kids have been far more conservative with their bodies, dating, and relationships than I was. So I guess being honest about my own experiences and open about what I think creates a better and more emotionally healthy person down the road has helped them to be the people they are.

I "get" the idea of pressuring someone and regretting it later. I do think pressuring someone into things is something a person might regret later. While it's true people might regret their own sexual experiences I think hurting someone else is even more damaging to your spirit.

Upvote 0

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist

Hey, I had sex when I was young. I'm still young. I just should have had sex when I was younger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Instead of a $1000 bond as a graduation present in 1975, I would have bought Berkshire Hathaway stock at about $38 a share. Would be worth over $2 million today. :cry:

And though it's had it's ups and down, I also would have bought all the Microsoft I could have afforded, when it was first listed on the NYSE at $20 or so back in the mid 80s.

Upvote 0

hernyaccent

single black female addicted to retail
Dec 27, 2004
New York City
✟2,905.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
There are only a couple of things I would change about my life thus far. The most important would being trying to make the best of the time I had with my grandmother. If I knew she was going to kill herself some place down the line I would have tried to have made every second special. Secondly, I would not have dated the men that I did. I knew from a young ago I was a lesbian and I would have acted on it in high school instead of waiting until I was 19. Lastly, I would save as much money as I possibly could. I sit around now a regret the Gucci purses and Prada sunglass that adorned me closet. A saving account would have been a much better place for my spending money.

Upvote 0

Harpuia

Oldie... very very oldie...
Nov 9, 2004
Undisclosed
✟27,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'd change the experiences I had involving other Christians, either turning myself away from them entirely though or making myself more like them, I have no idea which way I'd be. It makes show envy other way.

I would've probably also tried to get better grades, and tried harder to find the girl of my dreams.

Upvote 0