How would you describe yourself as a Christian?

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
How would you describe yourself as a Christian to someone who doesn't know you, so that they could get to know and understand you and your faith better?

How would you summarize your core beliefs?

What is the most important aspect of your faith to you and why?

What translation(s) of the Bible do you prefer to use and why?

What is/are your favorite verse(s) and why?

What do you consider to be your strongest virtues and which ones are you weaker in or would like to increase?

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't, if someone at work, a neighbour,or a person recently met asked me about Christianity I would talk to him about it but I would want o know what they believed about Jesus and base on what evidence.

Sony core belief is th crucifixion and resurrection..

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How would you describe yourself as a Christian to someone who doesn't know you, so that they could get to know and understand you and your faith better?
... I try not to describe myself too much. If I do, people start wondering ... ^_^ Besides, I'd hate for them to think that I'm as laid-back, easy-going, and generally as easy to work as may be evidently displayed online (quite successfully so, I'm sure), and we wouldn't want that! :rolleyes:

Existentially speaking, "Simple Trinitarian." Beyond that, what more is there other than that we all need to Repent and be Baptized into Christ (and maybe think a little harder when handling and reading the Bible)? In answer to this, I might offer the following-----------in fact, I do offer the following (i.e. another thread I created here on CF! :cool:)

...being in the presence and bowing at the foot of the Lord Jesus Christ, my Savior, for all of ETERNITY !!!

Of course, I also enjoy the presence of fellow Christians as well as having my wife and kid along side with me in all of this---and having this, too, is (and would be) a huge bonus! ;)

NASB and NKJV.

It should probably go without saying that Luke 12:49 (and its full context) is my favorite verse:

"I came to send fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled!"

What do you consider to be your strongest virtues and which ones are you weaker in or would like to increase?
My strongest virtues? Well, I'd like to think my perseverance is at the top, followed by my dashing and empathic disposition, all lit up with a spark of intelligence and humor. But of course, I leave the actual evaluation about the extent to which I implement these virtues up to THE Highest Authority.

However, having patience which always and unabashedly goes the 2nd mile, or is willing to forgive up to 70 times 7 when dealing with purposefully ignorant and uncooperative people, is admittedly ..................... my weak suite. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I start simple saying I have a Christian world view. This opens many opportunities to explain how I see, for instance, Covid19. Suffering.... why things are the way they are...etc.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Catholic. But not the Joe Biden kind, y'know?"

Catholic, with some trad sympathies.

A split between the sacraments and the Catholic liturgy. I draw comfort from both.

NRSV Catholic Edition. But Douay-Rheims is pretty good too. Speaking of which...

Hebews 13:5 (DRA): I will not leave thee, neither will I forsake thee

I've never been as puritanical (for want of a better word) as I would like.

Upvote 0

TLSITD

Conservative Christian
Apr 26, 2020
Tennessee
✟22,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Scripturally orthodox; non-denominational; morally conservative; conventional in some of my beliefs and practices, unconventional in others.

I hold the foundational beliefs that most Christians have in common: Belief in the triune God, in Christ's full atonement for the sins of all mankind by His death on the cross and in justification by God by the imputation of the righteousness of Jesus Christ to the sinner who puts his or her faith in Him for salvation; Jesus Christ being the only way to eternal life, and salvation by grace through faith and not by works, etc.

An intimate relationship with my beloved God, Savior and Lord Jesus Christ, who is also my best friend, because He is life indeed. Without knowing and living for Him, life has no purpose.

I like the ESV because it's a happy medium between the NIV and the KJV.

Romans 8:28 and 2 Chronicles 16:9. They're encouraging and necessary reminders in times of difficulty.

Compassion is definitely my strongest virtue. I could use more patience and faith.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Traditionalist, sacramental, Bible-oriented.

As the Nicene Creed summarizes it.

A personal relationship with God that promises forgiveness of my faults through the sacrifice made on my behalf by Christ. But I do not see God as my pal, so much as the Almighty.

King James Version--the most famous, most influential, and most beautiful and uplifting of all translations.

Hard to say. I tend not to have "pet" verses, but many people do.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
...What is/are your favorite verse(s) and why?

Hard to say. I tend not to have "pet" verses, but many people do.
I see you left out the last question... good call! :)

Saint Paisius distinguished himself by his great humility, and performed ascetic deeds of fasting and prayer, but he concealed them from others as far as possible. When the monks asked him which virtue is the highest of all, the saint replied, “That which is done in secret, and about which no one knows.” - The Desert Fathers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums