Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
In regards to the title, I don't think "...render unto Caesar..." meant "pay your taxes." In fact, Jesus' words would probably have been undertood by the devout or Torah-observant Jews in his audience Jesus telling them NOT to pay the tribute tax to Caesar (while being understood by a the Roman or non-Torah-studied in the audience to be ambiguous).
Interesting. And yet Jesus did have Peter find a fish with a coin in it's mouth to pay the taxes owed.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In regards to the title, I don't think "...render unto Caesar..." meant "pay your taxes." In fact, Jesus' words would probably have been undertood by the devout or Torah-observant Jews in his audience Jesus telling them NOT to pay the tribute tax to Caesar (while being understood by a the Roman or non-Torah-studied in the audience to be ambiguous).
Guess that's why I am grateful my faith does not interpret the Bible literally.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Guess that's why I am grateful my faith does not interpret the Bible literally.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean or how or why this particular passage should be either "literal" or "figurative." Those things are neither genres nor methods that I recognize. I'm just going with the author's intent using a historical-grammatical method - just like the RCC commentaries I read.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the Bible is meant to be relevant to future generations, then "Caesar" must be adapted to future generations and cultures.

One can live in a country led by someone they disrespect. Not too long ago i did. I still paid my taxes.
One can also utilize the tax code to take whatever credits they're entitled to, and not be in the wrong for it.

Reactions: RoBo1988
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Interesting. And yet Jesus did have Peter find a fish with a coin in it's mouth to pay the taxes owed.

Sure. I have a couple of thoughts on Matt 17:24-27 too, as I think you're correct to point out Jesus also comments on taxes there.

For one, it's not clear what a "double drachma tax" is and there's no reason to assume it's the same as the "tribute tax" to Caesar. Secondly, Jesus seems to be paying the temple tax (v 24) so that presumably the double drachma tax is simply the same as the temple tax - but these are not the same as the tribute tax to Caesar (which is the question during Jesus' last week to which he says "...render to Caesar...") Third, though he is paying the temple tax, Jesus' question to Peter asks a theoretical question about taxes in general and the tribute tax to Caesar specifically. In Peter's response and Jesus' instruction, Jesus seems to indicate that he is not obligated to pay these taxes ("the sons are free") but he pays the temple tax anyway, not because he thought he was obligated, but not to cause offense. He does not pay the tribute tax in this passage and he indicates that he didn't think he was obligated to pay either the tribute tax nor temple tax anyway.

FWIW, there was already an intramural Jewish debate at the time on whether or not the temple tax was required by the Torah, so on the temple tax he probably was well within current debate. For example, the Qumran community thought Jewish males only had to pay the temple tax once in a lifetime, rather than regularly (4Q 159:6-7) as well as other Rabbinic sources that disputed the obligation to pay the temple tax (m. Shek 1.4). Given this, Jesus thinking he wasn't obligated to pay the temple tax isn't really controversial as he was engaging in a [then] current debate.

But still in this passage, Jesus already indicates that he doesn't think he's obligated to pay the tribute tax to Rome either, which may drive his opponents question during his last week. He had a reputation for rejecting the obligation to pay the tribute tax to Caesar, which could be particularly dangerous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the Bible is meant to be relevant to future generations, then "Caesar" must be adapted to future generations and cultures.

One can live in a country led by someone they disrespect. Not too long ago i did. I still paid my taxes.
For what it's worth, I'm not saying that you shouldn't pay taxes. I'm disputing a particular text.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Allow me to interject Romans 13:6 Although, the NIV says the authorities "give their full time to governing" and I would say, they spend more time fundraising.
Our Pastor, a couple weeks ago said that "Pharaoh is never going to let you get ahead" I cannot remember the context of the statement, but it is true: Our representatives, set it up that those who play along, benefit, and the majority of their supporters receive a pittance.
Example: last summer my wife and I spent a large sum of money on replacement windows. They were badly needed in our 100+ year old home. You always hear of the government boasting of "energy tax credits" for improvements. The tax credit for energy efficient windows? $600-not enough to pay for one window.
Meanwhile these people speak of "billions" and "trillions" like it's pocket change to them.
"For too long, a small group in our nation's capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have born(e) the cost"*
-Fmr. President Donald J. Trump (* taken from a ABC News transcript where it was written "born" and not "borne")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"For too long, a small group in our nation's capital has reaped the rewards of government while the people have born the cost"
-Fmr. President Donald J. Trump
And former President Trump's purpose was what? To reap some rewards---along with the 1% who got huge tax breaks--while we bore the cost?

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And former President Trump's purpose was what? To reap some rewards---along with the 1% who got huge tax breaks--while we bore the cost?
The DJT quote is simply used to show the frustration, many working-class people(like myself-I have worked in skilled trades for over 40 years) have with the federal government, and why they sent him to Washington D.C.
Considering that Democrat, and Republican, as well as 95% of the news media fought him every step of the way(they talked of impeachment, 16 minutes after he was inaugurated), I'd say he at least opened some eyes to the overstuffed beast, that is the federal government.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Satan loves money talk he is all about wealth
Yep.

However...
" He(Jesus) discussed the topic of money more often than He spoke of faith and prayer combined"

Last edited:
Upvote 0