How was Adam’s choice to sin any different from ours?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Fait enough, perhaps, and yet we observe the traces of his family tradition in each other and within ourselves everyday: the unreasonable pride and self-righteousness that keeps us separated from God, from each other, and even from ourselves to one degree or another-and which can cause great harm to each other. Sumpthin's wrong here on planet earth, if we're willing to examine it, and only humility before God cures it.

I never said he was perfect, but his faith in God certainly serves as a model for the right way for a human to proceed.

Sure, and that's not what I do, as I said. OTOH, if I happen to be in line with a great many believers, great and small, who've maintained a consistent belief down through the centuries, I don't mind. Either way there have been many, many opinions regarding the story of creation and the Fall, and also some weeding out of some rather absurd ones. The basic teachings on Genesis 1-3 end up comparatively minimalistic, while those chapters still provide much fodder for further pondering.

There are still people who do this, Catholics and Protestants alike. Its just a remnant of human shame that's been operable since the Fall and Catholic teaching opposes it. But marriage and procreation are simply God's will for man on earth- and aren't described or designated any other way.
Some people look at things through the lens of Eden was just a setup, almost like God planned the fall, and His plan was always to just have us go through the curse so that we can enjoy standing around a throne and singing to Him 24/7 was His REAL ultimate plan.

I view things a bit differently, that Eden was not set up to fall, and Eden was God's original intent, and it pleased Him. So I see the New Earth as more Eden like and less standing around the throne playing singalong.
In fact I get depressed when I start believing that first view because so many others believe it, that was one of the motivations for "okay forget what "great theologians" and other people say, I'll just base everything I believe on what the bible actually says".
I got depressed because the idea, that God would go from a creator who provides all things, and only gave the command to "be fruitful and multiply" while He gives everything needed in Genesis 1, to a god who had.. killed off all marine life, made us all a bunch of Eunuch slaves, and just wants his ego stroked for all eternity is kind of a selfish, disappointing god.
In the beginning God didn't command all this obsequious outward worship displays. His commands allowed for a lot of freedom, there was no religion, God just commanded that things lived according to the way He designed them to work. God's self esteem didn't need a bunch of people falling on their face and praising how great He is, He already knows He's greater than everything. He didn't need our verbal praise, or any rituals or sacrifices, just live according to the purposes that you were created for. In Human's case, to have dominion of the Earth, and to keep and dress the garden.
The idea that God had changed into some praise starved egomaniac kind of diminishes it all.
and it lowered trust in God.

but what I read, is things like Isaiah 65, where it's a very earthly scene, and also an Edenic scene. Earthly activities, people building houses and planting vineyards and having children, and God hears and answers prayer before people even ask, and God Himself is rejoicing on the Earth.
I see that and I think.. yeah, that's righteousness, restore things to how they were supposed to be, How He meant them to be, and then creation makes more sense, He wasn't creating a bunch of slaves to stroke His ego, He created a world He wanted to live in, and people He wanted to live with. I can love that.
I don't know if I can love someone self absorbed in ego who just expects you to stand around a throne singing their praises.

So the consideration of things in the beginning , and things in the end, are very important to me, because they reflect the nature of the God am supposed to love and worship.
I guess along with Adam's motivations, God's motivations are also important to meditate on for me.
Yes I'm aware God's motivations are ultimately unfathomable for me, but a self absorbed ego starved god is so alien that I don't know that I could love them
like I stopped listening to John Piper because ultimately his central theology is that God just wants praise and glory and that God radiates glory off and we basically get high on it like a drug and that's our fulfillment. He even terms it "Christian Hedonism" Once he went off about the "God centeredness of God" it became .. either my faith had just been shipwrecked by a self centered god... or I go to the bible and stop listening to John Piper.
I chose the latter.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I like that. The most important thing to keep in mind IMO is that the God who created beauty, pleasure, all things good, will only give a better life yet in the next. But love is the center of it all. And as we come to increasingly know a God of infinite love, then we come to increasingly trust that, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no human mind has known that which God has prepare for those who love Him." 1 Cor 2:9

Reactions: Jamdoc
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I like that. The most important thing to keep in mind IMO is that the God who created beauty, pleasure, all things good, will only give a better life yet in the next. But love is the center of it all. And as we come to increasingly know a God of infinite love, then we come to increasingly trust that, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no human mind has known that which God has prepare for those who love Him." 1 Cor 2:9

I think one of the most reassuring passages for me is
Isaiah 65
18 But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
19 And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.
Like.. so many people just put forth this image.. of God sitting on a throne.. just.... sitting there, basking in worship.
like this fat king being served grapes.
I hate that.

What defeats that image is God not just wanting you to center only on Him, but on the creation that reflects its creator (which it does, if God, the creator, creates an uninspiring creation, what does that say about Him?). Like it makes it possible to enjoy Him more when creation is beautiful and reflects Him.
and the image of God walking around mingling with people, relating to people celebrating with them.... it's a much more empathetic vision than the fat glowing king one.

Upvote 0