Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@DamianWarS made a post about how our culture should operate when it comes to young men and women, and I thought it was excellent. It can be found here:
Should I wait till marriage?

While I like the post above, unless there was a complete upheaval of western culture, it's not going to happen.

So if you were to pose the question, as a young person who is a Christian in western culture, how can I become well educated, financially stable, and successful?

To me the answer is very clear:
  • Avoid any romantic relationships (especially true if you're a man)
  • Graduate high school
  • Graduate university in a program that corresponds to a well paying job (avoid the arts)
  • Establish a well paying career
  • Get married to someone of equal success and direction (OR not at all if you're a man)
  • Get a prenup if the person is not of equal success and direction
  • Do not have kids
On average, I would say in this culture and economy, following these "rules" will lead to the best outcome. You might think, well I didn't do any of this and I'm doing well, sure, but it's a different time now. Where I live near Toronto the average home is 1/2 a mil, the cost of education, and living expenses is nuts.

What are your thoughts CF?

Tetra

Last edited:
Reactions: rockytopva

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So if you were to pose the question, as a young person who is a Christian in western culture, how can I become well educated, financially stable, and successful?

• Graduate high school
  • Graduate university in a program that corresponds to a well paying job (avoid the arts)
  • Get married to someone of equal success and direction (OR not at all if you're a man)
  • Do not have kids
On average, I would say in this culture and economy, following these "rules" will lead to the best outcome. You might think, well I didn't do any of this and I'm doing well, sure, but it's a different time now. Where I live near Toronto the average home is 1/2 a mil, the cost of education, and living expenses is nuts.

Tetra

Ask God for His will to be worked in your life and your life will be far more joyful knowing that you are welcoming to God's destiny.
Who Else Want's Their Destiny Answered, Well Before You Pray?
The outcome will not change, but your peace with it will.

What Does the Bible Say About Gods Peace?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@DamianWarS made a post about how our culture should operate when it comes to young men and women, and I thought it was excellent. It can be found here:

While I like the post above, unless there was a complete upheaval of western culture, it's not going to happen.

• Graduate high school
  • Do not have kids

Tetra
Where is the part where you give glory to God?

Reactions: Tetra
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

• Graduate high school
  • Do not have kids

Tetra

Do the RIGHT THING(s)
Stay connected with God
Serve God
Follow God's guidance as to marriage, kids, etc.
Practice LOVE toward your neighbor
Work Hard
Pay your bills
Live well within your means
Be committed

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,136,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

• Avoid any relationships (especially true if you're a man)
  • Graduate high school
  • Do not have kids

Tetra

My thought on this? My thoughts are that the philosophical and social assumptions underwriting our modern Western culture AND the materialist, market economy it perpetuates......IS a part of the problem.

No one should have to 'avoid' relationships at all cost(s) until and unless certain economic attainments are had. No, no one who would like to find a life spouse should have to avoid marriage unless they can 'realize' their so-called need to go to college and actually graduate with a degree. No, no one should have to 'obtain' what is otherwise only and specifically a "well paying career"------as if there were really enough of those to go around if people would just harness their potential, because there's not! And there will be less in the future.

It shouldn't in all necessity come down to our questioning whether or not we should be or could be married if, and only if, we find someone who is "of equal success and direction," nor should marriage be avoided along with the usual attempts to have children.

No, the reason we find ourselves in this social quandry today is because we all have been ethically, morally, and religiously emasculated by Enlightenment assumptions that don't hold water for more than 5 minutes and which have fragmented our notions about moral duties to our families.

And whose fault is all of this? God's? No! I honestly don't think He's the one who's insisted that everyone just wait it out indefinitely, no matter what and no matter how long it takes until a person---------and here's the 'trick'-------gets himself or herself all financially situated so as to be autonomous and individually sufficient through individual enterprise, apart from anything one's family might provide.

The upshot in all of this is that we do all of this to ourselves. Why? Because our social philosophies which we've often imbibed deprive us of love for one another. As it has been alluded to before somewhere else, we might say that "our love for one another has grown cold." So, now we act and react in our intimate relations out of desperation and confusion rather than by way of Christian social principles. Parents refuse to act as parents in a communitarian fashion, and children refuse to abide by communitarian principles in cooperation with their parents. So........................................here we are, each often going it "alone" in confusion and desperation. Oh for joy!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do the RIGHT THING(s)
Stay connected with God
Serve God
Follow God's guidance as to marriage, kids, etc.
Practice LOVE toward your neighbor
Work Hard
Pay your bills
Live well within your means
Be committed
If someone chooses to get married, ours views are not in opposition. No argument form me.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You should be doing that in all things, so that goes without saying.
Yet you didn't say it. The values I pulled out of the OP was how to be successful in western culture with as much money as possible with measurable milestones of things like houses starting a 1/2 Mil.

Western culture has its own direction and we (christians) don't control it but that doesn't mean we need to base our worth and successes on its values. Forget about that plan and serve Christ with everything you got, die poor or rich but do so to give him glory from the onset.

How does your plan align with the prime focus of giving God glory and spreading his message so that others may glorify his name too? Because that's the plan, everything else is just the platform we do it on.

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

• Graduate high school
  • Do not have kids

Tetra

These bullet points may yield financial stability (but even that is not guaranteed), and they may yield an education in an academic sense. But I question whether we should count this as "success". If you define "success" in terms of financial stability, then fine. But I wonder if people who are merely financially stable feel as though their lives are successful and meaningful. The Bible defines success in life in very different terms.

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My thought on this? My thoughts are that the philosophical and social assumptions underwriting our modern Western culture AND the materialist, market economy it perpetuates......IS a part of the problem.

No one should have to 'avoid' relationships at all costs unless certain economic attainments are had. No one who would like to find a life spouse should have to avoid marriage unless they 'realize' they need to go to college and actually graduate with a degree. No one should have to 'obtain' what is otherwise only and specifically a "well paying career"------as if there were really enough of those to go around if people would just harness their potential, because there's not! And there will be less in the future.

It shouldn't in all necessity come down to our questioning whether or not we should be or could be married if, and only if, we find someone who is "of equal success and direction," nor should marriage be avoided along with the usual attempts to have children.

No, the reason we find ourselves in this social quandry today is because we all have been ethically, morally, and religiously emasculated by Enlightenment assumptions that don't hold water for more than 5 minutes and which have fragmented our notions about moral duties to our families.

And whose fault is all of this? God's? No! I honestly don't think He's the one who's insisted that everyone just wait it out indefinitely, no matter what and no matter how long it takes until a person---------and here's the 'trick'-------gets himself or herself all financially situated so as to be autonomous and individually sufficient through individual enterprise, apart from anything one's family might provide.

The upshot in all of this is that we do all of this do ourselves. Why? Because our social philosophies which we've often imbibed deprive us of love for one another. As it has been alluded to before somewhere else, we might say that "our love for one another has grown cold." So, now we act and react in our intimate relations out of desperation and confusion rather than by way of Christian social principles. Parents refuse to act as parents in a communitarian fashion, and children refuse to abide by communitarian principles in cooperation with their parents. So........................................here we are, each often going it "alone" in confusion and desperation. Oh for joy!
Philo, you and I agree. I mean, I started my post really liking the ideal situation layed out by @DamianWarS.

However, do you think this is going to change in our kids lifetime, or the next?

Damian's post promoted me to think, given the current economic and cultural situation, how can we not only survive, but thrive economically, socially etc. When my son asks, "Dad how can I thrive in this economy?" what do you think is the answer? I think what I proposed is fair.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These bullet points may yield financial stability (but even that is not guaranteed), and they may yield an education in an academic sense. But I question whether we should count this as "success". If you define "success" in terms of financial stability, then fine. But I wonder if people who are merely financially stable feel as though their lives are successful and meaningful. The Bible defines success in life in very different terms.
This is why I posted "success" in quotes. I realize it's subjective. No argument there.

I would never suggest anyone focus merely (as you wrote) on financial stability.

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet you didn't say it. The values I pulled out of the OP was how to be successful in western culture with as much money as possible with measurable milestones of things like houses starting a 1/2 Mil.

Western culture has its own direction and we (christians) don't control it but that doesn't mean we need to base our worth and successes on its values. Forget about that plan and serve Christ with everything you got, die poor or rich but do so to give him glory from the onset.

How does your plan align with the prime focus of giving God glory and spreading his message so that others may glorify his name too? Because that's the plan, everything else is just the platform we do it on.
Well, I just don't see these things as mutually exclusive. I can literally do everything I posted in the OP, and give glory to Christ and His plan.

I can focus hard on school, get straight A's AND share the word. I can have a well paying career, and go and make disciples of all the nations.

I don't see any issues here.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,136,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Philo, you and I agree. I mean, I started my post really liking the ideal situation layed out by @DamianWarS.

However, do you think this is going to change in our kids lifetime, or the next?
...it may be that people are 'forced' into communitarian living arrangements. The problem with this is that if it comes by economic deprivation rather than by love for family that surmounts and/or displaces the current assumptions of 'autonomy' and 'individualism,' then parents and their children will continue to be at each other's throats. It's this social philosophy that has to change; individualism as a philosophical assumption and cardinal value has to be given up for New Testament social values.

Damian's post promoted me to think, given the current economic and cultural situation, how can we not only survive, but thrive economically, socially etc. When my son asks, "Dad how can I thrive in this economy?" what do you think is the answer? I think what I proposed is fair.
When my son has asked me this at various times, I've said to him, "Son, I love you, and as much as possible in that your mother and I can provide for you and help you, you are welcome to live with us. And if and when you meet a young lady, if you find yourself in economic challenges, both you and her are welcome to live with us (within the contexts of Christian biblical social principles, of course)....and we'll just have to figure it all out until such a time comes that you and she feel that you both want to find our own place."

See, my wife and I have always told our son he is welcome in our home. I never said to him what my own father, in his individualism, told me------that I have to leave so he can "live life in the way that he wants to live it." So, there's little to no reason for my son..............................to have to wait, and wait, and wait, and then thereby pull his hair out in then asking himself, "Should I have sex with this woman since we're not married and we can't yet afford to be?" No one should have to ask this question unless their parents are dead and they're struggling financially on their own.

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...it may be that people are 'forced' into communitarian living arrangements. The problem with this is that if it comes by economic deprivation rather than by love for family that surmounts and/or displaces the current assumptions of 'autonomy' and 'individualism,' then parents and their children will continue to be at each other's throats. It's this social philosophy that has to change; individualism as a philosophical assumption and cardinal value has to be given up for New Testament social values.

When my son has asked me this at various times, I've said to him, "Son, I love you, and as much as possible in that your mother and I can provide for you and help you, you are welcome to live with us. And if and when you meet a young lady, if you find yourself in economic challenges, both you and her are welcome to live with us (within the contexts of Christian biblical social principles, of course)....and we'll just have to figure it all out until such a time comes that you and she feel that you both want to find our own place."

See, my wife and I have always told our son he is welcome in our home. I never said to him what my own father, in his individualism, told me------that I have to leave so he can "live life in the way that he wants to live it." So, there's little to no reason for my son..............................to have to wait, and wait, and wait, and then thereby pull his hair out in then asking himself, "Should I have sex with this woman since we're not married and we can't yet afford to be?" No one should have to ask this question unless their parents are dead and they're struggling financially on their own.
I think you're a great dad for that man. My kids are only 10 and 7 so those questions are on my mind but they haven't been asked yet. If you're as a parent in a position to do that, that's awesome. I did everything I was told to do (married young, kids young, left the house at 20 etc) and now I'm paying the price given the economy. My kids will always be welcome to stay at my place when they grow up, I just hope I'll be able to afford it.

My argument would still be though, given the economy and culture, even if your/my kids stayed home they would still be more financially stable, well educated and successful if they follow what I'm proposing, than if they didn't.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,136,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you're a great dad for that man. My kids are only 10 and 7 so those questions are on my mind but they haven't been asked yet. If you're as a parent in a position to do that, that's awesome. I did everything I was told to do (married young, kids young, left the house at 20 etc) and now I'm paying the price given the economy. My kids will always be welcome to stay at my place when they grow up, I just hope I'll be able to afford it.

Thanks for your commendation! But I do what I do not because I'm a 'great guy.' Rather, much of how I have decided to deal with my child comes by my understanding of what the New Testament teaches, and I think I see rather clearly what it is that Jesus/God wants us to do in our families. It's clear, but it's not easy.

But sure. It's hard out there for families everywhere, or most everywhere. My wife and I started out, and had our son, while living in only a 600 square foot apartment situated on the fringes of the not so nice side of town. Now, we're doing a bit better financially and can, without too much difficulty, continue to provide a 'room' for our son to live in. And while we can't just buy him a car or a house, he can live with us, and we affirm even the idea that when he finds a woman to marry, she's welcome here too!

My argument would still be though, given the economy and culture, even if your/my kids stayed home they would still be more financially stable, well educated and successful if they follow what I'm proposing, than if they didn't.
Yep! And that's the wisdom of it. But since Individualism and Autonomy are so highly (and somewhat falsely) prized in the West, it's no wonder we see the social fragmentation and economic deprivation that many people face at a young age, separated from any substantive assistance which their parents could have (or should have) provided so that that younger person could marry and not have to 'wait' to be with someone that he/she is in the process of learning to truly love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,859.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Avoiding romance seems dubious to me. Seek it out and find someone to spend the rest of your life with as soon as possible.

I would also suggest a university degree isn't necessary. Consider a working apprenticeship. Less debt, decent income, paid to become skilled.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Avoiding romance seems dubious to me. Seek it out and find someone to spend the rest of your life with as soon as possible.

I would also suggest a university degree isn't necessary. Consider a working apprenticeship. Less debt, decent income, paid to become skilled.
I'm currently in university and I can tell you, romantic relationships serve as a major distraction for these kids, it's all they talk about. I'm not saying to never have romantic relationships, I'm saying the probability of success decreases (at least from what I can tell in uni), again, I find this especially true for men.

University isn't needed, but on average those that have it tend to do better. Funny though, I was a machinist and choose to go back to uni. Trades are great, but they do have there own set of problems to overcome.

It seems reasonable to me to try and increase the probability of success, not decrease it. Will having a relationship "asap" as you put it increase the probability or decrease it?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
unless there was a complete upheaval of western culture, it's not going to happen.
I would not put my hope in human culture for what is really beneficial.

Example can work very well. We can help younger people find out how to love, so they aren't confusing pleasure feelings with love.

as a young person who is a Christian in western culture, how can I become well educated, financially stable, and successful?
In order for it to be "well" with your soul . . . and not merely quantity . . . one needs to first trust in Christ and start new, depending on God to create the person's life. And notice how the very start of Jesus Christ's Sermon on the Mount is about . . . how to be. How we are in our character has so much to do with what we please to believe and whom we marry and what we do.

And only our Heavenly Father is able to change our character into how He is in us > 1 John 4:17. Then we share with Him in His own creativity for however much or little we have. We see how ones are turning out because they might have so much but they are limited to how they are selfish.

"You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own affections." (2 Corinthians 6:12)

Get married to someone of equal success and direction
This can be restrictive.

Get a prenup if the person is not of equal success and direction
If you don't trust one another, why are you getting married?

On average, I would say in this culture and economy, following these "rules" will lead to the best outcome. You might think, well I didn't do any of this and I'm doing well, sure, but it's a different time now.
It is wise not to allow wrong people to decide what we do. If you can't tell the difference between someone who is real in love and honesty, versus someone otherwise . . . the problem is not being able to tell the difference. It is silly to suppose that methods and legal paperwork are what are needed. You can't control someone to love, but you can be with God able to tell the difference.

Where I live near Toronto the average home is 1/2 a mil, the cost of education, and living expenses is nuts.
There are people who have made an idol out of independence, and what their idol really is is isolation!!!!

Only with Jesus we can be free >

"and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again." (2 Corinthians 5:15)

Upvote 0

Tetra

Dec 18, 2016
Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not put my hope in human culture for what is really beneficial.
Me neither.

Example can work very well. We can help younger people find out how to love, so they aren't confusing pleasure feelings with love.
Sounds great, no issues with that. :)

In order for it to be "well" with your soul . . . and not merely quantity . . . one needs to first trust in Christ and start new, depending on God to create the person's life. And notice how the very start of Jesus Christ's Sermon on the Mount is about . . . how to be. How we are in our character has so much to do with what we please to believe and whom we marry and what we do.

And only our Heavenly Father is able to change our character into how He is in us > 1 John 4:17. Then we share with Him in His own creativity for however much or little we have. We see how ones are turning out because they might have so much but they are limited to how they are selfish.

"You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own affections." (2 Corinthians 6:12)
I don't know exactly what these specific verses have to do with what we're talking about, but I love the Bible so rock on.

This can be restrictive.
... how? Can you elaborate?

If you don't trust one another, why are you getting married?
I would recommend not getting married if you're a man. If you must, and you're unequal in terms of prior success, then a prenup is logical.

It is wise not to allow wrong people to decide what we do. If you can't tell the difference between someone who is real in love and honesty, versus someone otherwise . . . the problem is not being able to tell the difference. It is silly to suppose that methods and legal paperwork are what are needed. You can't control someone to love, but you can be with God able to tell the difference.
Awesome, I'd recommend just not getting married.

There are people who have made an idol out of independence, and what their idol really is is isolation!!!!
People make idols out of all sorts of things. I'd recommend not doing that.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I just don't see these things as mutually exclusive. I can literally do everything I posted in the OP, and give glory to Christ and His plan.

I can focus hard on school, get straight A's AND share the word. I can have a well paying career, and go and make disciples of all the nations.

I don't see any issues here.
You can but it feels your starting point is your life goals of monetary gain and you're just a christian while you do it. Try not to put giving God glory as just something you do but rather the core part of everything you. Why not try some spiritual goals and see how they agree with this other plan

Upvote 0