Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
< shrugs > You're totally wrong, that's all I remember at this point.

I have no idea what your label is even, it doesn't matter, I was referring to what you posted.

How can you say someone is wrong but not offer up ANYTHING to the contrary?

What makes your opinion more valid than another if you have NOTHING to back it up?

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you know what? You're absolutely right. I'm sorry, so I will add in my last reply for him to PM me. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of what his post meant. Besides Jesus says to confront one another and if nothing gets resolved then dust myself off and then move on.

Thanks.
Good for you. You got class.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Unfortunately, you are probably quite right. We will have to put up with this like we do spams, hoaxes, scammers, and viruses.
Quite right. The part that is interesting is those who use the cultic approach don't know the difference between an assertion and an argument. There is a difference. When I point this out they tend to get a bit defensive.

Especially those threads on sinless perfection.

Upvote 0

dannheim

Honey Badger
Oct 10, 2014
Rancho Mirage CA
✟23,170.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Imagine you are reading a post on CF (Not this one, :holy:), and you start reading some strange stuff, stuff that you have never read in the Bible. It may have a nice sound to it, but it just doesn't seem quite right. It might even be "alluring" or looking like an appealing bait, or appetizer. Then you recognize it. You can almost hear the hiss of the serpent in the Garden of Eden. You know now that this is not the voice of the Spirit, or of Jesus (John 10:27). You could easily just stop reading, and move on to another post, or something else, and that might be the appropriate action

The best way to respond to false Doctrine is to quote scripture as Jesus quoted scripture to the devil during his forty days in the desert.
I do think it's important not to be silent you should be outspoken especially when it comes to someone espousing false Doctrine.

• Useful
Reactions: Greg Merrill
Upvote 0

Jennifer Rothnie

Jan 10, 2017
Washington
✟45,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine you are reading a post on CF (Not this one, :holy:), and you start reading some strange stuff, stuff that you have never read in the Bible. It may have a nice sound to it, but it just doesn't seem quite right. It might even be "alluring" or looking like an appealing bait, or appetizer. Then you recognize it. You can almost hear the hiss of the serpent in the Garden of Eden. You know now that this is not the voice of the Spirit, or of Jesus (John 10:27). You could easily just stop reading, and move on to another post, or something else, and that might be the appropriate action for some. But these words on this post that is just not quite right, or no where close to right is still there for others to read.
So when we find posts on this website, posts maybe we don't think we necessarily should REPORT, how should we respond? Argue, debate, teach,... ? I would like to hear from you.

If a post blatantly contradicts the fundamentals of Christianity, such as claiming that faith in Christ is not the only way to be saved, etc. the post should be reported. If the post goes against other guidelines, such as declaring that other forum users aren't really Christians based on their discussion of non-salvation issues, the post should also be reported.

What to do when someone is not attacking a fundamental of the faith, but is warping scripture, takes a lot more care. 'Someone is wrong on the internet' pretty much all the time. We can always find debates to take up or people to 'correct' - but how useful that is is another topic. Nor is it always the best thing to 'rebuke' a stranger we do not know, as that isn't really being productive in contending for the faith, but more often leads to an 'I'm spiritually superior' mentality rather than one of mutual discourse and learning.

Here are some of the things I have found (mostly from posting on and moderating another site, eBible.com) that help in crafting responses to teaching that appears wrong:

- Have other users already responded to and corrected the false interpretation of scripture? (You can save a lot of time by just voicing agreement rather than re-posting points already made)

- Do I fully understand the other user's point, or am I interpreting it through my own characterization of their view or through my own traditions? (Basically, avoid knee-jerk reactions when you do not fully understand their claims. Asking for clarification first, before assuming a straw-man version of their argument, is a better first step than risking replying to a point they are not really making.)

- If the user backed up their post with scripture/historical sources, did I double check those scriptures/sources, the context, and other relevant data to ensure that they really do not say what the author claims? (This is actually an important step, as while the author might be misusing scripture there is also a chance that our own interpretation of scripture might be incorrect. I've lost count of the things I've been taught by preachers over the years that later turned out to be incorrect!

- How 'authoritative' is the user being in their claim? (If they are merely presenting an alternative view, then even if it is incorrect it is not as dangerous as someone claiming to have the only true interpretation by the Holy Spirit or the only perfect Biblical knowledge on the matter.)

- How beneficial would any response to this I make be? (If the discussion is already swamped with comments, new ones may get lost; If the original author appear to be unreasonable in discussing scripture, is pretty much incoherent, or is just repeating himself and ignoring feedback, it may be 'pearls before swine' to try and engage; if no one in the thread is actually taking the author seriously, then there is little danger of anyone being led astray; etc.)

- How much time should be spent invested in correcting the error? (Basically, the answer should be proportional to the spiritual impact of the error. If it's a point of minor historic trivia, then a brief response with a source to correct the error should suffice. If it is a point of major spiritual confusion that could potentially lead someone down the wrong path, a longer post listing scriptures and concerns might be more appropriate. If a discussion is ongoing but getting nowhere, then at some point the call needs to be made to stop replying as it is of minimal spiritual benefit.)

- What spirit am I responding in? (Am I seeking to genuinely protect newer Christians from false teaching or to gently correct a Christian brother in love and humility? Or am I seeking to show off my spiritual knowledge or to take spiritual authority over them?)

- Is a public forum the best place for a 'rebuke?' (In general, internet forums actually are not good places for 'rebukes'. 'Rebukes' more often lead to flame wars or 'my verse/spirituality/relationship with the spirit/etc.' trumps yours' arguments that just go in circles. Rebukes are more effective when done in love to people we personally know that are caught in sin.)

- Does my response focus more on my speculation of the spirituality and intellect of another user than it does on the supporting scripture of my point? (Focusing on the scripture is actually more helpful to other users observing the thread, and avoids a lot of contentions and misunderstandings.)

- Is my response well supported with scripture and other sources as applicable? (Re-reading over the post before submitting it is helpful to spot 'substantiation flaws' in the post. If my post is appealing to tradition, relationship with the Spirit, or other blanket statements that they are 'just wrong' and you are 'just right' - it might not be the helpful rebuke at all!)

- Does my response directly address the topic and specific verses discussed, or is my response mostly confined to countering with my interpretation of another verse in the Bible? (Perhaps this is just a pet peeve of mine, but I find it very frustrating when someone responds to a post of mine by ignoring the many support scriptures, Greek analysis, and context under discussion with their own interpretation of a completely different verse in scripture, and the basic response 'this other verse means this, so your interpretation of all those other scriptures must be wrong.' I find this type of reply hardly 'convincing.')

- What is the spirit I am replying in? (Am I responding in love, seeking unity in the Spirit but wanting to stand firm against error, or am I responding in a spirit of contention, envy, etc.? Do I truly care about the well-being of the user and others in the thread, or am I responding out of the anger/dislike I feel for a specific poster?)

- Can I trace back the source of the user's claims? (While not always possible, understanding the specific commentary, teacher, or denominational tradition where a user got their claims helps greatly in crafting a response to it.)

- Am I rushing to the label 'false teacher' every time someone gets something wrong, but not open to the fact I may also be wrong? (Humans are fallible. Saying something incorrectly or holding a wrong view doesn't make one a false teacher. Denying Christ, living in sensuality, and teaching others to follow another gospel make one a false teacher. We need to watch out for the tendency to judge other's spirituality or salvation every time we differ on something minor, and be open to correction ourselves.)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Imagine you are reading a post on CF (Not this one, :holy:), and you start reading some strange stuff,
Yes, as you witnessed today.
So when we find posts on this website, posts maybe we don't think we necessarily should REPORT, how should we respond? Argue, debate, teach,... ? I would like to hear from you.
Really ? Then why the next quote >>>
Seeing you both are going back and forth on my original thread, I though I would step in here and say "Sounds like you both ought to just drop it and move on, or start another thread to carry this on. Just saying... or I could just mind my own business....
"your own business" was this thread was what was going on in your own thread,
and then instead of learning how to respond or find out you make the error deeper ? >>
Good for you. You got class.
It's up to you now,
if you want to see / learn more / in just the type of thing you brought up in the op,
or not.

Upvote 0

Phillip Lacefield

May 8, 2017
sacramento, CA
✟15,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you see or hear false doctrine being taught, you should call them on it.
We are told in Scripture to "Test the Spirits" and to refute and expose those who teach false doctrine.
See e.g. John 3, 1 John 1-5, etc.

Upvote 0

jamespyles

Jun 30, 2011
Boise, ID
Visit site
✟17,448.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Imagine you are reading a post on CF (Not this one, :holy:), and you start reading some strange stuff, stuff that you have never read in the Bible. It may have a nice sound to it, but it just doesn't seem quite right. It might even be "alluring" or looking like an appealing bait, or appetizer. Then you recognize it. You can almost hear the hiss of the serpent in the Garden of Eden. You know now that this is not the voice of the Spirit, or of Jesus (John 10:27). You could easily just stop reading, and move on to another post, or something else, and that might be the appropriate action for some. But these words on this post that is just not quite right, or no where close to right is still there for others to read.
It reminds me of years ago, while working as a security supervisor at a hotel, of occasionally coming across inappropriate contentographic magazines left in the hallways. Now I could be tempted to look at them, or I could ignore them, or I could just throw them away. But then others might still find them and fall for/to their destructiveness. As a Christian I developed a plan for finding them in the future. "Find it, fold it, and fling it." Find it, and don't look at the cover and be enticed by that, and then want to see more. NO!!! Fold that magazine in half immediately so as not to see the cover. Then don't just throw it away for someone else to find. Take it to the trash compactor and fling it all the way to the back, and push the button to move it to a place where it will become irretrievable (at least by me and others in the hotel.) Now not everyone has access to a trash compactor, but come up with a similar plan for dealing with your own temptations, something that is practical, workable, and effective.
I agree there is some pretty strange stuff out there, but there is also (in my opinion) some pretty strange stuff that mainstream Christianity considers "sound doctrine". The most difficult person to talk to is someone who is unwilling to question his or her own absolute faith in their "sound doctrine." Eventually, I had to walk away.

Upvote 0

lben

Dec 27, 2010
Ashtabula, OH
✟21,731.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
This is no easy business. It will require operating in spiritual gifts. Like I said, mine are in interpretation of dreams and visions, and this may help him a little. I'm thinking of telling him about the dream publicly, although I suppose this too may get me red flagged by the moderators if they notice it.

I was going along with the flow until we got to this nonsense. Dreams and visions? Seriously? That's how cults get started. You might want to rethink those "gifts".

• Agree
Reactions: Greg Merrill
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God doesn't belong in a box of what we perceive Him to be... That "nonsense" still happens today as it did in the OT and with Joseph speaking to him in a dream.

Maybe instead of condemning, there should be more uplifting/engaging conversations....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was going along with the flow until we got to this nonsense. Dreams and visions? Seriously? That's how cults get started. You might want to rethink those "gifts".

No offense taken, Iben. But please consider what the word says. Peter quoted Joel 2:28 immediately after Pentecost, yet this prophecy refers specifically to those days which are immediately prior to Christ's return (Joel 2:29-31). This means the prophecy's ultimate fulfillment is still ahead of us, not behind it.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It reminds me of years ago, while working as a security supervisor at a hotel, of occasionally coming across inappropriate contentographic magazines left in the hallways. Now I could be tempted to look at them, or I could ignore them, or I could just throw them away. But then others might still find them and fall for/to their destructiveness. As a Christian I developed a plan for finding them in the future. "Find it, fold it, and fling it." Find it, and don't look at the cover and be enticed by that, and then want to see more. NO!!! Fold that magazine in half immediately so as not to see the cover. Then don't just throw it away for someone else to find. Take it to the trash compactor and fling it all the way to the back, and push the button to move it to a place where it will become irretrievable (at least by me and others in the hotel.) Now not everyone has access to a trash compactor, but come up with a similar plan for dealing with your own temptations, something that is practical, workable, and effective.

I hope you don't think that in the OT Satan had to role of deceiving people into disobeying God's Law and that in the NT he has the role of deceiving people people to into obeying it.

Depending on the situation, there are times when it is good to reply to someone and times when we should not. However, regardless of whether you choose to reply, I think it is important for our own sake to develop the ability to be able to articulate exactly why a doctrine is false and why the doctrine that you hold is true. I don't think there is anyone whose doctrine is 100% true, so it is important to be evaluate ideas in this way where we can identify flaws determine whether there is any merit to a position that we currently disagree with. I know I've changed my mind about many issues through discussion on forums, even about one that I consider to be very important. It also good to be able to determine when continuing to interact with someone is a waste of time. However, on a public forum that needs to be balanced against the fact you aren't just trying to convince the person you are interacting with, but also all of the anonymous readers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No offense taken, Iben. But please consider what the word says. Peter quoted Joel 2:28 immediately after Pentecost, yet this prophecy refers specifically to those days which are immediately prior to Christ's return (Joel 2:29-31). This means the prophecy's ultimate fulfillment is still ahead of us, not behind it.
Good example, "no offense taken".... also not just "ahead" of us .... but present for generations in line with GOD'S WORD (the most important test) ...
Tests intended to APPROVE something - a positive hope or expectation, with the safeguard that
if it is something NOT APPROVED, like this>>
If you see or hear false doctrine being taught, you should call them on it.
We are told in Scripture to "Test the Spirits" and to refute and expose those who teach false doctrine.
See e.g. John 3, 1 John 1-5, etc.
it may come out, be brought out in the LIGHT for what it is.

Test posts and teachings to APPROVE THEM,
if they pass the test - positive expectation, GOOD and WELL,
but it is not always positive results - a post or a teaching even though hoped to be true , may fail the test, at once or in a while, and be seen in the LIGHT of GOD'S WORD as not true.

Jesus and the Apostles throughout NT strictly cautioned all the ekklesia to test everything ( even if from an Apostle ) or from the SHINING ONE- (appearing as an angel of light, though false and deadly) ....and in part because of the kind of dangerous
spiritual deception that started or became known world wide from toronto in 1991, this was serious error and fatal for many fellowships, as seen world wide ever since then - it spread quickly in the 90's, and places / meetings/ assemblies that had once had a good, perhaps 'sterling' reputation for faithful service and testimony of their lives for Jesus and for one another,
were decimated (no truth remaining/ but still 'appearing' oh so strong ) before they knew what hit them (many never realized it even to this day, today), according to testimonies at least from the united states and from south africa directly, and other countries (many) observed.....

Yes , in TRUTH the Spirit of YHWH is moving around the world, active in believers as written and prophecied in YHWH"S WORD,
but the false teachers and false spirits , proven/exposed by testing as Scripture says,
are(still) very big and popular and very deceptive. (false doctrines and teachings)

Thus the importance of the OP/ topic of this thread,
and of relying on the WORD OF GOD, THE BIBLE, of hearing the SHEPHERD JESUS, and of trusting and relying on the FATHER in Heaven every day
- always in line and in harmony with all SCRIPTURE, as always (to pass the test).

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
also not just "ahead" of us .... but present for generations in line with GOD'S WORD (the most important test) ...

:amen:
Tests intended to APPROVE something - a positive hope or expectation, with the safeguard that if it is something NOT APPROVED... it may come out, be brought out in the LIGHT for what it is.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Since 1991, millions of "believers" have been clearly and obviously deceived and led totally astray by that "unmistakable choice" / the so-called "voice of " the holy Spirit they thought or were told they heard.

Thousands of fellowships have observed this, many of them tragically broken because of that.

There is online a name for the deceptive spirit , whether it is an accurate name or not I don't know and have not searched out or sought,
but it is basically demonic deception, accepted by / because of feelings and emotions and false teachers and false prophets in charge of millions who are listening to them and trusting them and sending them billions of dollars, or millions of dollars anyway....

This is about the title and the op: the false gospel/ false doctrine world wide
that
millions have fallen for. Be on guard constantly against all deception, as Jesus and teh Apostles daily warned the disciples.
It is "apparently" a "good thing", the deception is so much like the appearance of the SHINING ONE (and angel of light)...
Or like the scribes and pharisees, sitting in the seat of authority
with "impeccable" credentials (yes, today even - "impeccable" credentials),
leaders and false prophets with millions following them...

The point is to TEST, TEST, TEST everything in constant prayer before believing it, if it is with "signs and wonders" "dreams and visioins"
especially so
since it is written the deceiver will use "impeccable" credentials, suit and tie (dressed right - in $2000 suits), and signs and wonders, and dreams and appearances....
all "counterfeit" when the source is evil .....
all fine and good and in line with all SCRIPTURE when the source is GOD.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just as it was difficult for Peter and the other new, Jewish Christians, to accept some things that "flew in the face of Judaism" (eating previously called unclean foods, eating with Gentiles, etc.) after 1,500 years of history to the contrary, it may be hard for Christians to accept this outpouring of the Spirit (if the Rapture hasn't already occurred) where God is using dreams (I think of the reports in the Middle East), unlike most of the time of the Church Age.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hope you don't think that in the OT Satan had to role of deceiving people into disobeying God's Law and that in the NT he has the role of deceiving people people to into obeying it.

Depending on the situation, there are times when it is good to reply to someone and times when we should not. However, regardless of whether you choose to reply, I think it is important for our own sake to develop the ability to be able to articulate exactly why a doctrine is false and why the doctrine that you hold is true. I don't think there is anyone whose doctrine is 100% true, so it is important to be evaluate ideas in this way where we can identify flaws determine whether there is any merit to a position that we currently disagree with. I know I've changed my mind about many issues through discussion on forums, even about one that I consider to be very important. It also good to be able to determine when continuing to interact with someone is a waste of time. However, on a public forum that needs to be balanced against the fact you aren't just trying to convince the person you are interacting with, but also all of the anonymous readers.
Now this isn't meant as an attack, nor even a personal criticism, honestly, and I like what you have said, but I honestly wonder about the trustworthiness of one that would say "I've changed my mind about many issues." That tells me you were either wrong about many issues in the past, or that you are unstable, and change with every wind of doctrine. I don't know you personally, so I am just speaking hypothetically, with no offense intended. I am thinking just intellectually and in general, not emotionally or to be picking on you specifically. I know not everybody is blessed to start of having good teaching, and have to try to overcome some bad teaching. I was blessed to have good teaching from the start, and have rarely had to change my view. Again, no offense intended.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now this isn't meant as an attack, nor even a personal criticism, honestly, and I like what you have said, but I honestly wonder about the trustworthiness of one that would say "I've changed my mind about many issues." That tells me you were either wrong about many issues in the past, or that you are unstable, and change with every wind of doctrine. I don't know you personally, so I am just speaking hypothetically, with no offense intended. I am thinking just intellectually and in general, not emotionally or to be picking on you specifically. I know not everybody is blessed to start of having good teaching, and have to try to overcome some bad teaching. I was blessed to have good teaching from the start, and have rarely had to change my view. Again, no offense intended.

I expect believers to change over time. It can be that unless a person is changing, learning new things, they may be stuck in their own 'fortress', sometimes for example from not doing the repentance Christ came to call us to -- as we repent and let go of sins, we become able to progress, and see things in new ways. The lessons we learn from our change are often very helpful to others too. This is one way in which "confess your sins to one another" helps us.

Even Paul would write: "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."

Which is surprising at first, but later we begin to understand. It's like a "race" and we must continue, progress.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I expect believers to change over time. It can be that unless a person is changing, learning new things, they may be stuck in their own 'fortress', sometimes for example from not doing the repentance Christ came to call us to -- as we repent and let go of sins, we become able to progress, and see things in new ways. The lessons we learn from our change are often very helpful to others too. This is one way in which "confess your sins to one another" helps us.

Even Paul would write: "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me."

Which is surprising at first, but later we begin to understand. It's like a "race" and we must continue, progress.
Thank you for your positive reply. I hope you didn't take offense at what I said before. It doesn't seem like it, and that speaks volumes of good about you. I agree with what you are saying. I also think about something else, not because of what you are saying specifically, but just because of my own past experience. We always hear that Christians need to grow up, mature, and that it takes time, and that we should never stop learning. But I think some people "act/think" like the purpose of the life on earth is just to mature in Christ and then you go to Heaven. What a waste. I think we are to mature in Christ, and then stay on earth for a while to serve in that maturity.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.