Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I know what most of you will say, but hear me out. If a person on this earth were absolutely certain they were going to hell, is their anyway they could physically prepare themselves for such as place. I mean ways such as subjecting yourself to immense heat, burning yourself with fire, knawing on your own tongue and constantly immersing yourself in complete darkness? Would this help prepare someone for such a place?

Ace99

Alive in Christ
Sep 1, 2012
England
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If a person was certain they were going to hell, and then said Lord Jesus I accept you into my life, I am a sinner and I repent, then they are going to heaven, God will accept a person no matter what he has done if they come to him and repent, he doesn't judge like the world judges, we are all sinners, then if we choose Jesus were sinners saved by grace, bottom line is if they don't choose Jesus they will be going to hell, there is no name under heaven, from which you can be saved. God bless

• Haha
Reactions: Codi Weston
Upvote 0

Bear.Fr00t

Fruit Inspector
May 5, 2010
✟16,022.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know what most of you will say, but hear me out. If a person on this earth were absolutely certain they were going to hell, is their anyway they could physically prepare themselves for such as place. I mean ways such as subjecting yourself to immense heat, burning yourself with fire, knawing on your own tongue and constantly immersing yourself in complete darkness? Would this help prepare someone for such a place?

How do you know what hell will be like?

Upvote 0

dollarsbill

Jan 17, 2012
✟7,746.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no way to prepare for Hell. It is the worst nightmare come true.

Upvote 0

PureDose

Pinball Wizard
Sep 18, 2012
✟850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Preparation, to avoid judgment and fire, wherever it comes from is found in the Gospel. 'Take in the homeless, give clothing to those without clothing, feed the hungry'... these things are normally considered to be "material and absolutely not metaphoric", but they are surely both. For everyday, we are asked to open our hearts to people.

And everyday, many close their hearts to people. And they close their minds.

'Take the lowest seat, not the highest.'

'Humble yourself and you will be exalted, exalt your self and you will be humbled.'

'Do not judge, because as you judge, it will be measured against you pressed down and heaping over.'

As you seem to be literally talking about literally going to Hell, there are many who claim to be authorities on that, but I would point out that no one knows when judgment will hit them.

Many go, "I am alive, doing fine, my career is going great, I have a spouse, and friends"... and they may think "I am protected from judgment". "I am still alive, I have not yet died, I do not know when I will die, and I am merely doing the same as everyone else". But, this sort of thinking is incorrect.

What is predicted can effectively be summed up as, in modern language, as "all of reality around you will suddenly change".

Reality challenging science fiction and fantasy is actually a very good model as to "what to expect".

What people tend to do is believe as they want to believe according to their preferences. That which they really, really want to believe -- they do so. Those who believe themselves intellectually superior to others who believe differently tend to get themselves in the worst of situations if they have used their vast intellect to close their minds.

It is literally a demonstration of power which will happen. People will have to accept many things they do not wish to accept. And they will have to do many things they would not wish to do.

If they have been very close minded towards others and closed heart, and have been quick to judge and dismiss others in their lives... they will be in a very difficult situation, because they will discover those people were not as they thought they were at all.

God is much smarter then people, and God is God. That is The Statement. But, what is most important to prepare one's self with is to understand God is love and merciful.

This is why it is very important to figure out who God is and realize how God has fed you, clothed you, protected you all of your years.

If a person is very strongly thinking, like Pharaoh did, that "there is no other", and that "I have created my own glory"... then, like Pharaoh was, they will be in a very tough situation. Because what they have been believing is what they want to believe.

And they will be persuaded what they wanted to believe is dead wrong.

The end comes like a thief, literally. There is plenty of disinformation out there specifically designed to hide this.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I very much doubt it.

As bad as this world can get, there's still grace in it. For example, people can pass out from intense pain in this world.

Well, in hell God is seeing to it that you suffer. The Bible uses imagery of a king's torturer to describe it:

Matthew 18:34-35

And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.

A torturer's job is to control your suffering rather than that you simply pass out or die as an escape.

I will assume if God is omnipotent, omniscient and intends that you shall suffer, then you will suffer completely and nothing you can do will help. In theory, he would already know that you are preparing to lessen your suffering and what means you would be employing, so would thus be able to take appropriate measures to counteract or circumvent your preparation and make you suffer to the degree He chooses.

All told, you do not want to go to hell. But that is precisely where most people are going:

Matthew 7:14

For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Furthermore, the reason they are going there rather than being spared is ultimately down to God's choice:

Romans 9:18-24

So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory — even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?

God makes a relative few "vessels" for mercy, while the majority are "vessels" of wrath prepared for destruction as God desires to show his wrath.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ultima4257

Aug 15, 2005
In my house, somewhere in the world
✟18,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I very much doubt it.

As bad as this world can get, there's still grace in it. For example, people can pass out from intense pain in this world.

Well, in hell God is seeing to it that you suffer. The Bible uses imagery of a king's torturer to describe it:

Matthew 18:34-35

And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.
A torturer's job is to control your suffering rather than that you simply pass out or die as an escape.

I will assume if God is omnipotent, omniscient and intends that you shall suffer, then you will suffer completely and nothing you can do will help. In theory, he would already know that you are preparing to lessen your suffering and what means you would be employing, so would thus be able to take appropriate measures to counteract or circumvent your preparation and make you suffer to the degree He chooses.

All told, you do not want to go to hell. But that is precisely where most people are going:

Matthew 7:14

For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.
Furthermore, the reason they are going there rather than being spared is ultimately down to God's choice:

Romans 9:18-24

So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.

You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?” Has the potter no right over the clay, to make out of the same lump one vessel for honorable use and another for dishonorable use? What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, in order to make known the riches of his glory for vessels of mercy, which he has prepared beforehand for glory — even us whom he has called, not from the Jews only but also from the Gentiles?
God makes a relative few "vessels" for mercy, while the majority are "vessels" of wrath prepared for destruction as God desires to show his wrath.

Thank you for your reply wiremu.white. I made this post out of anger, but it seems to be dying down now. Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my topic. :)

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for your reply wiremu.white. I made this post out of anger, but it seems to be dying down now. Thank you again for taking the time to reply to my topic. :)

If it's any consolation to you, when I first learnt all this stuff my immediate response was to hate God and I was angry for months.

I still have emotional issues with it and find myself considering quitting Christianity and declaring myself an atheist, but I am at present resigned to accepting what the Bible teaches as my conscience demands it.

Upvote 0

TrueSBHLove2012

True name... Salvationist
Sep 28, 2012
✟15,115.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Engaged
And my two cents added... If you truly knew you were going to hell... Why make the decisions to keep yourself in that seat? Do you truly believe youre unworthy?

But beyond the hypothetical analytical, theological, postmodernistic, and COMPLETELY existential......

There is no way to prepare ones self for an infliction that they cannot ever understand or fathom. It is like asking, can I prepare myself for jumping ino the sun, pre space race/ age of enlightenment. Or... What is it like to be a woman as a man? Could I prepare myself to be the opposite sex? No... Sure you can research what someone says about a topic, what empirical evidence may exist, and what some social science or feminist writer has to say (to cover all my topics I mentioned), but... None of that means a difference.

Like I said to someone the other day, you can teach me everything I need to know about the Amazon, how to survive, this, that... But I will never understand it until I am THERE.

Soooo.. Sorry I ended up more existential... but the answer is still and forever will be NO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ultima4257

Aug 15, 2005
In my house, somewhere in the world
✟18,206.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand that there may not be a need for more posts/answers but I wanted to get my two cents in.

I believe that Hell is going to be a torture for the soul, not for the physical bodies that our souls currently reside in. Therefore, things such as you described would not prepare one for hell in the slightest.

Thank you for the reply. I truely wish you are correct, but since I was raised like this I have a hard time letting go of the traditional view of hell.

Upvote 0

Edward the Theist

Aug 29, 2010
New Orleans
✟414.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is absolutely no way to tell what hell would be like, so no way to prepare yourself. Most of Jesus' descriptions were told in parables, obviously they were symbolic, and frankly, if you read the Gospels, there's no real way to tell who is saved and who isn't. You could even think you are saved only to find out that Jesus "never knew you."

If God wants to roast you, there's nothing you can do. If God wants to save you, there's still nothing you can do.

Reactions: Raiyuu
Upvote 0