WeWalkByFaith

Mar 10, 2016
Singapore
✟9,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Recently for the past 3 weeks I've been attacked by the spirit of unbelief and this is causing me to doubt God and his Word, thus I'm not able to seek refuge in him, as I constantly question myself about my trust in him, his love for me and such.

I always have questions such as ''What if God is actually just lying to us about his love, and just using it to draw us to him?'' ''What if God isn't actually who he says he is?'' and this is really tormenting, being unable to believe in God fully. I always also have paranoid thoughts like if I don't believe right now, then something bad is going to happen to me for not believing and that I won't go to Heaven which really frightens me and drives me into panic, to the point where I have to exert myself and ''force'' myself to believe which of course doesn't help. And when I asked some other Christians, they said I wasn't a true believer to begin with despite being a Christian.

I've asked a few others and they said it has to be a decision made from the heart to take God at his word, but how do I do this when there's a spirit of unbelief filling my heart with unbelief and unable fully trust in God? Will prayer help?

Please respond fast!!

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Rom 10:14-17 KJV
(14) How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
(15) And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
(16) But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
(17) So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Rom 12:3 KJV
(3) For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

the more you focus on thoughts of doubt about God, the more you will doubt; the more you focus on God's promises, the less you will doubt - since your faith is constant (a gift from God that everyone receives an equal amount of), doubt (which also cometh by hearing and hearing - but hearing what opposes the word of God) will increase or decrease according to what you focus on.

this will help:

http://moorelife.org/listseries.php?xml=rss/WithoutADoubt.xml
http://www.awmi.net/audio/audio-teachings/#/awm_a00_introduction.mp3

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I always have questions such as ''What if God is actually just lying to us about his love, and just using it to draw us to him?'' ''What if God isn't actually who he says he is?'' and this is really tormenting, being unable to believe in God fully. I always also have paranoid thoughts like if I don't believe right now, then something bad is going to happen to me for not believing and that I won't go to Heaven which really frightens me and drives me into panic, to the point where I have to exert myself and ''force'' myself to believe which of course doesn't help.
God is much better than all that. He has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind (2Tim 1.7). He came to save, not condemn (Jn 3.17), and is not in the business of nailing people on technicalities. His concern is the heart, not compulsive thoughts playing on the mind.

In Isaiah 1 God tells us to "come let us reason together". Consider the Lord and reason it out within yourself. Does it remotely make sense that the Father would sent His beloved Son to suffer so horrendously, just to try to trick us, or to entrap us with mind games? That would not only be evil, it would be highly irrational.

The Bible says that sin entered the world through man, not through God. God is perfect. He is pure Light, with no variation. He is the one you can trust completely, far more than you can any other person - including yourself.

Consider the Scripture, and reason this out. You can take your doubts to Him - He does not reproach (James 1). Also consider the qualities of God's wisdom, as given in James 3. Seek it, and you will find purity, peace, gentleness, reasonableness, and good fruit.

It all starts at the cross. The fears you have are completely incompatible with the astonishing sacrifice Jesus made their on your behalf, which speaks only of love. And as 1Jn 4 tells us, perfect love casts out fear.

Reactions: Thir7ySev3n
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Recently for the past 3 weeks I've been attacked by the spirit of unbelief and this is causing me to doubt God and his Word, thus I'm not able to seek refuge in him, as I constantly question myself about my trust in him, his love for me and such.

I always have questions such as ''What if God is actually just lying to us about his love, and just using it to draw us to him?'' ''What if God isn't actually who he says he is?'' and this is really tormenting, being unable to believe in God fully. I always also have paranoid thoughts like if I don't believe right now, then something bad is going to happen to me for not believing and that I won't go to Heaven which really frightens me and drives me into panic, to the point where I have to exert myself and ''force'' myself to believe which of course doesn't help. And when I asked some other Christians, they said I wasn't a true believer to begin with despite being a Christian.

I've asked a few others and they said it has to be a decision made from the heart to take God at his word, but how do I do this when there's a spirit of unbelief filling my heart with unbelief and unable fully trust in God? Will prayer help?

Please respond fast!!
This is a fast, easy way to remember His promises to you.

Take a pack of Post it Notes, the larger ones and write a verse on it that you find motivational like

"I will NEVER leave you or forsake you"
"3 He will be like a tree planted by the streams of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season,
whose leaf also does not wither. Whatever he does shall prosper."
"I will always build you up, not pull you down"

Put these all over the house. On the mirror,, the refrigerator, bathroom, lamp, ect. Then each day you will see them and read them.

Upvote 0

Thir7ySev3n

Psalm 139
Sep 13, 2009
✟58,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In addition to what has been said above, there is another point to be made about the integrity of a Christian's faith that is often neglected. Too often we readily recognize the need to love the LORD with all of our hearts, but this is incomplete, and consequently so will our faith be in such a condition. Jesus said we are to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind (Matthew 22:37)." How do you we love the LORD with all of our mind? The Greek word for mind used in this passage of Matthew is dianoia, and means exactly what you would expect: the mind as a faculty of understanding. So to love the LORD with all of our mind is to submit our rational faculties to the pursuit of the knowledge and understanding of God, His nature and person. Since human beings are a multi-faceted entity as designed by God in reflection of His image, we ought to strengthen our minds through the reasons we have for our faith, as the apostle Paul (Acts 17:2), disciples (1 Peter 3:15), and Jesus Himself (John 10:38, John 14:11) urged. By strengthening our faith through understanding of the truth, we reconcile the contending parts of ourselves that constantly weigh and reweigh evidence, feeling, intuition and conviction and allow our heart and mind to function in unison to affirm the truths of the Christian faith. This is abundantly beneficial to the Christian and providing them the strength and conviction they need to stand in all circumstances and contend for the faith against all opposition and adversity. I can attest to the power of an intellectually developed and considered life in our faith personally.

That said, consider this: Since God created us, the universe that surrounds us and everything extrinsic to Himself, everything in all existence derives it's being from God in its entirety. This includes the entity inside of our flesh we call the brain, which was created to be our fleshly container in which we process our thoughts, emotions and the world around us. This brain in which we contain all of our cognitive capacities and functions was provided by God all of its abilities and limitations, not only in its ability to apprehend a range of truths but in its ability to be employed to apprehend categories of truth (this point is very important so read carefully, and, if you understand, I can assure you from personal experience no such doubt will ever be able to penetrate your mind again). What I mean by ranges of truth is our brains capacity to be used to process information at certain speeds, the amount of information our brain can hold simultaneously, how efficient our thought processes are, how much access we have to our subconscious, etc.; Our quantitative abilities. What I mean by categories of truth is what we can apprehend to exist at all which we can extend the range of our capacities through to apprehend knowledge about such matters. To provide an example, the range of our cognitive capacities concerning moral truths would be applied to discriminating between events and actions to determine the moral quality of those events and actions; our cognitive capacities concerning categories of truth in this instance would be the ability to understand that their is a moral realm to apprehend at all.

Thus, if God wanted to deceive you, being the designer of your cognitive functions and capacities in their entirety, He would not even have to try. All God would have to do to deceive humankind is provide them cognitive capacities so limited that they would be absolutely unable to apprehend His deception if He were to flaunt His malevolent motives before their eyes all day long. So what you have to ask yourself is this: If God wanted to deceive me, why would He provide me the cognitive ability to discriminate between truth and falsehood with such accuracy that I would be able to discover His deception? The truth is, doubt exists for only two reasons: Ignorance and free agency. Either we are simply lacking in knowledge and unable to understand why God is abundantly worthy of our absolute trust, or we simply choose to deny Him and His testimony. This decision or ignorant response of doubt never results from rational investigation. So I would urge you, like the apostles, disciples, and Jesus Christ Himself to rationally consider all of the evidence we have for our faith and why God is worthy of that faith.

In summary, God is the author of the same cognitive functions that we must use to doubt Him or impose our perspectives onto His creative decree (how we think things ought to be), wholly by the use of the tools provided by His decree of our minds. When you consider this, it should occur to you that there is literally no more of an absurd use of our minds than to use them against the one who constituted them, to doubt what He has revealed of Himself or the perfection of His will. It's actually quite laughable, and I found impulses to doubt to be nothing more than amusements at the realization of this truth. This is not at all said to criticize you, but to help you. As Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free (John 8:31-32)." And, " if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed (John 8:36)." So hold to His teaching, because by the evidence of His life, the testimony of the Holy Spirit, and the overwhelming rational warrant we have for assent to this testimony, we can know with certainty that He is who He claims to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: longwait
Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thir7y that was a great reply! If you are willing to surrender to the will of God He will work things out for you. For example, last year I listened to Russ Walden's Word from the Lord for 2015. I applied what was said in that Word in my life. I was required to make the Lord's presence my priority, read the Word and pray. And so I did. And guess what? God made previously impossible things possible for me. He did not let my enemies reduce me. This is the first time as far as I can remember that it worked out that way for me. You see I was raised to be submissive and always my enemies had an upper hand over me. Not this time! I didn't have to answer them back or attack them in any way. The Lord did everything for me. And it all happened in 2015 itself. Here the link to Russ's video

Upvote 0

WeWalkByFaith

Mar 10, 2016
Singapore
✟9,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for all your responses, really helpful and detailed :) though I think I've really fed my doubt too much. Every time I try to believe in God and his promises my heart is always like ''Nooo he's just saying this to make himself look good'', ''How is this possible? Are you certain that God is perfect?'' so whenever I read the Bible or any other book related to God I get these kind of thoughts and it causes me severe anxiety too.

I find on days I seem to be mocking God as well, and when I want to repent, I really do not know if my repentance is genuine so I keep doing so over and over again hoping God would reassure me in some way to let me know that it is. My heart right now is constantly telling me that ''God is a hypocrite'' when he is not! And despite the irrationality, I find that my heart will not get over this logic and fully trust in God despite of all the rationality and logical reasoning in God.

What's a possible cure for this? Will praying daily help?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for all your responses, really helpful and detailed :) though I think I've really fed my doubt too much. Every time I try to believe in God and his promises my heart is always like ''Nooo he's just saying this to make himself look good'', ''How is this possible? Are you certain that God is perfect?'' so whenever I read the Bible or any other book related to God I get these kind of thoughts and it causes me severe anxiety too.

I find on days I seem to be mocking God as well, and when I want to repent, I really do not know if my repentance is genuine so I keep doing so over and over again hoping God would reassure me in some way to let me know that it is. My heart right now is constantly telling me that ''God is a hypocrite'' when he is not! And despite the irrationality, I find that my heart will not get over this logic and fully trust in God despite of all the rationality and logical reasoning in God.

What's a possible cure for this? Will praying daily help?
Praying daily will always help.

But think about this. Do you believe that God is powerful enough to create all things? Then why would this God need to create human beings and this earth, universe, land and sea just to lie to human beings?

That would be an awful lot of work for nothing.

Reactions: Thir7ySev3n
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums