• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How to not get annoyed from people making demands

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tend to assume the best from people the first time. So if you haven't had any negative feedback from this person before, haven't seen them as taking advantage of others, haven't had them take advantage of you, I would share the notes. You only become a doormat if she asks again and gives nothing back in return. We reap what we sow and you never know when you will also need her help. If you help her and a time comes for her to help you and she doesn't, that there will be the answer to say no to her from then on.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I’m very busy at university doing lots of project work and assignments and I get a message from someone I’ve never spoken to before in 3 years asking me to send them for over a weeks worth of notes. Not only do I not really want to share the notes I made but it’s not like it’s someone I know better who missed a class for a specific reason.
I see this person sit with people at the front of class most of the time so why can’t she ask people she knows for their notes. I just know that if I answer their message and send them notes that they think they’ll be able to ask for stuff on demand and I won’t be able to say no in the future.
I feel very uncomfortable sharing my things but at the same time it might be awkward not answering message. Maybe I should just leave it without accepting their message request?

Am I a nasty person or is this the correct thing to do?

Perhaps say I'll share my notes with you this one time because I believe it's important that people take their own notes. Make it a one time deal.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
No, because it was still her responsibility. When I've had to miss classes I've reached out to classmates in advance and asked if they would mind sharing their notes with me later. If they agree, then they are enabled to take their notes in a way that they wouldn't mind presenting to me. They wouldn't have to spend time scrubbing through their notes to omit anything personal they jotted in or whatever. They would be more mindful from the start, so it's less likely they'd have typos or misspellings or whatever may cause embarrassment and make them feel compelled to revise their notes before sharing them with me. And classmates have simply stated exactly what you have - that they don't like sharing their work, and I've taken their answer of no with full understanding. That's absolutely their prerogative, and there's nothing at all wrong with it. It's simply a matter or preference.

If she'd had to miss class due to some extraordinary unforeseeable circumstance she probably would have explained that to you when asking for your notes, but since she hasn't done so, I don't think that is the case. As you noted, she sits with other people. You are not the only one in the class she can ask.

I'm like Andrew, I don't like sharing my notes. Period. Nothing personal. I write in chicken scratch only I can read. Now with that being said if somebody had done as you've done, asked me in advance to share notes w them on account of having to miss for some important reason, well sure. That I'd do as a 1 time favor.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm like Andrew, I don't like sharing my notes. Period. Nothing personal. I write in chicken scratch only I can read. Now with that being said if somebody had done as you've done, asked me in advance to share notes w them on account of having to miss for some important reason, well sure. That I'd do as a 1 time favor.
So what do you think I should say to this person? They are a smart person and so were probably off on a genuine reason I presume. So I feel like a jerk not helping but I don’t want to help lol.
I have so far managed to ignore their message and avoid bumping into them in class (only 15 people).
Do I give in this once and send my iPad notes to them or what do you think I should do?
I really don’t know. I feel bad not helping but it’s a lot of notes to send.

I copied one person once because I had to leave the country for a day and the only other time when I missed the first 45 minutes of class because I missed my train accidentally.

But in my head I’m thinking am I being prejudiced? Am I not sending because this person is a competitor, because this person asking for large volume for notes, because I’ve never spoken to them?
If it was person I spoke to regularly I’d probably be more willing I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So what do you think I should say to this person? They are a smart person and so were probably off on a genuine reason I presume. So I feel like a jerk not helping but I don’t want to help lol.
I have so far managed to ignore their message and avoid bumping into them in class (only 15 people).
Do I give in this once and send my iPad notes to them or what do you think I should do?
I really don’t know. I feel bad not helping but it’s a lot of notes to send.

I copied one person once because I had to leave the country for a day and the only other time when I missed the first 45 minutes of class because I missed my train accidentally.

But in my head I’m thinking am I being prejudiced? Am I not sending because this person is a competitor, because this person asking for large volume for notes, because I’ve never spoken to them?
If it was person I spoke to regularly I’d probably be more willing I think.

I really believe you need to practice the courage of saying no to people. Rather than it causing more problems for you, I think it will alleviate them and empower you. The U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt said: "In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." I understand that for you the dilemma is that you're uncertain and confused over what the right thing to do is, and you fear you will be negatively judged if you do what will be perceived as the wrong thing. This is a really common predicament to be in because frequently there's not a clearly defined right or wrong, black or white, and it falls in the huge spectrum of gray.

I think it's helpful to seek clarifications to better understand the situation. You don't know why she needs the notes because you haven't asked her why. Knowing the reason could change the context. Don't let questions bounce around in your head tormenting you like a ball constantly thrown against a wall when you have access to the answers. You're unsure as to whether or not she missed a class, but she could give you certainty. Reply to her message with something like "Hi, why do you need my notes? Did you miss a class?" It will be easier to make a decision depending on her answer to those questions. It could be that she didn't miss any classes, but felt she hadn't taken strong notes, or hadn't understood something clearly. If she explains that to you, then maybe without sharing your notes you could simply provide her with an explanation of what was covered, or point her in a helpful direction. If she tells you she did miss class for some sympathetic reason like having been ill, then you'll feel less resentful and annoyed that she made the request for you to share your notes. You will still be entitled to decline, and you can do so while still showing kindness to her. Something like "I'm sorry you were ill. :( I really don't like sharing my notes. Is there someone else in the class you could ask?"

You can be helpful to people without granting their requests. Before agonizing over giving a yes or no answer consider if there's any others you can give. Such as pointing her in a helpful direction. Let's say she did miss the class and there was so legitimate reason for it. You could simply explain to her what was covered in the class and point to any relevant chapters in your textbook. Yes, doing so will take some of your time, but much less of it than continuing to deliberate over whether or not to share your notes. Let's say she didn't miss the class but felt her own notes were inadequate. Ask her what, precisely, she's seeking better notes on, and then just explain that to her without actually giving her your notes.

Whatever the case may be, it's not wrong for you to decline to share your notes. It truly isn't. This is really a matter of preference and circumstance. You had a legitimate need for the notes from the classes you missed. If you didn't explain that need to them, you could have if asked. They could have completely different preferences about sharing their notes than you. They could have a different style of note taking that is more conducive to sharing. It's sort of like how on flights people frequently ask other passengers to swap seats. It's not inherently right or wrong to decline. It really depends both on the reason for the request and personal preferences. Sometimes there's not any specific reason for the request beyond preference. A person who is given a window seat but prefers the aisle asking the person in their row who is sitting in the aisle seat to swap. Maybe the person in the aisle seat prefers the window and is happy to make the swap. But maybe the person in the aisle seats also prefers the aisle seat, so politely declines the swap. The only impolite response would be to ignore the person altogether and pretend the request hadn't been made when it clearly had been.

So to sum this up, I think the only wrong choice of action you can take is inaction. She doesn't know that this is a decision you've actually given considerable thought into making. If you don't verbally communicate with her then all she has to go by is your body language, your avoidance of her. That could lead to her misperceiving you as aloof. By this point she could have already asked another classmate for their notes since you haven't responded to her request. You need to just reply to her.

Upvote 0

Sy89ian

Nov 27, 2019
Melbourne
✟15,515.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Set very clear boundaries and ask yourself if the demands made by them are valid. Do not get trapped by your emotional judgements and do not fall for their demands just because they have done you good in the past. Evaluate the situation. Videos like this help

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’m very busy at university doing lots of project work and assignments and I get a message from someone I’ve never spoken to before in 3 years asking me to send them for over a weeks worth of notes.

You can say "yes," or "no," or something else, as @Stanfordella has so eloquently explained. It's entirely up to you.

why can’t she ask people she knows for their notes

Going by this thread, you're the kind of person who's likely to say "yes."

Upvote 0