Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The OP is well-known for posting about his views on these issues - mainly that they are 100% the responsibility of citizens to manage for themselves. For example, he believes that rather than ensure that everyone has access to healthcare, people should just eat well and exercise, and all of their health problems will magically go away.

Solving our ills begins with the individual, not the government, especially one in gridlock and turmoil.

I'm making the point that if these are traits that make our nation strong, then it's in the interest of the government to foster them.

Why the "if"?

Also, government prefers a weak, irresponsible, needy, and ignorant citizenry, wholly dependent upon them.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Hard working
Inclusive
Intelligent
Caring
Community minded

Citizens

That's what I think would make a country great

Sidenote: it's funny you expect that of the citizenry but not your president....

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...the irony of this post? It's pretty amazing. :wave:
tulc(might just point out almost 3,000,000 more voters verdict was that they wanted someone else to be President) :sorry:

Thankfully we are governed by a representative democracy (ala the Electoral College), not mob rule.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hard working
Inclusive
Intelligent
Caring
Community minded

Citizens

That's what I think would make a country great

Sidenote: it's funny you expect that of the citizenry but not your president....

Presidents come and go. We citizens hold the future of the nation in our hands.

We elect presidents to do their job, not our job. Our responsibility as citizens remains the same regardless of who is president.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Of course it's not going to happen. The list is as much to convict as it is to instruct.

So...complaining with no action or solutions? Just "these things should happen"?

How's about we get rid of that? ^

I know I have felt better about the United States in the past when everyone wasn't constantly complaining about how terrible it was. Remember when the biggest thing we worried about was the president cheating on his wife with an intern? Surely not the greatest personal moral high point in the history of America's leadership, but at least a slight bit better than having a president who does both that and provokes war with Iran, North Korea, et al., constantly tweets childish gibberish about TV shows and his political enemies and critics and whatnot, etc. And I don't even believe that the moral, financial, or physical health of the citizenry is really all that dependent on the president, but since an issue is made about "would this party's candidate be any better" (as it always is, because absolutely everything is about Democrats v. Republicans...even things that aren't ultimately about that), I know who I am going to vote for:

NyoroYh-8.jpg

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Also, government prefers a weak, irresponsible, needy, and ignorant citizenry, wholly dependent upon them.
If the citizenry is wholly dependent on the government, where do the taxes come from?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Democrats need to win this election! If only to get our racist president out of office.

Better healthcare is just a bonus! A Huge bonus, but a bonus to the democrats winning!

I better clarify... better access to healthcare for all.

What would happen is that people will use the healthcare system to keep them alive while they continue their destructive habits.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thankfully we are governed by a representative democracy (ala the Electoral College), not mob rule.
Yes, but as you know, the work of turning this into a one-party country by fiddling with all the election laws goes on. :sigh:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So...complaining with no action or solutions? Just "these things should happen"?

If people are concerned they can make these things happen in their own lives. They actually don't need a list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but as you know, the work of turning this into a one-party country by fiddling with all the election laws goes on. :sigh:

But the loser will be equally guilty of attempting this.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If the citizenry is wholly dependent on the government, where do the taxes come from?
The government pays them for the jobs they are allowed to hold, natch, and then taxes a majority of that that back into the government coffers.

Upvote 0

nanookadenord

May 28, 2016
Florida
✟47,565.00
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
What would happen is that people will use the healthcare system to keep them alive while they continue their destructive habits.

Are you sure about that? I know I don't have see the future glasses, do you? Even if people do, that doesn't mean we shouldn't provide better access to healthcare for all. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I have asthma. Not caused by anything that I did. With my current insurance, I cannot pay for the inhalers that I need in order to breathe. My insurance doesn't even cover my inhalers and I pay $584 a month for them. The next insurance up is over $1000 a month to have coverage that covers my inhalers. I cannot afford the plan that I have now, no way I can afford the next tier up. My mom gives me hers so that I can live.

If a plan like Bernie Sander's has goes into effect, I can get my inhalers.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thankfully we are governed by a representative democracy, not mob rule.
So really we only need to accept the "verdict of the voters" when that vote is a minority of voters outweighing the votes of millions of taxpaying Americans? Because that majority of voters is a mob? :scratch:
tulc(that sounds..legit?) :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So really we only need to accept the "verdict of the voters" when that vote is a minority of voters outweighing the votes of millions of taxpaying Americans? Because that majority of voters is a mob? :scratch:
tulc(that sounds..legit?) :sorry:

Pure democracy is mob rule, yes.

I'm guessing that many more than those three million that voted for Hillary pay no taxes at all, but instead depend on actual taxpayers for their subsistence. I'm also guessing that most of those vote Democrat every election.

More than 44% of Americans pay no federal income tax

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh no, I was speaking of the actual effort now going on across the country with both the Electoral College and ballot access laws.

So you're not targeting one Party?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I said "prefers". Fortunately many disregard those preferences. Sadly too many are happy to oblige.

Upvote 0