Centreville
✟7,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I work a 40-hour a week office job. I'm blessed to have it, but my concern is that it can often be very, very slow. There have been weeks where they've only had 4 hours of work for me to do. How do I spend the other 36 hours? I'll admit that's an extreme example, but most days here are still very slow.

It's sort of an entry level position, so I can typically only work on things when my boss sends them to me. I've tried coming up with a few projects, but my boss usually turns them down.

My question is: How should I spend the rest of my time at work? I've taken to working on a lot of personal projects--my moonlighting business, or other "just for fun" things. But no matter what I do, if it's not directly work-related, I end up feeling guilty about it. The more time I spend on the internet at work, the more I worry that the higher ups will notice, and I obviously don't want to lose my job.

How do I honor the Lord with my work when there's no work to do? What do you recommend?

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The time you have at the office belongs to the company that pays you. Everything you do there belongs to the company. If you are working on private projects at work (while your boss pays you to spend your time for HIM), and then you take the work you did on HIS time and moonlight making money for YOU, then that is unethical.

Here's an example. Let's say you are a writer. You go to work every day, but spend most of your time writing your book at work. All the writing you do at work is copyrighted to your employer because you did it on HIS time and he paid you for your time.

Instead of being invested in yourself at work, invest in the company that pays you. Let your boss know that you would like more to do, and maybe even more responsibility. If he can't find anything for you to do, then you should look at advancement opportunities in the company, and then start working towards getting the credentials that will make you a competitor when postings become available.

Just remember that the time you get paid for at work means that you should be serving your employer as though he were Jesus himself.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I work a 40-hour a week office job. I'm blessed to have it, but my concern is that it can often be very, very slow. There have been weeks where they've only had 4 hours of work for me to do. How do I spend the other 36 hours? I'll admit that's an extreme example, but most days here are still very slow.

How about offering to help other people?

It worries me that if you're only working 4 hours a week, you might not have the job long.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a maintenance job. I sit around waiting for electrical equipment to break (or at least not work properly). If there is nothing to fix, there is nothing to do, and I have absolutely no problem doing whatever I want until I get a call. I mean, I could walk around looking at equipment all day, but there is no more value from me doing that than there is from me sitting at my computer (which is what I am doing now).

If you have no work, you have no work. If they won't let you do anything extra, they won't let you do anyting extra. I am sure that when you have work you do it diligently and well. But if there is nothing to do, there is simply nothing to do.

It is one thing to speak of it being unethical to do activities that aren't directly related to your job when you could be doing activities directly related to your job. But I can't see how it is fundamentally unethical to do non-work-related tasks when work won't give you any tasks.

Perhaps it is time to dust off your resume and see what else is out there...

• Agree
Reactions: Kevin Snow
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnglicanPeace

Feb 11, 2018
Bethesda
✟29,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would just get on the Internet. Google whatever you want to Google, mental illness, prayers, classical music, ambient, African, reggae, as long as it's not horrible obviously like p*rn or something stupid. You should be thrilled, some people are barely clinging to sanity at their nightmare 80 work week gigs. Tread softly.

• Agree
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0