Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I say "on fire" for God, I usually picture in my head someone like Stephen:

2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them. (Acts 6:2-6 ESV)​

What is the secret to being "on fire" for God?

What if I'm losing my faith and slowly falling back into agnosticism?
What do I need to do, in practical steps, in order to get "on fire"?
Is there like a recipe?

Last edited:

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 11:5-13
And he said to them, “Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; and he will answer from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything’? I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his impudence he will rise and give him whatever he needs. And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!

Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Acts 4:31
And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.

Get the picture? Jesus is the only one who can give the Holy Spirit and He (the Holy Spirit) is received by faith in prayer.

• Agree
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 11:6, “Without faith it is impossible to please him, for those who come to him must believe that he exists and REWARDS THOSE WHO SEEK HIM.”

Luke 18:1-8
Parable of the Persistent Widow
One day Jesus told his disciples a story to show that they should always pray and never give up. “There was a judge in a certain city,” he said, “who neither feared God nor cared about people. A widow of that city came to him repeatedly, saying, ‘Give me justice in this dispute with my enemy.’ The judge ignored her for a while, but finally he said to himself, ‘I don’t fear God or care about people, but this woman is driving me crazy. I’m going to see that she gets justice, because she is wearing me out with her constant requests!’”
Then the Lord said, “Learn a lesson from this unjust judge. Even he rendered a just decision in the end. So don’t you think God will surely give justice to his chosen people who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will grant justice to them quickly! But when the Son of Man returns, how many will he find on the earth who have faith?”

Jesus said that how passionately we pray for something shows how much faith we have for it. So if you pray and “nothing happens” continue to pray about it. Pray always, as my little slogan under my avatar says :)

1 Thessalonians 5:17
Never stop praying.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ReuleauxMan

Logos Nerd
Jan 9, 2021
Central South
✟20,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with ByTheSpirit, pray these things in the spirit of doing it within God's Will! I want to add something that may help further.

Mark 10:35–45, The Cambridge Paragraph Bible of the Authorized English Version
"
And James and John, the sons of Zebedee, come unto him, saying, Master, we would that thou shouldest do for us whatsoever we shall desire. And he said unto them, What would ye that I should do for you? They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory. But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? And they said unto him, We can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be baptized: but to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared. And when the ten heard it, they began to be much displeased with James and John. But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them. But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among you, shall be your minister: and whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be servant of all. For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
"

This verse has Jesus perhaps warning James and John to be careful what they wish for, because to get it there are requirements for it to happen, a preparation for it and then the experience of living it with all that entails. But wishing to be on fire with the Holy Spirit does not itself seem like such a thing that could potentially be so dreadful as drinking from the cup Jesus Christ of the Holy Trinity drank from (if I understand, the cup of God's Wrath!), especially given the salvation of believing in and following Jesus Christ of the Holy Trinity. With my surmised/guessed assumption, it would seem to require one be/become basically sinless or extremely dedicated to eliminating any habits and avoiding new sin from one's life as much as possible (which the Bible if I understand does exhort everyone to do), convicted of righteousness and love for God and one's neighbor (which I believe the Bible also exhorts).

God's Word is truth and defines sin and the way to salvation like no other system of ethics or religion can. Be sure to find the highest-quality translation of the Bible you can! I don't know what else to recommend at this time but the 1611 King James Authorized Version, based on what I've read from others about it. Many counterfeit versions are on the internet; I've yet to be certain of an authentic version. I've found only two sources on the internet so far that *may* be candidates for not being counterfeit (I'm not able to verify them any further without already having certainly an authentic 1611 King James Authorized Version): theKJVstore (facsimile editions) and 1611 KING JAMES VERSION (1611 BIBLE) .

Peace and love!

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How come you all can't give a simple answer in your own words? Subterfuge?
Because these questions need answers from God's Word, not mans opinion.

Besides, if you actually read my response. It's pretty clear what it says, ask God in faith!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
'Being on fire for God'..again.
- It can be related..to 'spiritual renewal/restoration.'
---
Continue to wait on the Lord..
- Isaiah 40:31
It will happen in His time..
---
*When you are 'on fire for God'..again..
- sometimes..you get/have a 'new task/assignment.'
---
I am saying this..
- from my experience..during spiritual journey..50 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When I say "on fire" for God, I usually picture in my head someone like Stephen:

2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them. (Acts 6:2-6 ESV)

What do I need to do, in practical terms, in order to get "on fire"?
Is there like a recipe?

If I experience the Holy Spirit in my daily living, progressively expanding into every region of my life and bringing those regions under His constant control, I will increasingly reflect him, his "fruit" (Galatians 5:22-23), in my life. Under the Spirit's control, I am transformed by him, wanting what he wants, manifesting his holiness, love, grace, mercy, gentleness and so on in ever-enlarging measure. This experience of the Spirit, of God, makes it impossible to "slowly fall back into agnosticism," to walk away from the faith. The faith is found to be a Person, not just a set of religious propositions, who is actively shaping my living, infusing my days with the good things that he is, teaching me, comforting me, strengthening me and even disciplining me when necessary. Through this life-changing process, every Christian believer may be "set alight," burning brightly for Jesus.

Romans 6:13-22
Romans 8:14
Romans 12:1
James 4:6-10
1 Peter 5:6
John 3:30

• Agree
Upvote 0

ReuleauxMan

Logos Nerd
Jan 9, 2021
Central South
✟20,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... With my surmised/guessed assumption, it would seem to require one be/become basically sinless or extremely dedicated to eliminating any habits and avoiding new sin from one's life as much as possible (which the Bible if I understand does exhort everyone to do), convicted of righteousness and love for God and one's neighbor (which I believe the Bible also exhorts).

I want to clarify something in my post here. I was extremely unclear with what I said here. I meant to say "it", as the desire to be on fire with the Holy Spirit, instead of unintentionally appearing to mean "it" as referring to the previous example with wanting to sit on the right or left hand of Jesus.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The practical step to take is to keep praying and yielding yourself to the Holy Spirit. That's what everyone is saying here but it seems you are looking to do something more.

I understand the praying part. Praying is ... praying, sure. Easy to understand. But what do you mean by "yielding yourself to the Holy Spirit"? Sounds metaphorical. I don't understand how you do this in practical steps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand the praying part. Praying is ... praying, sure. Easy to understand. But what do you mean by "yielding yourself to the Holy Spirit"? Sounds metaphorical. I don't understand how you do this in practical steps.

So let's look at the Apostles.

And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Lk 24:49.

Jesus told them to STAY (WAIT) until they are clothed with power. Metaphorical for the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8).

4 And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, “you heard from me; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Ac 1:4–5.

So what did the Apostles do?

12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey away. 13 And when they had entered, they went up to the upper room, where they were staying, Peter and John and James and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot and Judas the son of James. 14 All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Ac 1:12–14.

They obeyed Him. Which leads to the next bit. How did they know they had received the promise?

2 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Ac 2:1–4.

Not only did they speak in tongues, but in front of the crowd that they had just ran from 7 weeks prior, they stood up with boldness and preached the gospel leading to 3000 souls being born again.

But was that a one time only event? No.. it wasn't.

And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Ac 4:31.

Notice here @TruthSeek3r they prayed... prayer is absolutely essential. Faith as well. If you do not have faith to receive, you will receive nothing (Hebrews 11:6).

Then finally, what does Peter say in Acts 5:32?
And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him.”

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Ac 5:32.

God gives the Holy Spirit to those who obey! We aren't given the Holy Spirit to hoard Him to ourselves. We aren't given the Holy Spirit to just say praise God I have the Holy Spirit. We receive the Holy Spirit to give us power to obey! Obey what? Whatever God wants from us.

What does God want from us?

Well first, He wants us to wait until we know we have received. That's what he told the first disciples, and early church. The believers in Samaria had to wait to receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 8:14-16). Going before you've received is like taking on a job on a worksite, but leaving to do the job without having the tools to do it. So wait, in prayer and faith.

He wants us to live in Holiness (1 Thessalonians 4:3), God gives us the Holy Spirit so that we can be made holy and live in holiness. So when you are being tempted and hear a voice or feel a leading to not do that thing, that's the Holy Spirit and you need to obey (1 Corinthians 10:13). He wants us to share our faith with those around us (Acts 1:8).

Finally, as @Joined2krist said, read through 1 John. There are many examples in that book of what the Holy Spirit would want from us! And practical steps on how to do those things.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

2 And the twelve summoned the full number of the disciples and said, “It is not right that we should give up preaching the word of God to serve tables. 3 Therefore, brothers, pick out from among you seven men of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we will appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 And what they said pleased the whole gathering, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a proselyte of Antioch. 6 These they set before the apostles, and they prayed and laid their hands on them. (Acts 6:2-6 ESV)​

What do I need to do, in practical terms, in order to get "on fire"?
Is there like a recipe?

The number one reason that people get cold on God is that they fail to spend time with Him .... largely by not being in His Word on a daily basis .... and of course prayer.

“Leave not off reading the Bible till you find your hearts warmed. Read the word, not only as a history, but labor to be affected with it.

Let it not only inform you, but inflame you. “Is not my word like a fire? saith the Lord”: Jeremiah 23:29.

Go not from the word till you can say as those disciples, “Did not our hearts burn within us?” Luke 24:32.”

• Agree
Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
  • Useful
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0