• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How to become intimately attracted to a woman when I'm already emotionally attracted to her?

AnotherMartin

Apr 12, 2020
Riga
✟15,830.00
Country
Latvia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How to become intimately attracted to a woman when I'm already emotionally attracted to her?

At first, I have to inform that English is not my first language, so you know why some expressions might sound strange. I might get carried away with my story but I feel I should tell it all to give the full context of my current situation.

I'm 40 years old man and I have never had intimate relations.

I was born in a small village. Unfortunately, I have some genetic defects since birth and I'm visually handicapped and also physically weaker than an average man. I tried to help my parents in their farm but the result was hiatal hernia. It was not serious enough for any immediate treatments or surgery, but still bad enough so that doctors forbid me to do any heavy physical tasks. So, now my muscles are pretty weak, I'm also thin and also getting bald, and I have to stick to my diet to avoid my stomach getting upset.

My school years were tricky - getting bullied for my bad vision and weak body. I became an introverted person, more into books (sci-fi), computers, music. Despite my bad vision, I became a programmer, got my master's degree and have been working for 15 years as a software architect in a small company. Although I'm introverted, I still manage to pretend to be a fun person, telling jokes and being kind to others, even when I feel dark and sad inside.

My parents were busy at their main work and at their farm, so I was brought up mostly by my granny who was a devoted Catholic. Although she prayed using ritual prayers, I learned to talk to God with my own words. God became as my "imaginary friend" to tell all my sorrows when I was bullied or when I had nightmares (and I had a lot of them in my childhood - really sinister nightmares about some invisible force coming after me and trying to drag away).

My father had issues with alcohol addiction, which was very common in small rural villages in our country. He was a nice person overall, never showing any aggression and being supportive. Still, in those evenings when he came home stinking and mumbling and when my mom was crying and pleading him to stop drinking, I hid in my room and played adventure stories about a boy finding his father, and I felt so bad for wanting a different father. It felt both like yearning and like betrayal.

Because of being bullied mostly by boys, I developed stronger emotional connections with girls. Although I had more common interests with boys (computers, sci-fi), still when I wanted to feel supported and accepted I talked with girls.

There was one very special girl. I felt like having a soulmate. But when I was about 15, her family moved to another town and we lost contacts. I guess, it was mostly my "fault" because I let her go. Why did I do that? Because during my puberty time I discovered I feel no intimate attraction to her. She was like a sister to me. But she started sometimes showing a different kind of interest, talking about romance, kissing. I decided that I'm not the man she needs and I have to let her go and find someone better. That was one more hit to my self esteem.

And later I was shocked to discover my attraction to older men. Fortunately, it was not overly sexual. It was mostly as an infatuation (and also fetishism for formal suits) and it often faded out when I got to know the person better to learn that the man is not that ideal person my subconscious has imagined. I also have tried masturbation and inappropriate content, but I never managed to get something out of it. I get my relief only through wet dreams, and even they are not sexual but about my weaknesses and emotional fantasies - about cuddling with an "imaginary father", or about myself becoming another person. Still, it was enough to make me think I'm homosexual. I started losing my religion. I felt cursed, I couldn't even visit a church because it had many of those older men who reminded me of something I wanted to forget. In my dreams, I cry "God, what should I do now?" and I wake with my eyes sticky with tears. Also I often see the girl from my childhood and I cry: "I'm not able to physically love you, but still I will always love you."

Currently I'm meeting a nice lady with whom we have lots of common interests and talk a lot about psychology. She knows most of my issues and she has some issues, too (mostly fighting her weight and also wanting to adopt a child but having strong doubts and insecurities). And again - I really would want to feel attracted to her but my body does not react. It feels like some kind of "block". I feel strong rejection towards anything feminine, woman perfume, cosmetics, jewelry, body shape - it all just switches me to "sister" mode and the idea of kissing and cuddling feels so intensely wrong somewhere inside; as if I wanted to have an incest or something. Mentally I know it does not make any sense. I force myself to at least hug her more often, but even that feels like cheating because I know I cannot get any further and she expects it.

The problem is, I don't even know where to start. How does a normal, healthy heterosexual man feel towards a woman he loves? I have nobody to ask the question, and there are no answers on the Internet - for most men it "just happens automatically" without any conscious effort.

So, maybe that's it and I'm supposed to be alone for my entire life. Currently I'm living with my parents. They have small pensions and I can support them with my salary. I'm afraid to think what will become of me when they pass away. I'm an introvert, but still I need that feeling about "someone in another room". But I don't want any woman to be dragged into some strange unhealthy relations. That would be unfair. Not sure, how to continue. Maybe the best is to just "go with the flow" and do nothing, as I've managed for 40 years.

venksta

Jesus is humanity's most successful rebel.
May 12, 2004
Kingdom of God
✟82,229.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings brother. Thank you for sharing so much about yourself here.

What I see here, is a struggle, between what the world is telling you, and what God has revealed to you in your heart. It appears, you have been gifted to receive joy, from other's hearts, rather than who they appear on the outside. If we are to be followers of Christ, as he lead a perfect life, then spend time in the gospels to read how he lived, as we are to imitate him, as best as we can. One of the most powerful things Jesus says, about the type of relationships we can have with him, comes from Mark 3:32-35:
32 And a multitude was sitting about him; and they say unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren without seek for thee.

33 And he answereth them, and saith, Who is my mother and my brethren?

34 And looking round on them that sat round about him, he saith, Behold, my mother and my brethren!

35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

So if we are to imitate Christ, then having a relationship with a women, and viewing them as a sister, is fine. There are many men and woman, who desire a romantic or deep relationship, yet, have no interest in the physical aspect, just like you.

I would recommend, going to God in prayer, and ask him, to reveal the types of relationships, he created you to experience, and to teach you about them. Not all of us are blessed to be raised in a perfect home, and be taught by godly parents. However, our Father in heaven, is always ready to lovingly teach us if we ask.

Reactions: AnotherMartin
Upvote 0

LordKroak10

Mar 8, 2018
NY
✟4,643.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There could be a very simple answer. You may just be asexual. There are many asexual people in the world, and they are part of the larger LGBT+ community. Asexual people, or "aces," do not feel sexual attraction towards others. They are capable of forming intimate emotional relationships, but they simply do not experience sexual attraction. There's nothing wrong with this, and many ace people live very fulfilling lives; they don't feel that they're missing out on anything because they recognize that they have no sexual desire to begin with.

Look up information about asexual people and see if anything sounds familiar to you.

Upvote 0

AnotherMartin

Apr 12, 2020
Riga
✟15,830.00
Country
Latvia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, LordKroak10, I have sometimes considered that I might be asexual. And I actually would prefer that, instead of my current unclear situation.

However, those "almost sexual" fantasy infatuations with older men always make me doubt my asexuality. Who knows, if I were less introvert and lived in a large city and met a man who matches my fantasies, I might actually discover that I am homosexual.

These doubts sabotage my relations with the woman I like so much. Being with her always feels like cheating somewhere deep down inside. We have both talked about it recently and, at least consciously, we are both willing to try to make our relations more serious. It's just that unconscious part inside me, which is showing me those disturbing dreams and telling me "You are cheating on this woman, you will never be able to love her the way she deserves; and one day you might fall in love with a man and that for sure will be cheating, if not sexual then definitely emotional." I just can't silence this voice inside me, it's out of my control, just like those dreams and reactions.

Upvote 0