North East Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟13,348.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
secretdawn said:
ok, so wait...what if it wasn't your choice...and there are reasons that the bible says divorce is acceptable (sexual immorality) and i am sure God would be ok if someone in a very abusive relationship who tried everything, left for the safety of their life...or what if the other person wanted the divorse, there really isn't much you can do about that...are there conditions to this? or is it just divorce=inelligible.
I wish I had an answer for you sis I really do.
But I don't and I am also not the one who made the rule!

I also read your other post. And I want to tell you that you are probably not walking
down a good path for your life if you want to be spending quaility time with your kids.

Ministry typically pays very poorly - Personally if I did not work a full time secular job my family would starve right now. So that means 45 hours at a secular job and then another 50 - 60 hours doing ministry work. And I think that is a more common thing than you might realize.

I sleep very little, I am tired all the time, the world brings it's problems to me and expects an answer.

Kids who cut themselves because they are depressed
The little girl who was raped
The mom who wants to commit suicide
The brother with terminal cancer
The homeless one who needed a place to live
The hungry one who needed food

And sis it's only Thursday. I still have 2 sermons to prepare for Sunday
A free flow worship to be prayed up for on Friday
20 prisoners to see on Sunday afternoon.

I personally wouldn't trade it for anything

But please be aware of what you are walking into

Who is going to watch that baby when you get the call at 2 am to go on down
to the hospital cause one of your sheeps has gone to the emergancy ward?

Blessings

Love

Prayers

Pastor George :wave:

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nehemiah_Center said:
I wish I had an answer for you sis I really do.
But I don't and I am also not the one who made the rule!
Sometimes God's Word is a tough pill to swallow.

God has given my the gift of teaching and for the longest time (even now) I desire to be a pastor even a youth pastor. I am however divorced (before I was saved) and I re-married after I was saved. As I read it God's Word is very clear on this issue. I look at is kind of like King David. He wanted to build a temple so bad, but God would not permit it because of the blood he had shed (the blood God told him shed). However, He was allowed to have something to do with the building of the temple. According to God's Word I cannot be a pastor, but I can be the Sunday School teacher, Men's Disciple leader God wants me to be. I have a peace about that now, but it took a long time to get there.

I would certainly encourage you to study the Scriptures and pray, pray, pray, pray.

On kind of a side note: we get so wound up about "serving God full time". I got a newsflash here, no matter what you do if your a Christian your serving God full time, be that flipping burgers, accounting, or in my case engineer.

I certainly wish you the best.

May He give you His Shalom.....................

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
secretdawn said:
I thought when we got saved everything before that was washed away and it was as if it didn't happen...King David was before Jesus right?

From God's point of view yes, but there are still consequences for what we do here on earth.

Something else to keep in mind. God doesn't put those guidelines in His Word so we can be miserable, beacause "now I can't serve Him". He has those for a reason, even the ones we don't like. But He is God, and He knows best.

I mean if I wanted I could pursue becoming an ordained minister even though I'm divorced. God's Word is pretty clear that a pastor should be the husband of one wife. So do I go against God's Word and pursue becoming a minister through my own strength? Personally for me, no. But that decision is between you and God.

I personally believe that far too many people put "serving God" in a box and religate it to just ministers. Every Christian is a minister, and God has put people in our lives right here and now that He wants us to be Jesus' hands and feet for.

May He give you His peace..............

Upvote 0

Breetai

For I am not ashamed of the Gospel...
Dec 3, 2003
✟23,820.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The only school that I know in St. Louis in Concordia. They ordain pastors, but only males. Plus, you need a BA before you go to seminary there. Then you have to learn Greek and Hebrew. I guess that Concordia isn't really the best option for you:D

I know that the procedure to become a pastor is different in every denimination. The Lutheran way is probably tougher then most any other denomination. I've got o problem with a single mother as a pastor, but most of my Lutheran brethern do:p

Good Luck and God Bless you Dawn.

Upvote 0

MagusAlbertus

custom user title
Aug 25, 2003
Edinburg TX
Visit site
✟1,310.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
or is it just divorce=ineligible.
divorce and remarriage = ineligible.
unfortunately having a child means that i don't have the freedom for that...
then unfortunately you don’t have the freedom to do what a pastor must.
God's Word is pretty clear that a pastor should be the husband of one wife. So do I go against God's Word and pursue becoming a minister through my own strength?
doesn’t Jesus teach that a divorce is valid if the other person has committed adultery?

Personally, I believe every Christian, mail or female, is a priest. But that, although equal, women are called not to be in the flock-leadership role.

Although many other evangelical opportunities exist. Pretty much the same view as other Southern Baptists.

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
there are many denominations and they have different requirements for becoming an ordained minister. some baptist denominations will not allow women in the pulpit. others welcome them. the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) have a more relaxed idea of what is allowed in the pulpit. i think you could find a community that would welcome a single mom as pastor, as she might represent someone who could understand the realities they live with. others would shun you like a plague. the person who suggested to you that it would be an intense commitment is shooting you straight. i think you have a ministry in your children that can be expanded by being involved in the things they do, or getting them involved in some of the ministerial things that you do, but they are your first ministry and responsibility.

yours in Christ

Upvote 0

kirkguardian

Jan 15, 2004
✟164.00
Faith
Protestant
secretdawn said:
I am not really sure, but my interpretation was that it was illegal for women to be pastors or priests and what not, and one of god's laws is "obey the laws of the land" which is why Paul told the women not to talk in church...cause it was against the law. It isn't against the law now, so it isn't against God was my interpretation...

This has got to be one of the most creative biblical interpretations I have every seen. What historic authority did you rely upon to come up with this?

I'm not clear on what "law" you're referring to that supposedly banned women from being priests, but that certainly wasn't Roman civil law. The fact of the matter is that Roman in no way discouraged women priests, as evidenced by the hundreds of women priests that served in pagan temples.

Rather than speculating, maybe we should turn to what Paul specifically stated, and why he stated it. Paul said: "Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (1 Tim 2:11-12)

Why did Paul say this? Because Rome says so? Because the Jewish religious leaders say so? No, Paul refers Timothy to Genesis, and in the same context as the Genesis passage it requires no speculation to determine Paul's rationale: "and he shall rule over thee." (Genesis 3:16)

A pastor is both a minister-servant and an authority. He therefore rules and governs in the affairs of the church. Women are never to rule over men, and for any woman to become a pastor it would make it inevitable that she would be ruling over men.

Upvote 0

everyready

Feb 25, 2004
BRONX, NY
✟130.00
Faith
Christian
I am a ordained female minister, who has been called to be a Pastor by the Lord. I have read some of the responses about women not being called to the ministry and that is completely incorrect. The bible show the first evangelist was the woman at the well, who called the men of her town to come see a Man, who told her everything about herself.

Being a minister is pressing continually into God in prayer, and if you feel called to be a Pastor, that calling is birthed in you by God himself. man can give you the form but only God Himself give you the Power and Authority that comes with that office. I have gone completed knowledge training in two seminaries in New York City.However the true training and preparation for the office of Pastor"Minister is to submit daily to the dealings of God in your life. and part of that dealing will enable you to place your face like a flint, and press into God with all your strength, regardless of what people say about you being a single Mom. For who the Lord calls he predestines and prepares and conforms to the Image of His Son.

My advice to you is continue to prayer and seek the Lord, until He tells you step by step what he wants from you, once He does that then go to your pastor and tell him what the Lord has impressed upon your heart. Do know the road is not easy, nor is anything for the Lord done quickly, for true Ministers of God are in training by the Spirit of God, in their secret closet.

Stay in Your secret closet, wait on the Lord and He will show you his heart for your life.

I leave you with Jeremiah 33:3 Call upon me and I will answer you and show you great and mighty things you do not know.

Press into God and He will give you the desires of your heart.

In His Presence,
Sis Everyready

Reactions: J.A.I
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
secretdawn said:
unfortunatley having a child means that i don't have the freedom for that...i don't want recognition, i want to serve...and i know it pays enough to eat and clothe my child...so this way i could be a full time server(?)...i would have no other job to concentrate on then working for God (i consider being a mother part of that)...do i WANT the negitives...no...but i am willing to accept them and deal with them if i can bring good to peoples lives....like i said it isn't a decision completely yet, but i am seriously considering it...either way i will work with teens...
-There are other options than the Assemblies...you might try Church of God-Cleveland TN (Cleveland is the HQ-they have congregations all over the place)
There's also some of the Wesleyan groups...but given your situation, I'd go with the Church of God. They look stricter, but re:divorce, they are more lenient than the Assemblies. (plus they have distance learning like the AG)

As far as schools, I don't know exactly where in Missouri you are, but there are quite a few schools that offer youth ministry:
St. Louis...
St. Louis Christian College
Missouri Baptist College

Springfield/Branson/Joplin...
Springfield has about three or four A/G schools and a Baptists college too. The Baptist school there is a little on the strict side, and probably wouldn't be all that sympathetic to a single mother.
SBU in Bolivar (a bit north) is also a decent school.

KC...
William Jewell College
There are about three or four seminaries there too.
And there are probably other colleges there I've left out.

There's a Methodist and a Christian Church school in central Missouri out around the Columbia-Jefferson City area too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rainbowprism

Elevate My Soul
May 4, 2004
Ohio
✟1,869.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think it's great that the OP has expressed a desire to be an effective church leader, God has put that desire in her heart and some of you are poo-pooing her. OP, as far as advice I don't have much. You might want to check out VLI, which is the Vineyard Leadership Institute...you can 'attend' from a distance I believe but you need a fellow pastor to mentor you and I think you have to be a Vineyard church member (if the AofG is barring you because of your past, I find that ridiculous for I trust in Jesus' blood to atone for all sins). We encourage men or women, young or old...as long as we believe they are called. This is for people who want to be on church staff, plant a church or be a lay leader with the profieciency of a pastor. It's worth checking out at least, www.vli.org

Good luck to you. If this is what God wants for you he will open doors!

Upvote 0

CoCoChiCa33

D*Dizzle
Jun 18, 2004
Muldrow, OK
✟423.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Whoa, time out!!!! As for the A/G divorce thing, y'all are leaving a part out. Our pastor got a divorce almost 2 years ago because his wife was committing adultery. But he's been looking into it, and if the preacher isnt at fault for the relationship, and a few other things i seem to have forgotten about... you can get a special thing that will allow you to remarry. I will ask him about it tomorrow at church, but let me assure you that remarriage doesnt have to mean no more pastoring. Just thought i'd tell y'all that.

And by the way... I'm a girl, I'm Assembly of God, and even though I'm young, God has called me to be a pastor. So I will keep you in my prayers!!

*Danielle*

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You have to have some kind of sick need for abuse. If you do, then the ministry is right up your alley.
Missouri...I can't think of anything that would help you. There is an AoG seminary there. And a Batpist bible college. CHeck out schools and see what they offer. You can major in whatever you want. I majored in English and Religion.

Since you're female...you're going to have to be strong.

What kind of things do you enjoy?

Missouri's a big place and there are lots of denominations that would have no trouble with a woman pastor. In St Louis, there is a UCC seminary, they're very doctrinally liberal but they do allow women.
In Kansas City there's a Nazarene seminary and a United Methodist seminary, both of which denominations are open to women.

Upvote 0

chris123gx

Oct 3, 2011
Mississippi
✟7,650.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Spiritually in the kingdom of god there is neither male or female in the kingdom of god.
Yes women can be ministers, for we all are his workmanship.
Usually spirit field ministries consider women ministries most definitely.
In my area they are many women ministers and leaders of the church.
Consider it this way, if your father give you instructions, and says go tell your brother and sister that I am here for them, would you say no I am a woman with no sense of direction.
The same thing Jesus told Mary go tell disciples that I have risen.

Upvote 0
B

Blaine01

As you have already been told, full time ministry is a calling, not something you just decide to do. Secondly it isn’t easy, you grow old fast, believe me I know, I’m in my 60s and feel I’m going on 90 at times.

My advice is beginning with a good education from an accredited Christian university. Become involved in your church and trust the leadership of your pastor. If God is calling you into a full time ministry and the Holy Spirit has shown you that is your calling then first and foremost don’t let anyone stop you. The Lord will open doors He wants opened and close the others. Put your complete trust in the leadership of the Holy Spirit.

If you are in a Spirit filled church your pastor will discern your gifts and help lead you in the direction the Lord wishes. The most successful pastors I know are the ones that realize they are merely servants following Gods will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MagusAlbertus

custom user title
Aug 25, 2003
Edinburg TX
Visit site
✟1,310.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
divorce and remarriage = ineligible. then unfortunately you don’t have the freedom to do what a pastor must. doesn’t Jesus teach that a divorce is valid if the other person has committed adultery?

Personally, I believe every Christian, mail or female, is a priest. But that, although equal, women are called not to be in the flock-leadership role.

Although many other evangelical opportunities exist. Pretty much the same view as other Southern Baptists.

Wow... I used to be a real X-for-brains.

Upvote 0
Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
✟15,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do watch Benny Hinn's 'Preparation for Ministry' on Youtube... I trust this will be a blessing to you, but remember the key prerequisite to serving the LORD is denial of self, that you may be filled with the fulness of God!

Also I will email you an invaluable Christian Resource which highlights what is required in order to be a genuine servant of God according to scripture!

"For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again. Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" (2 Cor 14-21)

Upvote 0