Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I saw this ad in my church advertising that they needed school chaplains and there was a course you could do on it.

I'm wondering what you did to become employed as chaplains, aside from bible school? Did you apply for the job or were nominated?

Is the work paid?
Do only men do it?

What's the best thing about the job and what's the worst?
How different is it from being a pastor?
Can you be a missionary chaplain?

What other places need chaplains. I know hospitals and prisons and schools have them, and also the armed forces, but anywhere else? How about a shopping mall chaplain?
Sorry for all the questions!

like eagleswings

discovering
Dec 28, 2011
england
✟16,976.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
oh..don't worry I'll ask someone else.

dont be discouraged by none answer here, statment of purpose Chaplains Coffee Shop Statement of Purpose

The Chaplains Coffee Shop is for light chat and fellowship between CF Chaplains and all of our members. Pull up a chair, grab a cup of coffee, and relax for a bit. This is the place where you can get away from serious discussions and debates and just get to know each other better.

If you have any complaints or suggestions about CF you are welcome to start a thread in Member Service Center. If you would like to discuss something privately with our Chaplains, please start a thread in the Ask a Chaplain forum.

Enjoy the Chaplains Coffee Shop!

Upvote 0

GuusVA

God's Warrior
Oct 14, 2013
Tongeren Belgium
✟24,641.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
er..forget it.
I'm going to have a real hot chocolate at a cafe and chat with a real chaplain tomorrow at the library.

You might also wanna post this at the ask the chaplain section of this forum.. I'm sorry no one answered your questions..

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
er..forget it.
I'm going to have a real hot chocolate at a cafe and chat with a real chaplain tomorrow at the library.

The chaplains here are ordained and have been for longer than I've been born as far as I can remember.

Perhaps PM each of them and ask.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Goodbook, sorry for missing your thread. Chaplains duties, qualifications, etc. vary from organization to organization. It would be best to inquire about the school chaplain at the school.

I do not know any shopping malls with chaplains but I have heard of some corporations that have a chaplain.

Grace and Peace
Chaplain Steve

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are numerous chaplain associations out there that are basically handing out chaplain credentials with nothing more than the payment of a fee, and minimal requirements, so I would caution you to investigate things carefully and check with local organizations you would want to apply to as a chaplain.

Military Chaplains must be less than 50 years old and possess a graduate theological degree: GoArmy.com > Army Chaplain Corps > Requirements

In my opinion, APC is one of the most recognized organizations and one that hands out its credentials to bona fide qualified members:

Association of Professional Chaplains

Check their leadership directory for contacts that may be in your state:
Local Search

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
50 years old!
hmm have a while to wait then. So I'd need to do a phD or something in Theology. Even though the Bible says to not go after vain philosophies. PhD does stand for doctor of philosophy does it not?

I also wonder about my (useless) Master's degree. The Bible also says do not let anyone call you master. But I did my masters before I was born again. I also did a bachelors even though I am not male, but I think less women would do it if they called it Spinster's degree. No man wants to marry a brainy woman anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
oh! must have read wrong. I thought it was at least 50.
Yes but Masters in Library and Information Studies doesn't count. I didn't go to Bible college, and we did not learn the Bible at library school. Silly really, as the Bible IS a Library in itself.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw this ad in my church advertising that they needed school chaplains and there was a course you could do on it.

I'm wondering what you did to become employed as chaplains, aside from bible school? Did you apply for the job or were nominated?

Is the work paid?
Do only men do it?

What's the best thing about the job and what's the worst?
How different is it from being a pastor?
Can you be a missionary chaplain?

What other places need chaplains. I know hospitals and prisons and schools have them, and also the armed forces, but anywhere else? How about a shopping mall chaplain?
Sorry for all the questions!

I can't speak to some of your questions because I am not a vocational counselor. I can however, speak to the basic requirements of hospital chaplain.

You would need at a minimum a Masters Degree from a regionally accredited seminary. You would also need to be ordained by your church. Naturally, any extra experience or education that would reinforce your resume would be helpful.

Here at CF we are not paid but have basically the same requirements except for the education portion is not an absolute. The ordination is, however.

A suggestion I have for you is to join a chaplain professional association. Here is one search that I did for "chaplain associations" https://www.google.com/search?q=cha...61.5372j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

After you've done this you could ask questions to other members and get a better idea about requirements, jobs available, etc.

Feel free to pm me if you have other questions and I'll do my best to help. My brother chaplains here on this board are also available.

Faithfully,
CH Sacerdote

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but, what is the difference between a seminary and a bible college?

I don't think there are any seminaries in NZ. I've never heard of the name actually. Maybe we just don't call it that. And I don't know anything about 'ordination'. I know God ordains things, events or people in the Bible but it does not specifically say its for people in the church, like a commandment or thing you have to do like baptism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Forgive me if this is a silly question, but, what is the difference between a seminary and a bible college?

I don't think there are any seminaries in NZ. I've never heard of the name actually. Maybe we just don't call it that. And I don't know anything about 'ordination'. I know God ordains things, events or people in the Bible but it does not specifically say its for people in the church, like a commandment or thing you have to do like baptism.

Chances are the Anglican church is big there, in which case you will need to go through their process to be ordained as one of those to be able to work in their churches or as an ordained minister/vicar by them.

It isn't a quick process and can take 5-8 years to be qualified by their standards to run your own church.

Upvote 0

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Here is a starting point:
Category:Seminaries and theological colleges in New Zealand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bible colleges generally do not offer graduate level degrees (Masters and Doctorates). Some denominations may consider a candidate for ordination with only an undergrad degree (Bachelors- 4 years beyond high school (secondary school)).

Ordination is the visible church's recognition of the candidate's valid call from God, including their walk of faith, experience, training. Ordination is the laying on of hands by the church officers of the candidate pronouncing him fit for service as a shepherd of the flock. See: Laying on of hands - what does the Bible say?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
So it's only males?

I don't know much about the Anglican church, I don't belong to it. Can chaplains be of any denomination?

Turns out my chaplain advisor cancelled/postponed twice. I'm getting a bit annoyed. It always seems pastors and chaplains are way to busy to be concerned with my issues. I'm better off asking an elder or my sisters in Christ.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The wiki didn't mention Knox college? That's where my pastor studied.

I've witnessed a church commissioning when missionaries go overseas and everyone lays hands on them and prays for them wherever they are going, is ordination like that?

I'm pretty sure Laidlaw offer post grad degrees yet doesn't call itself a seminary.

Upvote 0

AMR

Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So it's only males?
It may vary by denomination. Most, but not all, Protestant groups would restrict the role of shepherd of the flock to males.

I don't know much about the Anglican church, I don't belong to it. Can chaplains be of any denomination?
Chaplains come from many different denominations.

Turns out my chaplain advisor cancelled/postponed twice. I'm getting a bit annoyed. It always seems pastors and chaplains are way to busy to be concerned with my issues. I'm better off asking an elder or my sisters in Christ.
You should speak first to your local church leaders. Chaplains are ordained by their respective denominations before they become Chaplains to secular organizations. Your local church is responsible for your spiritual care and training that would precede ordaination. Start there.

Upvote 0