How to attain the “power” promised in Acts 1:8?

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Acts 1:7-8 (NIV):

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”​

What is the meaning of "power" in verse 8? Was this "power" only for the apostles in the first-century church, or has it been available for every Christian up until now? Lastly, is there any Scripture-based way to tell if one is in possession of this "power"? How can a Christian obtain this "power"?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”​

What is the meaning of "power" in verse 8? Was this "power" only for the apostles in the first-century church, or has it been available for every Christian up until now? Lastly, is there any Scripture-based way to tell if one is in possession of this "power"? How can a Christian obtain this "power"?

Jesus is talking to His Apostles, not us. Jesus is telling the Apostles to remain in Jerusalem after His Ascension, because the promise which Jesus made that the Holy Spirit would come and be with them was going to be fulfilled in several days. This happened on Pentecost, as we read in the 2nd chapter of Acts. On Pentecost the Holy Spirit came down upon all of Jesus' followers that were gathered in the upper room. This was the giving of the Holy Spirit which Jesus promised would happen.

The power which Jesus speaks of here is the authority which Jesus is giving His Apostles, that is, it is the empowering of the Apostles to accomplish their work and mission in the world of bringing the Gospel to the nations and founding the churches as they went around.

This isn't to or for us, but it was for Jesus' Apostles so that they could apostle. We receive the Spirit by our being members of the Church Jesus founded on His Apostles, when we come to faith in the Lord the Holy Spirit is ours, He dwells within us. And He works in our lives, by appropriating for us those things of faith which we receive through Word and Sacrament, by keeping us in true faith, bringing comfort to us through the faith which we have received, and so on. We benefit from the Apostles' work because as the Church our possession is the word of God which God gave us through them, the precious Gospel of our salvation which we preach, which we confess, and which we believe. And through the ministry of the word we receive that word, through Word and Sacrament. And so the Apostolic work continues in the Church through her sacred ministry, through Word and Sacrament, which the Spirit Himself works through for our benefit, so that we might believe and have faith, be kept together in Christ, hearing the word of our forgiveness, and the calling of God on our lives to faith, humility, love, kindness, etc--namely our continued sanctification as we carry our cross of discipleship in this world in relation to our neighbors and all God's creatures.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It's nowhere near as complicated or difficult as some make it. The Lord Jesus was exalted and so received the Holy Spirit promised by the Father, which He poured out on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2:33). It is for all Christians as long as we are still in the physical body. We receive the Holy Spirit as a gift. It is simply a part of the great salvation that is ours in Christ

The power of the Holy Spirit is primarily to witness to the glory of the Lord Jesus and the salvation that He bought. The power of the Spirit is also manifest in spiritual gifts. The gifts are for the building up of the church, not to feed an individual's ego.

Some warnings.
1. It is easy to become spiritually proud, especially if you are in contact with Christians who have yet to receive the Holy Spirit.
2. It is not unusual for difficulties to arise shortly after being baptised in the Holy Spirit. The Lord Jesus experienced the temptation in the wilderness just after He received the Holy Spirit.
3. The Holy Spirit has come. There is no need for "supernatural" manifestations such as tongues like fire or a strong wind or anything of that nature. There is no need to pray and fast and wait. The Holy Spirit is here and God is only too pleased to fill us with the Spirit if we ask (Luke 11:33)
4. Having the power of the Holy Spirit does not make a Christian mature. Gifts are not fruit.

• Agree
Reactions: marc b
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is no need to pray and fast and wait. The Holy Spirit is here and God is only too pleased to fill us with the Spirit if we ask (Luke 11:33)

I've heard that sometimes praying and fasting turn out to be necessary (source: some testimonies I've watched). How can I know if I have the power of the Holy Spirit or not, and whether it is time to "level up my game" and engage in more intense prayer and fasting?

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We're already got Scripture to support:

"Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." Also, "But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; 18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly." Matt

"Pray without ceasing." I Thess 5

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's a doctrine of baptisms,..." (Heb 6:2). There are 3 baptisms:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is the baptism for salvation. Baptized into the body of Christ by believing in His death, burial, and resurrection.
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++) "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise," Eph 1:13

Water and Spirit baptism follows - not required for salvation- not in a set order - follows salvation:
2 - By another believer (water baptism) (Matt 28:19, Matt 3:16 Philip with the eunuch "...when they were come up out of the water..." Acts 8:39.

3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) Believers already have the Holy Spirit but this baptism endures us with power for service. (Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; John 1:33, Acts 1:5, 8:14-17, 10:44-48, 11:16; I Cor 12:13, Luk 24:49, Eph 5:18, Acts 4:31; I John 3:24; Eze 36:25-28; John 14:25-27).

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism) Believers already have the Holy Spirit but this baptism endures us with power for service. (Acts 1:5 8: Acts 8:14-17; 10:44-48, Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16++++)'

So the power for service is obtained through the Baptism into the Holy Spirit. How can I receive this third baptism?

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I've heard that sometimes praying and fasting turn out to be necessary (source: some testimonies I've watched). How can I know if I have the power of the Holy Spirit or not, and whether it is time to "level up my game" and engage in more intense prayer and fasting?
I'll share my experience. It was Christmas Eve, 1975. I'd been seeking the baptism of the Holy Spirit for months, after 3 years of rejecting it. I was reading a book by Pat Boone. The very last page said that some people do not receive the gift because they focus on the gift and not the Giver. I realised that was exactly my problem. I felt peace sweep over me and I started speaking in tongues. I'd been prayed for by the spiritual elite, exhorted by people from Teen Challenge, all to no avail. God revealed the blockage and I was free. How do I know? First and foremost, the Word of God tells us that the Holy Spirit is a gift that we receive. Simple. Lord Jesus is the Baptiser in the Holy Spirit. All we need to is ask.

I knew an old fashioned Pentecostal pastor. He told me that many Baptists came to him to receive the Holy Spirit but he found that they were already Spirit filled. Why? Because the Baptist denomination teaches that we receive the Holy Spirit when we are born again. So many simply accept that and so they do indeed receive the Holy Spirit. Often they know nothing about spiritual gifts, but that is another issue.

I became far more sensitive to the spiritual realm - demonic as well as God's realm. I discovered gifts of discernment and word of knowledge. Somehow I just knew things. I had a lot to learn but the Lord led me and taught me. I am also aware of the dangers. I had an occult spirit and that can seem similar to prophecy and other gifts.

• Informative
Reactions: TruthSeek3r
Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I knew an old fashioned Pentecostal pastor. He told me that many Baptists came to him to receive the Holy Spirit but he found that they were already Spirit filled. Why? Because the Baptist denomination teaches that we receive the Holy Spirit when we are born again. So many simply accept that and so they do indeed receive the Holy Spirit. Often they know nothing about spiritual gifts, but that is another issue.

Something still does not quite make sense to me. If you are filled with the Holy Spirit, that should be an experience that changes your life forever, right? If you receive power for witnessing, that's an experience that you are aware of. You experience it. It's not something that happens subconsciously, right? If so, then those Baptists that were already Spirit filled should have already known it. If they were already Spirit filled, at some point they had to have gone through the experience of being filled with the Spirit, so they had to have been aware of the experience. So how come they didn't know they were filled already? I'm a bit confused to be honest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Something still does not quite make sense to me. If you are filled with the Holy Spirit, that should be an experience that changes your life forever, right? If you receive power for witnessing, that's an experience that you are aware of. You experience it. It's not something that happens subconsciously, right? If so, then those Baptists that were already Spirit filled should have already known it. If they were already Spirit filled, at some point they had to have gone through the experience of being filled with the Spirit. So how come they didn't know they were filled already? I'm a bit confused to be honest.
A lot of Christians equate speaking in tongues with being baptised in the Holy Spirit. If you receive the Holy Spirit at the time of salvation, you would not know what it is like to be saved without the baptism of the HS. I was led to the Lord by and evangelical Methodist. He is a great guy, but he rejects the baptism of the HS as being for now. I travelled a lot and came across all kinds of Christians. I found some were indeed different. It took me a long time but I began to see my need.

Don't be misled. Being baptised in the HS does nothing for an individual's character or fruit. The much rebuked Corinthian church was gifted, had the power but was also divided and tolerating gross sin. Sadly, that's not an uncommon situation today.

Upvote 0

TruthSeek3r

Jan 18, 2020
Capital
✟128,643.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of Christians equate speaking in tongues with being baptised in the Holy Spirit. If you receive the Holy Spirit at the time of salvation, you would not know what it is like to be saved without the baptism of the HS. I was led to the Lord by and evangelical Methodist. He is a great guy, but he rejects the baptism of the HS as being for now. I travelled a lot and came across all kinds of Christians. I found some were indeed different. It took me a long time but I began to see my need.

I agree, speaking in tongues is not mandatory, prophesying is another manifestation. And preaching the gospel with boldness is another possible outcome as well, as in Acts 4:31:

31 After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly​

Don't be misled. Being baptised in the HS does nothing for an individual's character or fruit. The much rebuked Corinthian church was gifted, had the power but was also divided and tolerating gross sin. Sadly, that's not an uncommon situation today.

Good point. This reminds me of Matthew 7:21-23 (NIV):

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’​

Upvote 0

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Tongues is prophecy. . the gift prophesying the word of God. Our new tongue the gospel .It as the word of God can drive out lying spirits . We can plant the incorruptible seed (or tongue)but God alone causes the growth of faith if any. Its how he fills us with His Spirit and keeps it full .

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
Tongues is prophecy. . the gift prophesying the word of God.
Praying in tongues is a wonderful gift, but unless they are spoken in the language of the hearer, they cannot be prophecy until interpreted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

garee

Feb 18, 2013
✟22,818.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Praying in tongues is a wonderful gift, but unless they are spoken in the language of the hearer, they cannot be prophecy until interpreted.

The sign is against those who make senseless noises .prophecy God's understanding for those who believe the gospel the tongue of God.

The foundation for the doctrine is in Isaiah 28. Those who refuse to hear all things written in the law and the prophets (sola scriptura) and the law repeated or revisited in 1 Corinthian14 below .

Isaiah 28: 9-13 The people say, “Who does he think he is trying to teach and explain his message to? Does he think we are babies who were at their mother’s breast only a very short time ago? He speaks to us as though we were babies:

“Saw lasaw saw lasaw
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”

So God will use this strange way of talking, and he will use other languages to speak to these people. In the past he spoke to them and said, “Here is a resting place. Let those who are tired come and rest. This is the place of peace.” But they would not listen to him. So the Lord’s words will be senseless sounds to them:

“Saw lasaw saw lasaw.
Qaw laqaw qaw laqaw.
Ze’er sham ze’er sham.”

Keep in mind . . "yet for all that they will not hear (sola scriptura) prophecy" .Other tongues are other languages other than the Hebrew. the tongues of all the nations the belivers new tongue .

It must be read slowly and prayerfully .

1 Corinthian14:21-22 In the law it is written,(Isaiah 28) With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

No outward sign gift as self edifying. Spiritual gifts not seen as prophecy revealed by the faith of Christ that works in us . . yes.

No outward signs to wonder after.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:) Christ said "But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

So ask the Father "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

See its faith. You KNOW He hears you.. so you ask as its said in Luke 11 13. You then don't wonder don't guess. No matter what you feel hear see.. you KNOW He heard you.. you KNOW He gave you the holy Spirit because you asked. Don't be moved by what you see hear feel. There is no "it never happened".. yes it did. HE CAN'T LIE! :) Just don't go by the flesh. You ask.. you got it! In JESUS name. Rejoice.. praise Him for it. Faith MOVES God.. Faith pleases God.

Its not what I say or anyone else. Its what His word says.

Upvote 0

BloodWashed91

Aug 4, 2020
The Hague
✟20,053.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
:exclamation:Not seeking to start a fight or discussion. OP asked a question, so here is my answer. Not seeking discussion with "cessasionist" either, just FYI. But I just have to let OP know this, and then it's up to him what he'll do with it.

OP, do with this as you want. Best advice I can give you - with regards to all the different answers given - is to pray and ask the Lord to show you what is the truth and what is not.

What is the meaning of "power" in verse 8?
The power of the Holy Spirit.
Was this "power" only for the apostles in the first-century church, or has it been available for every Christian up until now?
Available to every christian. In God's timing, however. Jesus is the Baptizer. We can't force Him to do it whenever we want it. Doesn't work like that. Also, people who deny the existence of Holy Spirit baptism today are (in my opinion) usually just ignorant because they have not experienced the power of the Holy Spirit in their own lives or churches, or (oftentimes) it may be pride, where they are offended at the mere thought of someone else getting baptized in the HS while they themselves have been converted for decades and never received. But there is no need for that. God is not a respecter of man. You don't get baptized as a reward.
You get endued with power from on high, power to be better equipped to do the work of God. Signs and wonders will follow you, and you will become a miracle worker, by the grace of God, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Lastly, is there any Scripture-based way to tell if one is in possession of this "power"?
There sure is. Read through acts and you will see. The initial evidence of someone getting baptized in the Holy Spirit is that they will (initially) begin to speak in a new tongue. This is not something that can be learned or imitated; if someone does that, it's not the real thing. The real thing is truly God giving you the utterance. So it's Him giving you the utterance to speak; not you trying to speak it.
Note I said "initial" - as this is the sign that shows HS baptism has taken place; however, there can be quite some time between that initial tongues and later speaking in tongues. Also, there are different kinds of tongues; there is one that is meant as a sign to unbelievers (which is in a human language but unknown to the speaker) and there is the other one which is the Holy Spirit giving you the utterance to speak a heavenly language, not unto people but unto God. This prayer is according to the perfect will of God, even though you probably won't always know what you are saying (though you may receive interpretation).
It is extremely powerful, praise the Lord. I've seen demons shivering and crying during deliverance as the pastor started speaking in tongues. God is so wondrous.

Anyway, I also want to add that there is such a thing as demonic tongues. Satan is a liar and a wannabe copycat of God, he tries to rip off and pervert everything. That's why you shouldn't go out and let just anyone put their hands on you because it could actually be a witch transferring demonic spirits onto you, and they could even give you a demonic (counterfeit) tongue.
How can a Christian obtain this "power"?
Different ways, as God is sovereign and He can do it as He sees fit. But I would suggest asking, seeking, knocking. You know that even our earthly fathers know how to give good gifts. How much more will your Heavenly Father give the Holy Ghost to them that ask Him? You have to be patient and humble, though. Some people received it relatively quickly, some did not even have to ask at all, and other have waited for 5 years.
You have to keep in mind that it is God empowering you for service; and also that it is the Promise of the Father. That means promise to you and me, all of us. So just let Him know that you desire this gift, draw near to Him, and let the Holy Spirit sanctify your heart. And live a holy life! God is holy, and He commands us to be holy as well. God has not changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0