Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In the runup to the 2020 election, a small news organization saw an opportunity.

The Epoch Times directed millions of dollars in advertising toward supporting President Donald Trump’s campaign and published dozens of articles parroting his lies about the election — resulting in huge growth to its audience and its coffers.

With the new [political] bedfellows came a new revenue stream. Though Falun Gong practitioners had been a reliable source of small donations in previous years, in 2020 the group started to receive gifts and grants from big money conservative donors.

The strategy garnered criticism from fact-checking groups and got it banned from advertising on Facebook, but it ultimately paid off — putting the once-fringe newspaper on a path that perhaps only its leader, who claims to have supernatural powers, could have foreseen.

Funded through aggressive online and real-world marketing campaigns and big-money conservative donors, The Epoch Times now boasts to be the country’s fourth-largest newspaper by subscriber count. [Its circulation is not audited, so this is a 'boast' rather than a fact, but it could very well be true.]

Anti-vaccine activist and presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr.calls The Epoch Times a daily read, among his most trusted news sources.

In July, Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., recited the history of The Epoch Times into the congressional record. “This is all about one word: freedom,” Norman said.

The Epoch Times was a “supporting sponsor” for this year’s [CPAC] conference.

Epoch Times representatives [did not comment on the story, but] also deny an affiliation with Falun Gong, despite the two groups’ clear financial and organizational ties: The Epoch Times board members and most staff are Falun Gong practitioners. The nonprofits behind The Epoch Times and Friends of Falun Gong, the movement’s advocacy organization, share executives and provide grants and services to each other, according to tax filings.

To his followers, [Falun Gong founder] Li [Hongzhi] is a God-like figure who can levitate, walk through walls and see into the future.

---

According to NewsGuard, a nonpartisan company that rates the credibility of news sites, both The Epoch Times news and opinion articles “frequently include distorted, misleading, or unsubstantiated claims.”

“The Epoch Times is a comment on how much credibility is put in things with the right look and feel. Things like naming, branding and headlines,” said Jay Rosen, associate professor of journalism at New York University. “The forms and formats of news are there. But the actual goods are not.”

“More and more, especially for the right-wing populists around the world, people approach truth and reality from the demand side,” Rosen said. “When there is the demand for something to be true, these media properties go out and meet it.”

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

So the American far-right is in bed (financially and ideologically) with a literal cult. Shocking. Shocking.

Oh...wait...no. The opposite of that. Still, this is pretty bad.

Aaaaaaand cue "What about when Democrats/the Left..." in 3, 2, 1...

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Epoch Times.

Just the name was a big clue to me. "Epoch" has a millenarian vibe to it. Theres a subtle appeal to peoples hope for the turning of eras, where some bigger force brings revolutionary change. People who live too much in that hope are ripe targets for all manner of charlatans.

We saw the left taken up with this overcooked hope in the 60s and 70s wishing for social and even personal transformation at a revolutionary, not evolutionary, tempo. Now its the right - though the desired outcome has a little different... flavor.

Last edited:
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is good to see there is no one sided political control over all the information any longer.
So all that's left is attack the messenger.

I see they supported Trump, maybe Hillary will be able to get the Epoch Times deprogramed.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It is good to see there is no one sided political control over all the information any longer.

I see they supported Trump, maybe Hillary will be able to get the Epoch Times deprogramed.

This is just bizarre. It's the mouthpiece of a literal cult. Please watch the JJ McCullough video I shared above. He's 'safe' for Republicans/politically conservative, and he tells the truth of what the Epoch Times is actually tied to. (It probably helps that he's Canadian, so he's not inherently caught up in the quagmire of Trump v. Everyone, like the American political scene is.)

Gah...you're making me miss the 1980s, when the right-wing fundamentalists were the ones out there hunting cults, even in places where there were none to be found! I like that much better than now (well, really then since the leader of the Moonies found political allies in the Reagan WH, which was itself in the 1980s, but ehhh), when posts like your reply and the actual history of how the Epoch Times has become a part of the regular right-wing media landscape show that things have somehow tilted in the pro-cult direction. It's amazing what a whole lot of partisanship will do!

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the runup to the 2020 election, a small news organization saw an opportunity.

The Epoch Times directed millions of dollars in advertising toward supporting President Donald Trump’s campaign and published dozens of articles parroting his lies about the election — resulting in huge growth to its audience and its coffers.

With the new [political] bedfellows came a new revenue stream. Though Falun Gong practitioners had been a reliable source of small donations in previous years, in 2020 the group started to receive gifts and grants from big money conservative donors.

The strategy garnered criticism from fact-checking groups and got it banned from advertising on Facebook, but it ultimately paid off — putting the once-fringe newspaper on a path that perhaps only its leader, who claims to have supernatural powers, could have foreseen.

Funded through aggressive online and real-world marketing campaigns and big-money conservative donors, The Epoch Times now boasts to be the country’s fourth-largest newspaper by subscriber count. [Its circulation is not audited, so this is a 'boast' rather than a fact, but it could very well be true.]

Anti-vaccine activist and presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr.calls The Epoch Times a daily read, among his most trusted news sources.

In July, Rep. Ralph Norman, R-S.C., recited the history of The Epoch Times into the congressional record. “This is all about one word: freedom,” Norman said.

Epoch Times representatives [did not comment on the story, but] also deny an affiliation with Falun Gong, despite the two groups’ clear financial and organizational ties: The Epoch Times board members and most staff are Falun Gong practitioners. The nonprofits behind The Epoch Times and Friends of Falun Gong, the movement’s advocacy organization, share executives and provide grants and services to each other, according to tax filings.

To his followers, [Falun Gong founder] Li [Hongzhi] is a God-like figure who can levitate, walk through walls and see into the future.

---

According to NewsGuard, a nonpartisan company that rates the credibility of news sites, both The Epoch Times news and opinion articles “frequently include distorted, misleading, or unsubstantiated claims.”

“The Epoch Times is a comment on how much credibility is put in things with the right look and feel. Things like naming, branding and headlines,” said Jay Rosen, associate professor of journalism at New York University. “The forms and formats of news are there. But the actual goods are not.”

“More and more, especially for the right-wing populists around the world, people approach truth and reality from the demand side,” Rosen said. “When there is the demand for something to be true, these media properties go out and meet it.”
The article was written by Ben Hurley, an X practitioner of the Falun Gong cult. He writes a support blog for those who have left or are trying to leave the cult. He worked for the Epoch Times.
Clearly, not everyone agrees with my assessment. An article appeared on this site that was highly critical of the ABC’s coverage of Falun Gong. It was written by Matthew Robertson, a doctoral student at Australian National University, and Wendy Rogers, Professor of Clinical Ethics at Macquarie University. Robertson is, like me, a former journalist with the Falun Gong affiliated media outlet, The Epoch Times. He says he learned Chinese so that he could read the original teachings of Li Hongzhi after discovering the true meaning of human life through Falun Gong, according to a Chinese-language Epoch Times report.

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is just bizarre. It's the mouthpiece of a literal cult. Please watch the JJ McCullough video I shared above. He's 'safe' for Republicans/politically conservative, and he tells the truth of what the Epoch Times is actually tied to. (It probably helps that he's Canadian, so he's not inherently caught up in the quagmire of Trump v. Everyone, like the American political scene is.)

Gah...you're making me miss the 1980s, when the right-wing fundamentalists were the ones out there hunting cults, even in places where there were none to be found! I like that much better than now (well, really then since the leader of the Moonies found political allies in the Reagan WH, which was itself in the 1980s, but ehhh), when posts like your reply and the actual history of how the Epoch Times has become a part of the regular right-wing media landscape show that things have somehow tilted in the pro-cult direction. It's amazing what a whole lot of partisanship will do!
I thought Trump supporters were already accused of being a cult and that's why according to Hillary, there needs to be a deprogramming process.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I thought Trump supporters were already accused of being a cult
Not all Trump supporters have reached the level where their desire for pleasing 'alternative facts' outweighs their ability to discern the actual facts of the matter.

But for those who have become so deluded that they crave pleasing lies, the Epoch Times is an excellent resource.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I thought Trump supporters were already accused of being a cult and that's why according to Hillary, there needs to be deprogramming process.
What does Hil have to do with anything?

Either Falun Gong is a flat out cult, led by an opportunistic charlatan, or it isnt.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all Trump supporters have reached the level where their desire for pleasing 'alternative facts' outweighs their ability to discern the actual facts of the matter.

But for those who have become so deluded that they crave pleasing lies, the Epoch Times is an excellent resource.
Yeah - I have been wondering about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

---

I read this earlier. This group has been around for awhile, and has figured how to tap into the big bucks with conspiracies. It is sad, really.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah - I have been wondering about Robert F. Kennedy Jr.
R. Kennedy seems to have a penchant for conspiracy theories. I suspect this inclination may have developed through his childhood because of the conspiracy theories about his uncle John. They were constant and well-developed in many cases. Movies were even made. It would only be natural for him to have delved into investigating them. The violent death of his own father may have left him searching, wondering if there was a connection between the two deaths.
These tragedies occurring at such a young age may have left him psychologically and emotionally fragile to the point of obsession, compulsion, attraction...?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I thought Trump supporters were already accused of being a cult and that's why according to Hillary, there needs to be a deprogramming process.

Nothing in the thread, or the video I shared, or my response to what you wrote, has anything to do with Hillary Clinton. Stop trying to bring her comment into everything like she's the master of everyone to the left of Trump, and her opinion guides everything. Speaking for myself, I couldn't care one whit what any of the Clintons think about anything, and I doubt I'm alone in that.

The topic is the Epoch Times, and how it became popular with America's right-wing. I merely pointed out that it's incredibly bizarre to see the right-wing go from being incredibly anti-cult to the point of seeing cult activity where there was none back in the 1980s, to today when it is apparently pro-cult, or at least pro-cult information sources provided that said sources tell the right-wing the sorts of things they want to hear.

It would be like if the American left became very suddenly pro-Nazi, and the whackos at Stormfront sponsored whatever the Democratic version of CPAC would be, with the full support of its organizers. That would be incredibly bizarre, but unlike that scenario, the one involving the Epoch Times, the legitimizing (?) 'news reporting' propaganda front of the Falun Gong cult, and the American right actually happened.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
R. Kennedy seems to have a penchant for conspiracy theories. I suspect this inclination may have developed through his childhood because of the conspiracy theories about his uncle John. They were constant and well-developed in many cases. Movies were even made. It would only be natural for him to have delved into investigating them. The violent death of his own father may have left him searching, wondering if there was a connection between the two deaths.
These tragedies occurring at such a young age may have left him psychologically and emotionally fragile to the point of obsession, compulsion, attraction...?
Or it could be the more mundane reasons that millions of other people fall for the same stuff: deep unease in the face of chaos and the need to concoct overarching narratives to make "sense" of it all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Looks like I need to add deprogrammed to this list.
"Come on man!"
"You didn't build that!"
"Died suddenly"
"we have to pass the bill before we can see what's in it"
"Well the son of a (gun) got fired"
"10% for the Big Guy"
"what difference does it make (sic)"

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟290,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The Epoch Times board members and most staff are Falun Gong practitioners.

Huh. I bet the office parties are fun.

I fought the wall
And the wall won
I fought the wall
And the wall won... ;)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Huh. I bet the office parties are fun.

I fought the wall
And the wall won
I fought the wall
And the wall won... ;)
I'm walking on sunshine.... And don't it feel good!

Upvote 0