✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
zephcom said:
Religionists like to think they are circumventing logic by making up phrases they think are mysterious and inscrutable.

Logic does not apply to the spiritual - you are trying to dig with the wrong tool.

Unless you become as a little child you cannot enter the Kingdom of God. - That required childlike faith - not reason.

You are preaching in this world. Pretending that allows you to toss away anything you like does not make for good preaching.

But logic still applies in our lives. And it is logic which makes the idea that God knows what we will do and that we have freedom to choose a non-starter. Christians particularly have a massive problem with this issue because they insist that each person HAS to decide to be 'saved' or they are forever lost while their God, by definition has to be able to know everything.

I believe because He appeared to me face to face when I was about 8 years old.

Which, of course, has nothing at all to do with the discussion.

In order to keep their religion afloat they have to reconcile how an individual can truly choose and their God know before hand what they have chosen. Your 'outside of time' is one attempt to reconcile that issue. It fails, however, because Christianity insists that God is active 'inside of time' and carries that information with Him.

Im glad I don't need to pass your test - God Chooses His own but does not force their performance. Why is it so hard to conceive of a God who sees across time but chooses not to manipulate?

-I- did not say that God chooses to manipulate. Please pay attention to what I say. The problem is that God merely knows...perfectly...the future. It is just knowing that locks us out of free will.

And as mere humans, we simply do not have the ability to make Him wrong. And that means while we may perceive that we have free will, in reality we don't. We can only do what God knows we will do.

This is Robot talk - Moses asked passionately that He withdraw Judgement on Israel and He did...

God's judgment has nothing at all to do with the conversation. Please stay on the topic.

And that destroys the Christian concept that we can choose or not choose to be 'saved'. It is the Achilles Heel of modern Christianity. And the apologists will make up all sorts of word spaghetti in order to make that problem go away.

It is a problem for those who do not believe in election but folks like myself who know that Grace unto salvation is a gift appreciate How wonderful and loving God is by gifting what we don't deserve. We will eternally thank Him for it.

Again, this has nothing at all to do with the conversation.

Why don't you ask Him to reveal Himself to you ?

Since God already knows what I will do, I have no choice in the matter. It makes no sense asking me why I don't do anything.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
You still try to insist that God's foreknowledge precludes individual free will...

This is clearly not so...

There is an old saying "you make your bed... you lie in it..."

There is a relationship between freedom and truth...

And the red was no more than a conversational demarkation.

People continue to insist that God's foreknowledge precludes individual free will because that is exactly what the problem is. Quoting an old saying does not change the facts of the discussion.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
From Roman 9:

19 One of you will say to me, “Then why does God still find fault? For who can resist His will?” 20 But who are you, O man, to talk back to God?Shall what is formed say to Him who formed it,“Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have the right to make from the same lump of clay one vessel for special occasions and another for common use?…
Yes.
I agree with that verse, (what choice do we HAVE)?
HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS PROVES MY POINT!??!

Upvote 0

Belk

Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟895,643.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You want a link from a dumpster in 1984? I don’t think Al Gore had invented the internet as of yet.

What was shown was legs, arms, a half torso, most of the face and pieces of skull. Wrapped in crumpled up blue paper and thrown in with approximately 15 others. I saw them with my own eyes. It is the foundation of why I am so vocal about the murder of children.

If only it were possible to find things on the internet that happened prior to its existence.

March 30, 1981 | President Reagan Is Shot

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Given that this is from Politico an avowed leftwing publication, I don't put much credence in this. The anti-abortion movement started with the Catholic church which has been a major voting block of the democratic party for a long time. Fortunately, that has been changing. No one told me abortion was wrong though. I figured it out for myself as a teenager when I saw the remains of aborted baby. A picture is worth a 1000 words, as they say.

Upvote 0