• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Should We Separate Church and State

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by mkgal1, Sep 11, 2017.

1. mkgal1

mkgal1 His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33

+2,197
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm not posting this is the politics forum, because .....well, I guess because--according to what I've been told---I hold to "controversial theology" and I wanted to be able to speak openly. I saw this interview this morning and it's got me thinking. I agree that Jesus' agenda was definitely "political" (depending on how one defines that word)....so I wonder HOW we are to properly draw the lines between church and state and what that actually should mean. I'd love it if you could watch the interview prior to posting in order to understand the question I'm asking:

2. miknik5

miknik5 "Let not your heart be troubled"

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don't agree that Jesus' agenda was definitely "political" at all...

How could it be "political"?

He didn't come to arbitrate between men.
    He came to bring together what had been separated because of all these "outward names and labels" we have given ourselves...

3. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    im watching it now...sorry.

4. SkyWriting

SkyWriting Berean through and through Supporter

+2,333
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    CHURCHES SHOULD BE FREE TO express their views and conduct their
    affairs with a minimum of Federal restrictions. Every corporate body recives
    some benefit from governmental services and in return should conduct
    themselves as required by federal law.

5. Targaryen

Targaryen Scripture,Tradition and Reason

+362
    Canada
    Anglican
    Single
    CA-NDP
    I don't understand exactly what you are trying to express in this case. Are you saying the church body is wrong? The Pastor? What exactly made this a case of Church and State?

6. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Ahhh?

This is a diversion...it's a shifting the focus off of CHRIST unto an "agenda" which is the result of those who do not know CHRIST...

And so this man patches up a temporal problem with temporal solutions...but does not provide what really lasts.

And the people like it that way...

Thi

7. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The "body" of CHRIST's true purpose is to preach and exalt CHRIST.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I say this reverend is confused and forgot THE BETTER PART.

9. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    He is doing a backwards attempt to appease flesh.
    Removing the names of white generals as if these supposed historical monuments are being worshipped or even considered as nothing more than idle...idols...

If one even considers them to be so,

He is attempting to appease black men and women by "taking a stand" in removing white male prominent figures of history.

Unbelievable.

Yeah!

This should solve all the world's problems!!!

10. Targaryen

+362
    Canada
    Anglican
    Single
    CA-NDP
    Actually, not at all. But, that's fine. You can go back to your limited view of the church if you want. The Church's role is to glorify Christ yes, and serve as the barer of his message in the world. I think you willingly negate that bit.

11. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    He needs to wake up and see that what he is doing is adding more confusion in areas that were not even thought of...

Now we have white reverends trying to tear down historical monuments as if this matters...

What will this solve?

12. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    CHRIST, you mean?
    the limited view of the ONE GOSPEL?

Yes...
    I will.

13. miknik5

+2,439
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Bye

14. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+5,107
    Christian
    Private
    It wont solve anything. People will still hate and be discontent with life.

15. Targaryen

+362
    Canada
    Anglican
    Single
    CA-NDP
    So you're suggesting we as the Church should stand idly by while hate is sown? Interesting.

16. mkgal1

+2,197
    Anglican
    Married
    Did you happen to watch the video (that's why I requested that it be viewed....because it answers that question pretty well, IMO). ETA: I just now saw your post that stated you're watching it.

17. W2L

W2L Well-Known Member

+5,107
    Christian
    Private
    Of course not. Do you think taking down statues will diminish hatred? That was my point. I see politics and how they play out. Politics will always be full of hatred.

18. mkgal1

+2,197
    Anglican
    Married
    Sorry I wasn't clear at all what I was trying to express.

I really admire Rev Rob Lee....and think he's doing just what the body of Christ ought to be doing (speaking out against hatred and bigotry....loving inclusively.....and not allowing the pressure of his congregation to change his behavior).

I hear so many people saying that "clergy shouldn't get involved in politics"....but maybe we need to first define what "politics" are? If speaking out against hatred and bigotry is "political" (which I don't believe it is).....then what is the function or scope of influence clergy is supposed to have.

:( ....for some reason I don't believe that's any more clear. I'm trying to multi-task right now and it's not going so well.

19. Serving Zion

Serving Zion Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness Supporter

+287
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus Christ is the King of Truth (John 18:37) and righteousness (Revelation 19:11), and we enter covenant to represent Him on earth for that purpose. Truth and righteousness have vital place in both politics and religion. But I don't know why you have suggested that church and state ought be separate things, and why you have shown this video too (mind, I am not in or from USA, I do not have the social context of an insider).

This video seems to be more about racism than separating church and state, and more about suppressing the words of truth and righteousness in pulpits (John 16:2, Luke 19:14, 2 Peter 2:1c).

20. mkgal1

+2,197
    Anglican
    Married
    I think maybe it's best if I back up a bit and begin here (where separation of church and state is discussed). My reason from throwing that into the mix is because of the vast number of people that get angsty whenever a person of clergy tries to approach this topic.

But first:

I'm actually unclear--and wishing to understand better--where those lines are legally drawn.