Jun 10, 2005
In the Cornfields
✟8,434.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A question for those who are in churches that celebrate communion:

How open is your table, and do you agree with your church's (or denomination's) stand on this question?

For example, in my denomination, we celebrate an open table, but what that actually means depends from congregation to congregation and pastor to pastor. Some churches allow all baptized believers to partake, which excludes unbaptized children. I know that in many churches (those who perform infant baptism), only those who are confirmed may partake. But in some churches and with some pastors, anyone is welcome to partake. So, what is your take on the Lord's Supper?

Multi-Elis

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2003
Paris
Visit site
✟17,911.00
Faith
Christian
In my Anglican church, planted in the middle of Paris, any one who considers Jesus as their Lord and savior is welcome. Those who want to recieve a blessing are welcome to come forward as well, only they should keep their hands down to indicate they only want a blessing. This seems to work well for a church that has so many visiting people from different denominations and backgrounds.

I agree with this stand. I think that only people for whom Jesus has some sort of relevence to them should be participating in this ritual. I also like the fact that in our church, comunion is shared with so many different types and walks -- brand new believers, catholics, very liberals, conservatives, luke-warm christians, over zelous christians, it reflects the way God's church truely is. And it's nice, that even if you are visiting, you can still participate. It bothers me when I go visiting in Catholic churches, or attend a funeral in one, and I don't have the right to take communion. So I am glad to be part of a church that does on to others as I would have them do unto me.

Reactions: hls
Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The denomination I have recently been attending permits all baptized believers to the table (actually, altar rail). However, the parish I have attended permits everyone to the rail, Christian or not, baptized or not, whatever.

I've come recently to agree with permitting all to communion. I can't see Jesus turning people away; thus, I can't see us turning people away from Jesus. It may not be technically correct, but I confess that I sometimes don't quibble about the technicalities.

Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
:wave: Happy Birthday, Dave! :)

In the Catholic Church, undrer normal circumstances, only Catholics who have not committed a mortal sin since their last good Sacramental Confession, are not under the ban of excommunication and have observed the pre-Communion fast prescribed by their Rite (1 hour before reception in the Latin Rite, to which I belong) may receive the Blessed Sacrament.

Also, in the Latin Rite at least, lay people ought only receive the Blessed Sacrament once per day, except for extraordinary circumstances or if a different type of Mass is attended (e.g. if there is a normal Mass, a nuptial Mass and a requiem Mass on the same day, and you attend all three). Priests may normally receive twice a day if only one type of Mass is celebrated, except for extraodrinary cirumstances.

I agree with this stance, because I would consider anything less a sacrelige against the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord and anything more (e.g. only being allowed to receive once a month or at certain periods of the year) keeping from the faithful the source of life.

Pax vobiscum,
Rob :)

Upvote 0

ottaia

Blue Dragon Rider
Jun 14, 2005
Michigan
✟2,442.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Robbie_James_Francis said:
Also, in the Latin Rite at least, lay people ought only receive the Blessed Sacrament once per day, except for extraordinary circumstances or if a different type of Mass is attended

I was raised RC and had a bit of a problem communing more than once a day when I became ELCA!

Upvote 0

Rev. Smith

Old Catholic Priest
Jun 29, 2004
Tucson, AZ
Visit site
✟9,505.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My church, The Old Catholic Church, is one of the few catholic (meaning in Apostolic Succession for the purpose of this discussion) confessions that offers not just open Communion, but open sacraments. Any baptised christian who desires any of the sacraments is welcome in our church.

That doctrine is one of the most important to me personaly, a closed church - or one that puts barriers between God's people and God's grace just isn't being the church Christ wanted. He ministered to publicans and sinners, how can we justify "purity" and doctrine tests. Clubs have membership, God's house must be open and welcoming to ALL of his creatures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We used to be: any baptized Christian who believed in the Real Presence of the Body and Blood of Christ was welcome to commune.

Now we're: this is not our table, but God's Table. All are welcome.

On reflection, I don't think there was any test of doctrinal purity the evening of the first Last Supper - so I support this change.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
UberLutheran said:
We used to be: any baptized Christian who believed in the Real Presence of the Body and Blood of Christ was welcome to commune.

On reflection, I don't think there was any test of doctrinal purity the evening of the first Last Supper - so I support this change.

It is wonderful indeed to see churches becoming more open and welcoming to all at Christ's table. How great indeed to see Christ's grace offered to all!

Upvote 0

Soul Searcher

The kingdom is within
Apr 27, 2005
West Virginia
✟39,544.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
UberLutheran said:

As it should be :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrysalis Kat

Gettin' Riggy With It
Nov 25, 2004
TEXAS
✟20,887.00
Faith
Politics
US-Democrat
UberLutheran said:
And I've meant to say -- if you're really 15, you have a wisdom far, FAR beyond your chronological age!
Agreed.
DaveS, are you sure you don't you want me to be your adoptive mommy? I promise I'll let you play with the pups all you want.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.