How old is the world?

A4C

Secrecy and Christ likeness cannot co-exist
Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
Praxiteles said:
The Big Bang has exactly *nothing* to do with evolution. It has exactly the same relevance to ToE as it has to the design schematics for a dishwasher.
And evolution has as much relevance to the existance of man as a dishwasher being made without a designer or a schematic

Upvote 0
GodsSamus said:
Unless the Big Bang occured, why are we here? The atheists don't have a replacement theory based on REAL evidence.

OK, first off, cosmology is not atheism. More Christians than atheists accept the Big Bang based on the evidence (red shift, COBE etc).

Secondly, could you please apologise for conflating cosmological theories with biological ones?

Thirdly, why are we here? I don't know.

Reactions: Carmack
Upvote 0

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

Agnostic by Fact, Atheist by Epiphany
May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
GodsSamus said:
The Big Bang's the Big Dud. It's foundational to Evolution, though.
This is a common misconception held by people that have no idea what cosmology or evolution is.

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
GodsSamus said:
Unless the Big Bang occured, why are we here? The atheists don't have a replacement theory based on REAL evidence.
You don't get it, do you.

I'm not talking about the big bang. I'm talking about dishonesty. If I were an alien, ignorant of evolution and creation claims, I would see the creationist argument (as you present it), and immediately know that you were selling me a load of bull. Game over.

I don't take kindly to liars. Honesty is the framework of my personal moral code. I'd like to see a little of that good ol' Christian morality practiced by creationists. Is that asking too much?

Upvote 0

Battie

Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Northern Virginia
Visit site
✟9,989.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
GodsSamus said:
Or they are telling the truth and YOU are the one who's decieved.

The author is tearing down a strawman. It doesn't even matter if the Big Bang is true in this case. What is being presented on that website is a lie about what the Big Bang says. That's dishonest, bad science, and sure doesn't make me feel like rejoining the YEC side. If they really have something that supports a young earth then the should try to disprove what the Big Bang theory actually says, not some half-baked version that a minimal amount of research could correct.

Upvote 0

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
GodsSamus said:
What you are pondering is first cause. There are no competing theories for first cause, just guesses.

Upvote 0

A4C

Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
Praxiteles said:
Really? How do you get that?
So you are saying tht something as simple as a dishwasher needs somebody to design it but the complex human being (and every other life form) just got here by chance?
I say a designer was required for both

Upvote 0

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A4C said:
So you are saying tht something as simple as a dishwasher needs somebody to design it but the complex human being (and every other life form) just got here by chance?
Nope.

I agree - both require a design. One is designed by human beings, the other designed by natural processes.

Evolution is not chance.

Furthermore, living entities have an important quality that dishwashers do not possess - they reproduce. It's rather an important distinction.

Upvote 0

nvxplorer

Senior Contributor
Jun 17, 2005
✟20,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
A4C said:
You are correct! I was designed by my mother and father.

Upvote 0

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
GodsSamus said:
That's interesting. Why do we find dinosaur pictures on pottery unless we saw them?
I apologize as I can not find the link, but I have seen someone on this very forum refute that. The pottery turned out to be forgeries made by natives from images they saw in comic books. Maybe someone can help me out with a reference. I’ll keep looking and add it as an edit later.

EDIT: [url="http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=10663018&postcount=5 (thanks"]http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?p=10663018&postcount=5 (thanks[/url] prax)

Upvote 0

Spaceman_Spiff

CthulhuAce
Oct 10, 2004
Scarberia
✟17,466.00
Faith
Atheist
GodsSamus said:
That's interesting. Why do we find dinosaur pictures on pottery unless we saw them?

Same reason we find half animal half human pictures in egyptian pictigraphs or pegasus on Greecian urns or vampires in most cultures in this world. Humans have incredible imaginations and when it gets dark outside we see what scares us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
AnEmpiricalAgnostic said:
I apologize as I can not find the link, but I have seen someone on this very forum refute that. The pottery turned out to be forgeries made by natives from images they saw in comic books. Maybe someone can help me out with a reference. I’ll keep looking and add it as an edit later.

Ica stones

I think Talk Origins has a piece on them as well, although some people seem to be allergic to that website.

Upvote 0

A4C

Aug 9, 2004
✟3,626.00
Faith
Christian
AnEmpiricalAgnostic said:
This is called a Claytons refute - The type of refute you have when you are not having a refute

Upvote 0

In A Perfect World

Jun 19, 2005
CT
✟17,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
wisdomseeker said:
Bibically if the world is six thousand years old than that would make dinosaurs being in existence before the world was created. How can this be?
It can't. Simply: the Bible was written by men who knew no dinosaurs and possibly only knew their lineage up to a certain point that was documented (or perhaps improvised a little).

Upvote 0