How much should you have in common with a significant other to make the relationship work besides our faith ?

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife and I are polar opposites in everything but after 40 years I found she balanced me out. As time went on and our kids started playing sports, she learned a lot about it, and I've lost interest. It's funny where life takes you. The only belief we have in common is God.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can the relationship just work from shared values and beliefs or is interests and hobbies really important too ?
Shared interests and hobbies are far less important. I don't share very many hobbies with my wife (now of 40 years).

Our interests and hobbies are compatible, however, in that we can largely indulge in them while still sitting together at home. They don't leave one of us at home while the other is galivanting off in the wild, blue yonder.

What is very, very important, however, is that both of us do have hobbies and interests that allow each of us to entertain ourselves. My wife does not depend on me or any other outside agency to entertain her; we are each comfortable with our own company.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If God has you together, you enjoy discovering the surprises, no matter how much you have in common or not.

You need to be able to share closely with all our brothers and sisters in Jesus. This can include taking an instant interest in anything so you can talk and share with each other > read what Paul says about becoming >

"all things to all men" >

in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.

From this, I see I do well to take an interest in anything about my lady friend, so I know what she is doing, what she might need, and because I value simply being with her.

When I was a kid, dogs were an idol for me, partly because I was such a jerk and screwball who had little social activity. Then in Jesus I knew I needed to care about any and all people and find out how to love each one. So, dogs became nothing to me.

But with loving people came enjoying their dogs and at times helping care for them. And now I see how dogs can have unique personalities and be very worldly like people . . . often being clueless about how to love, like plenty of people are maybe very charming but clueless and only using people for what they want.

So, with Jesus and loving I have developed different interests and ways of seeing things.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If God has you together, you enjoy discovering the surprises, no matter how much you have in common or not.
What God has shown me through marriage is I can't always have my way and to humble myself and bite my tongue. Because sometimes my tongue whips around like a snake's tongue. I usually say what's on my mind and not think about the consequences.

Upvote 0