Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course God can have all the control but what does that mean? And what control does he always maintain?

When I fire a bullet from a gun there are all kinds of forces going on from when the bullet leaves the gun until it stops. We call this physics.

But where does God come into physics?

Is God the force behind the bullet or the force behind all physics? Is he the force behind holding the matter of the bullet together or the force behind the breaking of flesh and embedding the bullet into someone's chest? What about the electrical signal that is sent from my brain and moves down my arm and tells my hand to hold on the gun and my finger to pull the trigger? Did God just setup the physics machine and let it run on its own or is he a active force behind all energy?

If God is then the idea of free will is questioned. If God controls all the electrical signals in my brain then where does my own free will come into play? Do I really have any control? Or is it that my free will is an expression of something that exists outside of matter and energy such as a spirit/soul that is in direct relation with God who controls all energy thus translating my thoughts into actions.

Have I gone too deep for you yet?

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I believe God created the universe. So God is behind all the laws of physics.
I believe God created Adam and Eve and gave them and thru them us free will. I don't believe God overrides that freewill. I have no problem with God dealing with a person to try and convice them to do the right thing. God has done that to me. After all we often try to convice other people to do what we want them to do.

dayhiker

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Of course God can have all the control but what does that mean? And what control does he always maintain?

When I fire a bullet from a gun there are all kinds of forces going on from when the bullet leaves the gun until it stops. We call this physics.

But where does God come into physics?

Is God the force behind the bullet or the force behind all physics? Is he the force behind holding the matter of the bullet together or the force behind the breaking of flesh and embedding the bullet into someone's chest? What about the electrical signal that is sent from my brain and moves down my arm and tells my hand to hold on the gun and my finger to pull the trigger? Did God just setup the physics machine and let it run on its own or is he a active force behind all energy?
God breathes the life into every aspect of his creation. Of course he does that in a consistant way or we would be stuffed. God and "the laws of physics" are not an either/or.

If God is then the idea of free will is questioned. If God controls all the electrical signals in my brain then where does my own free will come into play?
You have that problem whether God is in control or whether it's an entirely mechanical thing.

Upvote 0

StevenMerten

I Love You, God!
Dec 27, 2005
Lynnwood, WA
Visit site
✟69,502.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God is then the idea of free will is questioned. If God controls all the electrical signals in my brain then where does my own free will come into play? Do I really have any control? Or is it that my free will is an expression of something that exists outside of matter and energy such as a spirit/soul that is in direct relation with God who controls all energy thus translating my thoughts into actions.

Have I gone too deep for you yet?

Hello DamianWars,

We have God telling us that this is not the case. God tells us it is our choice.

NAB SIR 15:11 Man's Free Will.

Say not: "It was God's doing that I fell away"; for what he hates he does not do. Say not: "It was he who set me astray"; for he has no need of wicked man. Abominable wickedness the LORD hates, he does not let it befall those who fear him. When God, in the beginning, created man, he made him subject to his own free choice. If you choose you can keep the commandments; it is loyalty to do his will. There are set before you fire and water; to whichever you choose, stretch forth your hand. Before man are life and death, whichever he chooses shall be given him.

Upvote 0

Joveia

Christian
Feb 3, 2004
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Visit site
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think a good way of visualising God sustaining the universe is this: imagine a circle with a dot in the middle. Now imagine lots of lines going out from the middle of the circle to every point of the circle. You'll need an infinite number of lines to make a connection to *every* point of the circle, or when you zoom in enough (eventually) there will be gaps. So you need an infinite number of lines to make a 'fully connected circle'. Now, take one line out of this infinite number of lines and extend it out from the circle, and you have what you could call a single 'finity' out of an infinity. This is like finite existence out of the infinity that is God.

So God is literally everywhere, and sustains everything, because that 'finity' (that line in the circle) is sustained by living inside the whole circle. In a similar way, between my two hands there is an infinity of possible points, between New York and Los Angeles there is an infinity of possible points, between everything there is an infinity. Between 1 and 2 there is an infinity from 1.000...1 to 1.999...9. Infinity is literally everywhere. This is God being the infinite 'glue' that holds all of creation together, this finite existence being dependent upon His infinite existence. So God holds the bullet, the universe, everything together as a single finity out of His infinite being.

This is the most dependent relationship, of the universe on God, that you could ever imagine. It includes and goes far beyond God merely holding all the atoms together; He 'glues' finite existence itself together.

In this, God makes sure to leave room for free will.

Upvote 0

revanneosl

Mystically signifying since 1985
Feb 25, 2007
Northern Illniois
✟39,310.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that you would really enjoy a book called The Third Peacock by Robert Ferrar Capon. It is unfortunately not available as a single book any more, but blessedly you can still get it in an omnibus volume along with two of his other early works entitled The Romance of the Word.

He does a great treatment of the interaction between God's action in continually holding the world in being, while at the same time allowing the various entities (humans, animals, rocks, etc.) their own various sorts of freedom. One bit that has always stuck with me was his description of the fact that even as God in Christ hansgs on the cross, he still flatters the wood into being wood, the nails into being nails, and his flesh into being flesh.

Upvote 0

god's_pawn

moving as God wills
Nov 14, 2008
✟15,607.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
there are various theories, hypothesis, and guesses out there and who knows which one is right. i tend to think that God created everything and set it in motion (like a wind-up clock if you will); however i also believe that He takes active part in His creation. I believe miracles are the times when God steps outside of the Laws He set for this world to accomplish his plan and will.

physicists still don't know what holds the smallest known subatomic particles together, could this be God? it may very well be so.

Upvote 0

ghs1994

Jul 1, 2005
Ohio
✟16,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course God can have all the control but what does that mean?

It simply means God has a plan. The plan will be followed. Why? Because God already knows what is going to happen from day to day. God does not exist in our time frame, He transcends time since He is the beginning and end.

I don't know that I've ever really understood how it is God has control other than everything that He has promised thus far has come to pass. Maybe I don't really need to explain it to myself at all. Maybe all I have to do is see the evidence of past promises fulfilled and believe the future ones will be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

ERice2nd

Oct 7, 2006
Michigan
✟16,346.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It simply means God has a plan. The plan will be followed. Why? Because God already knows what is going to happen from day to day. God does not exist in our time frame, He transcends time since He is the beginning and end.

I don't know that I've ever really understood how it is God has control other than everything that He has promised thus far has come to pass. Maybe I don't really need to explain it to myself at all. Maybe all I have to do is see the evidence of past promises fulfilled and believe the future ones will be fulfilled.

I think this is what God would rather us do. To have faith in him and his works, and to trust that his will WILL come to pass.

I am not saying its a bad thing to wonder about God and who he is and why he does things or doesnt do them. That wonderment can be used to bring glory to God. Understand though that the more we think about the workings of God the further into a paradox we send ourselves. At least thats what I believe. Like the question here "Does God control everything? and if so, what about free will?" do you see the paradox there?

God ways are unfathomable to human beings, we just dont have the mental capacity to figure him out. To him we are like little children. The wisest of us will seem like the greatest fool when compared to God.

Now to give my answer. I think God controls everything directly but us...to us he gives us free will and allows us to make choices, he doesnt bind us to instinct like he does the animals. I think God can work through our choices though, inspire someone through the doings of another. Like for instance, a friend of mine about 10 years ago saw a lady whos car was stuck, so he went out to help her get unstuck, that act inspired me to help because I realized it was the right thing to do. inspiration comes from God in the form of suggestions from the Holy Spirit, nudging us in the right direction but still leaving us free to turn any which way we want.

Upvote 0

Nadiine

Apr 14, 2006
Obama: 53% deserve him ;)
✟292,219.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God has as much control as He wants imo.

It doesn't matter if He has full control over everybody
and everything (making us helpless and under His thumb)
or partial control due to spiritual laws He's ordained.

Either way, we're given commands and principles from God
to live by and know Him by. Romans 1:18-22, Rom 2:14-15.

If people want to rebel against God becuz they think He has
control over them, who are they ultimately harming, God or themselves?

I think it boils down to submission & humility before a Holy,
Almighty, all knowing God no matter what He does or can do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.