caravelair

Mar 22, 2004
✟10,119.00
Faith
Atheist
Avtoritet said:
and your source???

gallup poll results, perhaps...

Of the scientists and engineers in the United States, only about 5% are creationists, according to a 1991 Gallup poll (Robinson 1995, Witham 1997). However, this number includes those working in fields not related to life origins (such as computer scientists, mechanical engineers, etc.). Taking into account only those working in the relevant fields of earth and life sciences, there are about 480,000 scientists, but only about 700 believe in "creation-science" or consider it a valid theory (Robinson 1995). This means that less than 0.15 percent of relevant scientists believe in creationism. And that is just in the United States, which has more creationists than any other industrialized country. In other countries, the number of relevant scientists who accept creationism drops to less than one tenth of 1 percent.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA111.html

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

Upvote 0

paulrob

Apr 5, 2005
✟7,705.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Event Horizon said:
Lol. It's now at 16-0. YECism is a minority(whether this poll ends up depicting it or not) in the world. The U.S. is the only modern nation that tends to have problems with it and quite a large portion of the population are creationists (44%). Other modern nations tend to view it as they view a flat earther's beliefs.

Since when were the majority right about anything?

I quote from http://www.apologeticspress.org/modules.php?name=Read&cat=5&itemid=2644 - an article that you would be wise to read if you dare !!!

"Factual knowledge is not based on: (a) the number of people supporting the claim; or (b) the importance of the one(s) making that claim. Famed newspaper magnate William Randolph Hurst Jr. once wrote about pressures from “fashionable ideas...which are advanced with such force that common sense itself becomes the victim.” He observed that a person under such pressure might then act “with an irrationality which is almost beyond belief” (1971, p. A-4). This is exactly what happened in the cases of Jenner and Semmelweis—and that list could be extended with ease. Common sense became the victim, and people acted irrationally. Were “the scientists” in the majority? Indeed. Were they wrong? Yes. Just because “knowledgeable experts” believe something does not necessarily make it right.
Furthermore, as the old saying goes, “that which proves too much, proves nothing at all.” If we were so predisposed as to turn Quammen’s argument against him, it would not be all that difficult to do so. In his article, Quammen bemoaned the fact that there are far too many people who, in his words, “remain unpersuaded about evolution.” He continued this line of thinking by presenting the following facts.

According to a Gallup poll drawn from more than a thousand telephone interviews conducted in February 2001, no less than 45 percent of responding U.S. adults agreed that “God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so.” Evolution, by their lights, played no role in shaping us.

Only 37 percent of the polled Americans were satisfied with allowing room for both God and Darwin—that is, divine initiative to get things started, evolution as the creative means. (This view, according to more than one papal pronouncement, is compatible with Roman Catholic dogma.) Still fewer Americans, only 12 percent, believed that humans evolved from other life-forms without any involvement of a god.

The most startling thing about these poll numbers is not that so many Americans reject evolution, but that the statistical breakdown hasn’t changed much in two decades. Gallup interviewers posed exactly the same choices in 1982, 1993, 1997, and 1999. The creationist conviction—that God alone, and not evolution, produced humans—has never drawn less than 44 percent. In other words, nearly half the American populace prefers to believe that Charles Darwin was wrong where it mattered most (2004, 206[5]:6, emp. added).

Yes, they certainly do! For a more in-depth examination into some of the “poll numbers” to which Mr. Quammen alluded, consider these facts. On November 28, 1991, results were released from a Gallup poll regarding the biblical account of origins, the results of which may be summarized as follows. On origins: 47% believed God created man within the last 10,000 years (up 3% from the 1982 poll mentioned above); 40% believed man evolved over millions of years, but that God guided the process; 9% believed man evolved over millions of years without God; 4% were “other/don’t know.” On the Bible: 32% believed the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, and that it should be taken literally; 49% believed the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, but that it should not always be taken literally; 16% believed the Bible to be entirely the product of men; 3% were “other/don’t know” (see Major, 1991, 11:48; John Morris, 1992, p. d).

Two years later, a Gallup poll carried out in 1993 produced almost the same results. Of those responding, 47% stated that they believed in a recent creation of man; 11% expressed their belief in a strictly naturalistic form of evolution (see Newport, 1993, p. A-22). Four years after that poll, a 1997 Gallup survey found that 44% of Americans (including 31% who were college graduates) subscribed to a fairly literal reading of the Genesis account of creation, while another 39% (53% of whom were college graduates) believed God played at least some part in creating the Universe. Only 10% (17% college graduates) embraced a purely naturalistic, evolutionary view (see Bishop, 1998, pp. 39-48; Sheler, 1999, pp. 48-49). The results of a Gallup poll released in August 1999 were practically identical: 47% stated that they believed in a recent creation of man; 9% expressed belief in strictly naturalistic evolution (see Moore, 1999).

In its March 11, 2000 issue, the New York Times ran a story titled “Survey Finds Support is Strong for Teaching 2 Origin Theories,” which reported on a poll commissioned by the liberal civil rights group, People for the American Way, and conducted by the prestigious polling/public research firm, [size=-1]DYG[/size], of Danbury, Connecticut. According to the report, 79% of the people polled felt that the scientific evidence for creation should be included in the curriculum of public schools (see Glanz, 2000, p. A-1).

On November 22, 2004, [size=-1]CBS [/size]announced the results of the latest poll to date, in an article titled “Creationism Trumps Evolution.” According to [size=-1]CBS[/size], the poll once again showed that “Americans do not believe that humans evolved, and the vast majority says that even if they evolved, God guided the process. Just 13 percent say that God was not involved” (see “Poll: Creationism…,” 2004)."

Upvote 0

Lucretius

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2005
✟5,541.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Notice in Europe this Creationism folly is really scarce.

I can't believe so many Americans will still buy the Creationism trash. They really lack knowledge of science — because if they didn't; they wouldn't be Creationists.

A few kids in my class who don't accept evolution ask me "Why are apes still around?" "We found a plesiosaur!" and "Humans and dinosaurs lived together." Oh, can't forget "Dinosaurs didn't eat meat before the flood; because their teeth would fall out."

I mean, come on! What is happening to my generation? Turning into dolts!

I'm still fighting the good fight though! Finished yet another paper for school on Evolution, thanks in part to a kind Creationist who posted his opinions on my other thread. Thanks again man.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
snowydc2003 said:
I thought creationism was based on bible stories and not a religion in its own right, please correct if i'm wrong...

It depends on who you talk to. Hugh Ross is a creationist that has beliefs that he feels are 100% Bible and 100% science. There is no conflict between science and the Bible. Ross feels you can use the scientific methoid to study and understand the Bible.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Lucretius said:
I can't believe so many Americans will still buy the Creationism trash. They really lack knowledge of science — because if they didn't; they wouldn't be Creationists.

Theistic Evolution is a creationist theory, are they unscientific? Creationism simply means that you have a creation and thus a creator. YEC is just one of many creationist theorys. You still have the OEC< GAP< TE just to name a few.

Upvote 0

Mechanical Bliss

Secrecy and accountability cannot co-exist.
Nov 3, 2002
A^2
Visit site
✟21,365.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
paulrob said:
Since when were the majority right about anything?

First of all, you need to understand the context of this poll.

Avtoritet kept saying that the majority of people here and Christians worldwide should be YEC because he kept equating YEC to "true" Christianity. The results of the poll showed that he was wrong.

Furthermore, it's ironic for you to directly imply that the majority can never be right (a logical fallacy all on it's own), but then proceed to try to argue from the majority, or largest proportion of the population (U.S. only).

The portion of the article you quoted tried to pull the same bait and switch tactic:

Factual knowledge is not based on: (a) the number of people supporting the claim

[...]

In his article, Quammen bemoaned the fact that there are far too many people who, in his words, “remain unpersuaded about evolution.”

[goes on with statistics about general American publics personal beliefs]

However, there is also an issue of credibility. The article neglects the context of the Gallup polls of the U.S. population who accept evolution segregated by educational background. The higher your level of education, the more likely you are to accept scientific conclusions like evolution and reject pseudoscience like creationism. That has the most meaning out of anything by those polls--that and the demonstration that the American public is greatly uneducated.

It's simply a fact that creationists tend to be uneducated people, especially on the topics relevant (biology, geology, etc.). We see this on the forum where people arguing against science lack even a basic understanding of the sciences they reject. They don't reject science for any reason other than emotion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

paulrob

Apr 5, 2005
✟7,705.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Battie said:
If you believe that, why did you just show us a bunch of numbers claiming that creationists are in the majority?

Just to give you some confort that everyone in the US isn't a creationist;)

In the US "elite" its OK to question the government, but not OK to question Evolution; in the Chinese elite, its OK to question evolution, but not the government.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
paulrob said:
Just to give you some confort that everyone in the US isn't a creationist;)

In the US "elite" its OK to question the government, but not OK to question Evolution; in the Chinese elite, its OK to question evolution, but not the government.

Evolution is questioned everyday. The evidence that could falsify it could be uncovered tommorrow. Scientists continually look at the evidence and measure it for what it is. Why don't creationists spend more time in the lab doing research instead of on the debate and ministry circles if they are so sure that this falsifying evidence exists. Once they find it, that would shut the elite up. Of course, if they spend too much time looking for it, they might not get the answer they want, just as early Christian geologists realized that a young earth and a worldwide flood didn't match the evidence they found when they went looking for it.

Upvote 0

Magnus Vile

Jan 20, 2004
✟11,190.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
notto said:
Why don't creationists spend more time in the lab doing research instead of on the debate and ministry circles if they are so sure that this falsifying evidence exists.

That one is easy. The leaders of the YEC movement are perfectly aware that there is no evidence supporting their arguments. Research would ust make this obvious to those that follow them. They know what they claim isn't supported by the evidence, and that their arguments are based on a series of lies. As is demonstrated by the lists of PRATTs and quote mines, obtained from those leader's organisations, that get posted here every so often.

Basically, if someone believes in YEC because their faith tells them it is true, good for them, have a nice life, enjoy your religion. But if they think they should believe it because the evidence supports it, then they have been lied to, and kept, deliberately, from seeing the evidence that, not only establishes evolution as the single best explaination for bio-diversity, but that utterly crushes the whole YEC 'scientific' position.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Slider1 said:
hmm...one thing to say: (one way or another, it doesnt matter) Repeating something over and over doesn't make it true.

and, I'm a YEC *runs away (edit: with a smile) from evolutionists taking potshots at his kind*

I couldn't agree more.

http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/demise.html

When will YEC's quit repeating such silly things.

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ID/YEC:wave:

If we are mark'd to die, we are enow
To do our cause loss; and if to live,
The fewer men, the greater share of honour.
God's will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
Such outward things dwell not in my desires.
But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.

No, faith, wish not a man more.
God's peace! I would not lose so great an honour
As one man more methinks would share from me
For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!

Rather proclaim it, through the host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put into his purse;
We would not die in that man's company
That fears his fellowship to die with us.

Alright, I think it lacks something of the pathos he had....the martial air is quite lost... maybe if I had a suit of armor.....^_^

Upvote 0