Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There has always been controversy as how many were crucified with Jesus ?

Was it 2 that were crucified with Jesus ?

Or was it four that were Crucified with Jesus ?

Some say 2 and some believe it was 4 ?

What say you ?

dan p
Where does it say 4?

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does it say 4?
It means 2 on the left side and 2 more on the right , for a total 4 plus Jesus , means that there were 5 person crucified that day !!

Many say there were 2 crucified with Jesus , for a total of 3 .

And many say there were 2 crucified on the left and 2 more on the RIGHT side for a total of 5 CRUCIFIED that day !!

dan p

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Unfortunately, religion has defrauded us through harmony of the gospels setting the table for our misunderstanding. This is just one of several events mostly surrounding Christ’s crucifixion that we have been fed through religion that are inaccurate.

Following are the applicable scripture of this account from each gospel. I am starting with Luke ….then Matthew, Mark, and John. The scriptures that I did not post are linked in effort to condense this post …..as they did not add relevant information to the event. My comments are in Red ….The rest…. is what God had written …

As you will see from Luke there were two malefactors (dyo kakourgos) crucified with Jesus and later after an unknown amount of time, two thieves (robbers) (dyo lēstēs) were brought to be put to death.

The KJV has "thieves" which is a horrible translation (many other versions got it right). The Greeks use an entirely different word for a thief which is kleptes…. and it means, one who acts stealthily. The word lēstēs = robber, and that is used throughout this account of the crucifixion. A robber is one who openly plans his dirty work using violence if necessary.

Malefactors - Greek = kakourgos is an evildoer.

Two – Greek = (dyo)

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Luke

23:32
And there were also two other, malefactors (dyo kakourgos), led WITH him to be put to death.

23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.

These two malefactors were led with Him and crucified at the same time that Jesus was crucified.

23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots.

23:35 And the people stood beholding. And the rulers also with them derided him, saying, He saved others; let him save himself, if he be Christ, the chosen of God.

23:36 And the soldiers also mocked him, coming to him, and offering him vinegar,

23:37 And saying, If thou be the king of the Jews, save thyself.

23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

23:39 And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.

23:40 But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?

23:41 And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.

23:42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee today, shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Matthew

27:35
And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.

27:36 And sitting down they watched him there;

27:37 And set up over his head his accusation written, THIS IS JESUS THE KING OF THE JEWS.

27:38
THEN” were there two robbers (dyo lēstēs) crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.

Then = Time (verse 38) were two robbers crucified with Him. This is after Jesus and the two malefactors had been crucified, after sitting down and watching him, after they accusation was placed over his head …..THEN were the two robbers crucified with Him.

27:39 And they that passed by reviled him, wagging their heads,

(Mat 27:40, Mat 27:41, Mat 27:42)

27:43
He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

27:44 The robbers also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

Both of these robbers cast the same in his teeth.

Markbasically states the same thing as Matthew

15:24 And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take.

15:25 And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.

15:26 And the superscription of his accusation was written over, THE KING OF THE JEWS.

15:27 And with him they crucify two robbers; the one on his right hand, and the other on his left.

↓ (Mar 15:28, Mar 15:29, Mar 15:30)

15:31
Likewise also the chief priests mocking said among themselves with the scribes, He saved others; himself he cannot save.

15:32 Let Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

JOHN

19:16
Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away.

19:17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:

19:18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, “on either side” [one], and Jesus in the midst.

The phrase “on either side” (in verse 18) is the Greek words enteuthen kai enteuthen…..It means - on this side, and on that side

NOTE:
The wordONEin verse 18 is omitted in every critical Greek text. it was added by translators. Any Greek-English interlinear will show there is no corresponding Greek word for the word “one”. (a deliberate forgery is a word or words purposely added to change a narrative, to bolster a belief)

The Greek version of John 19:18 reads - Where Him they crucified, and with Him others, two on this side and on that side, in between now Jesus.

19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

( Jhn 19:20……through……… Jhn 19:30)

19:31
The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away.

John 19:32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him.

John 19:33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:

The solders came to the robber first, then to the other, which would be the malefactor…then they came to Jesus.

________________________________________________________________________________
Why God had the gospels written the way they are….and why four crucified …..God only knows. Possibly the perspective of the different aspects of Jesus Christ ministry. Something the prophets of old foretold this in regard to the BRANCH in the OT, which fit with the 4 gospels as such…. Matthew - as King, Mark - as Servant, Luke – as Man and John – as Son of God

I don’t know….just a guess

What I do know is…. there always a significance to the things of God. But the one thing we don’t do is weave together sections of gospels into a single narrative, using our human reasoning to see how they harmonize….that is an attempt to bring God down to our level.

We read through scripture, we see what each gospel adds to the account, we see how it fits ….. We don’t make the similar identical and we don’t dismiss scripture because it doesn’t fit our narrative or assumed belief..... Because every day for Christians….. it is the integrity of the Word of God that we are responsible for.

Someone once told me that this is controversial ….because it goes against what he was taught ….Well, I didn’t author the Book…….. At the end of the day, it’s up to you what you accept. You can hold on to your beliefs or believe what is written.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It means 2 on the left side and 2 more on the right , for a total 4 plus Jesus , means that there were 5 person crucified that day !!

Many say there were 2 crucified with Jesus , for a total of 3 .

And many say there were 2 crucified on the left and 2 more on the RIGHT side for a total of 5 CRUCIFIED that day !!

dan p
Where does it say there were 4? Post the actual scripture passage

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does it say there were 4? Post the actual scripture passage
Many years ago , I was talking to my teacher that translated all of Paul's letters and said that there were 4 JEWS that were crucified with Jesus , and was just thinking to do an OP on that subject .

The book of MARK 15:27 says 2 THIEVES .

Luke 23: 39 calls them MALEFACTOR .

Thieves and Malefactor are 2 different Greek words .

dan p

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sandman
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
0000000000000000000000000000001111111111110000000000000000.jpg

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
It looks as some one has it right !

dan p
This is at Ploubezere near Lannion, in the Cotes-du-Nord, Brittany, known as Les Cinq Croix ("The Five Crosses"). There is a high cross in the center, with four lower ones, two on either side.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think it matters much. Whether it was two or ten, two spoke and that's what's pertinent in my opinion.

I agree and disagree ... What is critical is what Christ went through and what was accomplished.

But God thought it important enough to have it recorded ....and I have to look at all scripture through those eyes also.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟609,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree and disagree ... What is critical is what Christ went through and what was accomplished
But that wasn't affected by whether or not two or four others were crucified alongside Christ.
But God thought it important enough to have it recorded ....and I have to look at all scripture through those eyes also.
I think the dialog of the two who spoke is important.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But that wasn't affected by whether or not two or four others were crucified alongside Christ.

There is dissention as to how many were crucified and 2 Tim 2:15 comes in to play as there are many such problems , as most do not study for them self as it is work ,

I have known of this issue , about 10 years ago and when reading , I remembered about it , and I knew that there would be some , that would disagree .

dan p

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,367.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution

To each his own .... For me, God has a purpose for everything He says ...where He says it, why, how, to whom, and when He says it.

Upvote 0