How many times can a person be a "Prodigal Son" ??

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Will God allow a person to be a "Prodigal Son" 77 times?? I'm referring to Matthew 18:22.

Can a person who has had a roller coaster relationship with Jesus through out their life still be saved on their death bed ??

Example = a person who grew up in a Christian home, but at the same time he experienced and witnessed and participated in many sins through out their life.

Another example= from age 13-40 they lived a very INCONSISTENT lifestyle. Some of those years they tried their best to obey the 10 commandments, but other years they completely ignored God and the 10 commandments .

Can a person like this be saved ???

Was their faith ever genuine ???

Does Matthew 18:22 apply to inconsistent christian's ?

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-​

If a person correctly understands how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. By trusting in The Messiah for Eternal Life. Then they have crossed over from death to life. Never to cross back over. Sin is not an issue in a person when they trust in The Messiah. Jesus took away the sin of the world on the cross, sin was taken out of the way when it comes to what God requires to receive His free gift of Eternal Life.

Sin is a issue believers deal with, by confessing their sins and asking for forgiveness.

So a person can be a prodigal son/daughter endless times.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
-​

If a person correctly understands how to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life. By trusting in The Messiah for Eternal Life. Then they have crossed over from death to life. Never to cross back over. Sin is not an issue in a person when they trust in The Messiah. Jesus took away the sin of the world on the cross, sin was taken out of the way when it comes to what God requires to receive His free gift of Eternal Life.

Sin is a issue believers deal with, by confessing their sins and asking for forgiveness.

So a person can be a prodigal son/daughter endless times.

Does Jesus sacrifice give people a license to sin ?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟962,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even when our sins are forgiven, they can still have consequences down here, like David's adultery with Bathsheba. The "pig pen" is a type for those consequences.

David wrote,
"Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there." Psalms139:7-8 NKJV
The Hard Way, DC Talk (1992)

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Even when our sins are forgiven, they can still have consequences down here, like David's adultery with Bathsheba. The "pig pen" is a type for those consequences.

David wrote,
"Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence?
If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there." Psalms139:7-8 NKJV
The Hard Way, DC Talk (1992)

So what about Christian's who are living in sin now ?? What if they die unexpectedly today or tomorrow???

Will they be saved ?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Does Jesus sacrifice give people a license to sin ?

Well Jesus is not saying ok I have taken away the sin of the world live how ever you want.

But how a believer lives does does not affect their Eternal life, they were given at the moment of their faith in The Messiah. A person can not lose their Eternal Life because of sin. They can lose eternal rewards awarded at the judgment seat of The Messiah because of sin in their life.

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Well Jesus is not saying ok I have taken away the sin of the world live how ever you want.

But how a believer lives does does not affect their Eternal life, they were given at the moment of their faith in The Messiah. A person can not lose their Eternal Life because of sin. They can lose eternal rewards awarded at the judgment seat of The Messiah because of sin in their life.

So I can get drunk every day, smoke weed everyday, watch inappropriate content everyday, live a promiscuous life , curse and swear every day, take God's name in vain every day, and even worship false gods everyday , and I will STILL end up in heaven when I die, just because I acknowledged Jesus is a Savior????

Dang .. . Party time !!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced

I'm VERY interested in how YOU interpret
1 Corinthians 6:9-10

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Hey john. There is a great study on galatians, punch "galatians and the law gcbi" into youtube, youll find a 5 part series on it, VERY helpful to the questions youre asking i think

How do you interpret Galatians 6:7 ???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Br4nd0n

Mar 24, 2017
Canada
✟71,497.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well i thought interpretting Galatians 6:7 with Galatians 6:8 was a legitimate answer, i didnt realize you were looking for a debate. i was just offering a resource initially, by sharing the study on galatians.

Seems pretty staright forward. Sowing to the flesh, earthly desires and possesions lets corruption bloom in the heart, which would, like it states in 5:17, be against the Spirit. And sowing to the Spirit, i imagine would be actions in 5:25, praying, listening, submitting to the Holy Spirit daily, would be santification leading to eternal life. Theres probably limitless nuances to the scripture that i dont see, but God will reveal it one day :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Well i thought interpretting Galatians 6:7 with Galatians 6:8 was a legitimate answer, i didnt realize you were looking for a debate. i was just offering a resource initially, by sharing the study on galatians.

Seems pretty staright forward. Sowing to the flesh, earthly desires and possesions lets corruption bloom in the heart, which would, like it states in 5:17, be against the Spirit. And sowing to the Spirit, i imagine would be actions in 5:25, praying, listening, submitting to the Holy Spirit daily, would be santification leading to eternal life. Theres probably limitless nuances to the scripture that i dont see, but God will reveal it one day :)

I don't understand anything you just said..

It's like your beating around the bush.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Will God allow a person to be a "Prodigal Son" 77 times?? I'm referring to Matthew 18:22.

Can a person who has had a roller coaster relationship with Jesus through out their life still be saved on their death bed ??

Example = a person who grew up in a Christian home, but at the same time he experienced and witnessed and participated in many sins through out their life.

Another example= from age 13-40 they lived a very INCONSISTENT lifestyle. Some of those years they tried their best to obey the 10 commandments, but other years they completely ignored God and the 10 commandments .

The simple answer is definitely Yes, people can be saved even if their behaviour is inconsistent. Either a person is born again or they are not. Christians can and do backslide. They have the worst of both worlds. They have no joy in their salvation and they don't fit in the world either. Satan hammers the backslider and they get no help from God.

Most Christians go through a period of spiritual drought. It's not necessary but complacency, spiritual pride, laziness and carelessness are enemies of faith. Often, Christians must learn the hard way.

Don't get salvation confused with Kingdom rewards. Some will enter heaven with nothing to show for their Christian lives. Others will be granted the greatest honours and blessings. And some will be somewhere between those extremes. Some live for themselves and their rewards are in this life. I suspect that many "prosperity" preachers will find this out. Others give up everything to follow Jesus and they will be rewarded appropriately.

We get one life to set us up for eternity. This works both for saints and sinners. Sinners pile up judgement for themselves. Saints store up heavenly treasures to be enjoyed in the next life.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

There is no limit to the number of times Jesus will forgive sins.

Upvote 0

johnjanuary1984

Feb 15, 2022
Wisconsin
✟8,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
So I have nothing to worry about?

I can keep on getting drunk ? I can keep on smoking weed? I can keep on looking for a woman to casual sex with ???

I can do whatever I want??? Because I will never go to hell, since I acknowledged Christ's existence ???

Upvote 0