How many published authors are on this forum?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the compliment, but I would never succeed in academia. I'm too truthful and moody, and to be in academia you have to lie a lot and keep everyone happy. It wouldn't work. Plus, I hate how secular it is. Everything in my life, no matter how small, is in some way about God, and when you view things that way, academia has no idea what to do with you. You can go to a cloister in the mountains or something like that, but universities like people who are "open minded." ;)
Well, maybe you could try a seminary whose ethos you appreciated, for a PhD (Assuming you're okay with the idea of women at seminary! :) )

In the end the person needs the drive and inner determination to start, pursue and finish the PhD.

But then of course there is the time commitment; and ppl can have drive and determination but choose to put their time elsewhere: family, church, etc., right?

Blessings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the compliment, but I would never succeed in academia. I'm too truthful and moody, and to be in academia you have to lie a lot and keep everyone happy. It wouldn't work. Plus, I hate how secular it is. Everything in my life, no matter how small, is in some way about God, and when you view things that way, academia has no idea what to do with you. You can go to a cloister in the mountains or something like that, but universities like people who are "open minded." ;)

Pam,

On the homepage of Baker Publishing Group (Christian publishers), there is this statement for authors:
Submission Policy

Baker Books, Bethany House, and Revell do not accept unsolicited manuscripts (manuscripts we did not request). Therefore, we assume no responsibility for unsolicited manuscripts submitted to our publishing house.

We will consider unsolicited work only through one of the following avenues. Materials sent to our editorial staff through a professional literary agent will be considered. In addition, our staff attends various writers' conferences at which prospective authors can develop relationships with those in the publishing industry.

You may also submit your work to one or both of the manuscript submission services Authonomy.com and Christian Manuscript Submissions, an online service of the Evangelical Christian Publishers' Association. These organizations serve as liaisons between publishers and prospective authors. You may contact them at the addresses given below.

Authonomy.com
http://www.authonomy.com/christian

ChristianManuscriptSubmissions.com
www.christianmanuscriptsubmissions.com

info@christianmanuscriptsubmissions.com

Those interested in submitting a proposal to Baker Academic may read more here. Those interested in Brazos Press may read more here. Those interested in Chosen Books may read more here.

We wish you the best in your search for a publisher and appreciate your interest in Baker Publishing Group.
The link gives an error message at:

Have you gone down this route and had a major Christian publisher pursue you for the possibility of publication? I've just completed my dissertation-only PhD in New Testament and am considering this as a starter. One of my examiners is encouraging me to publish.

I'm interested if you or any others have tried this approach. My contact with an author who published with a major publisher said it costs thousands of dollars. If so, I'm not in that league and could not afford it.

In Christ,
Oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
HarperCollins' authonomy is set to close at the end of this month (September 2015). The web presence may already have been removed.

Thanks Sepia. Since the Authonomy link gives an error reading, I presume the web presence is already closed.

Have you made a book submission through www.christianmanuscriptsubmissions.com

On another issue: Have you read the New York Times article, 'The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip, and Print Is Far From Dead' (22 September 2015)? Does this have any impact on writers?

Oz

Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
On another issue: Have you read the New York Times article, 'The Plot Twist: E-Book Sales Slip, and Print Is Far From Dead' (22 September 2015)? Does this have any impact on writers?

I don't see why it should. Writers should concentrate on producing good, quality stories. The physical medium doesn't really matter, as long as it's appropriate for the tale being told.

Still though, a working knowledge of market practices comes in handy, especially when dealing with new technology.

Upvote 0

Pammalamma

Mom and minister's wife in Pflugerville Texas
Jun 2, 2015
Pflugerville, Texas
Visit site
✟8,248.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Pam,

On the homepage of Baker Publishing Group (Christian publishers), there is this statement for authors:

The link gives an error message at:

Have you gone down this route and had a major Christian publisher pursue you for the possibility of publication? I've just completed my dissertation-only PhD in New Testament and am considering this as a starter. One of my examiners is encouraging me to publish.

I'm interested if you or any others have tried this approach. My contact with an author who published with a major publisher said it costs thousands of dollars. If so, I'm not in that league and could not afford it.

In Christ,
Oz
No, I have not contacted a publisher, because I have heard a lot of bad things about going that route, mainly that it is difficult to get published, and then even if you do, you tend to lose creative control, and make very little money.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have been, but not on a grand scale. I was published in Highlights Magazine three times as a little kid. I don't think anyone else would ever be impressed by that, but my parents were at the time, haha. My high school has a literary journal and I wrote short stories and poems for it. I was also published in a teen magazine.

The church I used to attend has a special ministry for musicians, and we love sharing the songs we're written with one another. Some of my older friends who are professional musicians wanted to perform my songs on their albums. That kinda sorta maybe counts as being published.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
No, I have not contacted a publisher, because I have heard a lot of bad things about going that route, mainly that it is difficult to get published, and then even if you do, you tend to lose creative control, and make very little money.

Pammal,

Does that mean you would not recommend going down the path of providing the details of an overview of the book and the first chapter to ChristianManuscriptSubmissions.com?

Since you are planning to self publish, are you free to share the details of who does the design and printing for such a publication? Do you work through Amazon's Create Space Publishing?

I guess I've resigned myself to the fact that in academic/Christian publishing there is not money to be made.

Oz

Upvote 0

brainstormer

Dec 31, 2010
✟15,095.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I write the books at Telical Books. I just wrote a book on revival last year. I would like to start shopping manuscripts to publishers. I don't really feel inferior, because there are low quality books being published by big publishing houses. A lot of famous authors were self-published.

Upvote 0

*LILAC

Supporter
Jan 22, 2005
✟450,855.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't written an entire book but I did submit a summary of life (as it was then) with our autistic son. I then received an email that my story was chosen for the collection of stories from several different families with special needs as well! I'd actually completely forgotten that I even submitted it because, well, life was so super busy and I really had poor-ish memory at that time. Not until about 7-8 months later that I received another email and then about a month later, a free copy of the book in the mail! So I guess that makes me a published author? :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟238,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wonder how successful an online blog must be before agents or publishers would take notice and offer someone a deal? I know the woman over at Hyperbole and a Half had this happen to her, but she was getting tons of hits a month. Just curious.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
anyone making any money as an author?

I am looking for a co-author who will quote some of what I have written
and turn it into a platform to perhaps alter the world economy.

Is God infinitely ancient?

Did God exist from infinite time in the past?

If so.... what was God doing?

There is a saying that "It's the economy s.....!" This question actually
has a relationship with the economy and money because...... .if.....
God existed from eternity in the past and if God..........
actually planned, engineered and choreographed an essentially infinite
number of Big Bang type events......(they might actually might have been more
like a Big Flash though)...... .then..... investing infinite time in the past in the
creation........ could make the creation infinitely valuable to God.......
but we humans are so young...... that we place relatively low value on our
lives and even less value on the lives of others...... and even less value than that
on the lives of animals, birds, fish and plants.

scroll down to post #7 to see just how serious this topic really is.....

Upvote 0