narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Laying aside all of the he said/she said quotes from people who were born long after the fact, lets stick strictly with the scriptures that was written by those who were eye witnesses, who lived "on site" with Mary, Joseph and Jesus.
And please let's remember that those eye witnesses are the same ones who asked "Is this not the carpenter's son"? Their perspective was that Joseph was the biological father of Jesus, which means their perspective would also be that any biological children of Joseph would be the brothers of Jesus.

That said, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that everything boils down to the interpretation of the Greek word "Adelphos", which is translated "brothers" our English Bibles.
Actually there's a lot more to it than that.

According to Thayer's Greek Lexicon Adelphos means:
a brother (whether born of the same two parents, or only of the same father or the same mother): Matthew 1:2; Matthew 4:18, and often. That 'the brethren of Jesus,' Matthew 12:46, 47 (but WH only in marginal reading); f; Mark 6:3 (in the last two passages also sisters); Luke 8:19; John 2:12; John 7:3; Acts 1:14; Galatians 1:19; 1 Corinthians 9:5, are neither sons of Joseph by a wife married before Mary (which is the account in the Apocryphal Gospels (cf. Thilo, Cod. Apocr. N. T. i. 362f)), nor cousins, the children of Alphaeus or Cleophas (i. e. Clopas) and Mary a sister of the mother of Jesus (the current opinion among the doctors of the church since Jerome and Augustine (cf. Lightfoot's Commentary on Galatians, diss. ii.)), according to that use of language by which ἀδελφός like the Hebrew אָח denotes any blood-relation or kinsman (Genesis 14:16; 1 Samuel 20:29; 2 Kings 10:13; 1 Chronicles 23:2, etc.), but own brothers, born after Jesus, is clear principally from Matthew 1:25 (only in R G); Luke 2:7 — where, had Mary borne no other children after Jesus, instead of υἱόν πρωτότοκον, the expression υἱόν μονογενῆ would have been used, as well as from Acts 1:14, cf. John 7:5, where the Lord's brethren are distinguished from the apostles. See further on this point under Ἰάκωβος, 3. (Cf. B. D. under the word ; Andrews, Life of our Lord, pp. 104-116; Bib. Sacr. for 1864, pp. 855-869; for 1869, pp. 745-758; Laurent, N. T. Studien, pp. 153-193; McClellan, note on Matthew 13:55.)

Thayer clearly makes a convincing argument that James, Jude...etc...etc are indeed the sons of Mary. Adelphos meaning either full blood brothers, or step-brothers there can be no other conclusion.
Then why does the Greek Septuagint (which was used by the apostles) use the term adelphos to denote uncle/nephew relationships and mother/daughter relationships?

The argument that Joseph was married to someone else [too] has its own problems.
1. This is demeaning to Mary. Ask any women if being the only wife is more of an honor, or being one of many wives is more of an honor.
2. If these brothers of Jesus was indeed Joseph's sons, and not Mary's, then Joseph must have been the blood Father of Jesus, which we know is not the case. Jesus' Father, biologically is God. Therefore, "adelphos", would not have been used.
3. There is no scriptural evidence of this even in the slightest.
#1 -- being the second wife of a widowed man is in no way demeaning.
#2 -- as I just mentioned, the testimony of the 'eye witnesses' you are so intent on citing thought that Jesus was the biological son of Joseph. They said 'IS THIS NOT THE CARPENTER'S SON"?
#3 -- There is Scriptural evidence that supports Mary's being a perpetual virgin; there is no explicit statement either way. I have no problem with those who claim that from Scripture alone, we cannot know the status of Mary's perpetual virginity, either way.

Bottom line: If there is anyone who thinks that "adelphos" can be clearly, and unequivocally applied to mean that Mary had no other children, then please show me some scriptures, using "adelphos" is this manner, where it does not imply blood relation from at least one bio parent. As you know, the only way Jesus can be blood related to anyone is through Mary. as Joseph wasn't his bio father, and therefore "adelphos" would not be used as Thayer stated.
No one has ever used the term to mean that Mary had no other children. It is simply incorrect to use the term to prove that Mary did have other children.

Reference the Greek Septuagint Genesis 14:14, Genesis 29:15 for starters.

Also, every time Paul refers to the 'brethren' -- people with no biological relationship at all -- this is also "adelphos".

This is not to mention the scriptures that clearly state that Joseph "knew" Mary after Jesus was born. Any scholar that denies that this means sex is in fact in denial himself. All throughout scripture when a man "knew" and woman (especially his wife) it means sex.

Anything else, in my opinion, is denial.

No disagreement on what it means for a man to 'know' a woman. Your issue is with an understanding of the English word 'until'. It's an odd word. It only means that a certain condition exists up to a specific point in time. It makes no statement about what happens afterwards.

People however, will assume a change of state if they think that's logical. They will not assume a change of state if that doesn't make sense to them, and will give it no conscious thought one way or the other that sometimes they assume a change of state happened and other times will assume it did not. Since normally people do consumate a marriage, people assume from this statement that Mary and Joseph did. Scripture doesn't state one way or the other.

Which is why the contradiction lies with those who claim to go by "Scripture alone" yet assert that Mary did indeed have other children. So much for being silent where Scripture is silent...

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟333,311.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What amazes me, is that you claim to be against people who take mariology "too far" and "worship" Mary, and yet yourself become just as rigidly dogmatic in your insistance that the Mother of God herself coupled with Joseph and had lots and lots of babies. For someone criticizing the emphasis others put on the Mother of God and the saints, you sure seem just as intent on this as anyone else.

O Virgin Pure-Orthodox Byantine Chant - YouTube

It's because Mary is not really the issue you know. It's the authority of the church people have issues with. Bottom line, it always comes down to that.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pointing out for the 892,239,023rd time that St. Jerome refuted the vast majority of the objections to the perpetual virginity of the Mother of God that are still repeated ad naseum today.

The Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary

It's a good read. He stumbles and sputters, however, as he posits his cousin theory.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And please let's remember that those eye witnesses are the same ones who asked "Is this not the carpenter's son"? Their perspective was that Joseph was the biological father of Jesus, which means their perspective would also be that any biological children of Joseph would be the brothers of Jesus.

-snip-

Exactly.

Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
✟7,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am open to believe that Mary remained a virgin all her life, if that is indeed the truth.

Please understand where I come from. Hold your offense! Please hear me out. I see so many people twisting the interpretations and definitions of the scripture to fit their lifestyles and/or belief systems. In fact, I used to be one of them.

** For example: 20+ years ago I used to be a heavy drug user (street drugs). I used scriptures, as many people do, to justify my lifestyle. I used to teach and believe that God endorsed drug use. Now I know that drug use is absolutely and completely demonic.

**The homosexual crowd twist interpretations and definitions of the scripture to "prove" that God endorses such behavior.

** Some of our dear pentecostal brothers twist interpretations and definitions to "prove" that if you don't speak in tongues you do not have the Holy Spirit.

** Cult leaders throughout the ages have twisted the scriptures and the interpretation thereof to "support" their theology, no matter how evil and/or wrong it may be.

**Feminist extremists declare God to be a female based upon their interpretation of the scripture.

**Harold Camping through his own interpretation of the scriptures said that judgment day would come May 21, 2011. I vehemently opposed it. I even made a Youtube video opposing this view, simply because the scriptures clearly say that nobody knows the day or the hour. I even went to the point of "guaranteeing" that Jesus wouldn't come back on that date based upon the scriptures that Jesus said it will be a time when you "think not" that He will come.
Even after the day came and went Camping remained steady in his belief declaring that judgment day did come that day, it just was a "spiritual" judgment. After a while Camping finally admitted he was wrong... but it took a while!

I just want to make [double] sure that is not what is happening with the doctrine of the EV of Mary.

Its amazing how far people go to re-define or re-interpret scripture to defend their lifestyle or theological position! Its amazing how many people decide to believe falsehood, even when the truth stares them in the face! But that is human nature, I guess. Defending falsehood till the end.

As followers of Jesus, we need to be honest with ourselves, and with one another. I am openly and honestly sharing what I perceive, and I expect the same from others in this thread.

I wouldn't go as far as to look into third-party extra-biblical definitions of "adelphos". The greatest proof lies in how the word was used in other scripture passages - that way we keep it in context, without bringing extracurricular definitions. This is the greatest proof.
If for example, "adelphos", was never clearly used in other portions of scripture to mean cousins or non-biological parental relations, then we can safely conclude that "adelphos" should be interpreted to mean a son of at least one biological parent.

Let me put it this way: If the scriptures say that John the Baptist is the "adelphos" of Jesus, then we know for sure that "adelphos" is used for cousins, not just blood brothers.

[let be honest now] Otherwise, the EV of Mary is just another "belief" that falls into the same category as the groups I listed above.

As I stated above, I am open to believe that Mary remained a virgin all her life, if that is indeed the truth. However, as it stands now I see a lot more evidence that is contrary to the EV teachings.

I have been through court several times in my life. Recently I was in a case where I was the plaintiff. The defendant got herself the best lawyer in the area. People told me that I'm crazy. I even had someone stop me on the street and tell me that I am going to lose... with a list of reasons. Apparently, the defendants lawyer told her that she would win beyond a shadow of a doubt. The case was hotly contested, and fought tooth and nail to the end.
In the end, despite the fact that I had no lawyer to represent me in court, I won the case with flying colors! The defendant didn't get anything she was asking for.
Having that on my resume, I dare say I have a little bit of an idea about evidence. I have a slight bit of an idea what kind of evidence is solid, and what kind is not.... and in spite of the "he said"/"she said" arguments of old saints or old scholars who are proponents of the EV, it just doesn't hold water. Honestly.

But I'm always open to reconsider my position if I am presented with credible, reasonable, factual evidence that outweighs the clear teaching of scripture.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
✟7,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What amazes me, is that you claim to be against people who take mariology "too far" and "worship" Mary, and yet yourself become just as rigidly dogmatic in your insistance that the Mother of God herself coupled with Joseph and had lots and lots of babies. For someone criticizing the emphasis others put on the Mother of God and the saints, you sure seem just as intent on this as anyone else.

O Virgin Pure-Orthodox Byantine Chant - YouTube

You are completely missing my point. I am saying that some people go too far in worshiping Mary. I am not judging anyone for their rigid adherance to their beliefs. The day is coming when they will have to give an account to God if they are wrong. I am saying that the worship of Mary is indeed going too far. And every Christian should agree as we are commanded not to worship anyone but God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Mary had human (sinful) parents which would obviously exclude her from being God!

You are focusing on the phrase "too far", I am focusing on the phrase "worship Mary". You are comparing apples to oranges. The argument is not whether or not someone is being rigid in their beliefs, rather it is the worship of someone that God strictly forbids to worship.

Some Indians do not bath because they believe that should should not kill anything, including bacteria. I say they are going too far.
Wouldn't it be absurd if they told me that I'm going too far by rigidly opposing their believes? ... yet that is what you are doing.

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So are the 'eye witnesses' correct about Jesus being the carpenter's son?

We both know the answer to that. But that's the point. They didn't believe the virgin conceived by the Spirit, but, like the brothers, from Joseph/Mary.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

I am open to believe that Mary remained a virgin all her life, if that is indeed the truth.

Please understand where I come from. Hold your offense! Please hear me out. I see so many people twisting the interpretations and definitions of the scripture to fit their lifestyles and/or belief systems. In fact, I used to be one of them.

** For example: 20+ years ago I used to be a heavy drug user (street drugs). I used scriptures, as many people do, to justify my lifestyle. I used to teach and believe that God endorsed drug use. Now I know that drug use is absolutely and completely demonic.

**The homosexual crowd twist interpretations and definitions of the scripture to "prove" that God endorses such behavior.

** Some of our dear pentecostal brothers twist interpretations and definitions to "prove" that if you don't speak in tongues you do not have the Holy Spirit.

** Cult leaders throughout the ages have twisted the scriptures and the interpretation thereof to "support" their theology, no matter how evil and/or wrong it may be.

**Feminist extremists declare God to be a female based upon their interpretation of the scripture.

**Harold Camping through his own interpretation of the scriptures said that judgment day would come May 21, 2011. I vehemently opposed it. I even made a Youtube video opposing this view, simply because the scriptures clearly say that nobody knows the day or the hour. I even went to the point of "guaranteeing" that Jesus wouldn't come back on that date based upon the scriptures that Jesus said it will be a time when you "think not" that He will come.
Even after the day came and went Camping remained steady in his belief declaring that judgment day did come that day, it just was a "spiritual" judgment. After a while Camping finally admitted he was wrong... but it took a while!

I just want to make [double] sure that is not what is happening with the doctrine of the EV of Mary.

Its amazing how far people go to re-define or re-interpret scripture to defend their lifestyle or theological position! Its amazing how many people decide to believe falsehood, even when the truth stares them in the face! But that is human nature, I guess. Defending falsehood till the end.

As followers of Jesus, we need to be honest with ourselves, and with one another. I am openly and honestly sharing what I perceive, and I expect the same from others in this thread.

I wouldn't go as far as to look into third-party extra-biblical definitions of "adelphos". The greatest proof lies in how the word was used in other scripture passages - that way we keep it in context, without bringing extracurricular definitions. This is the greatest proof.
If for example, "adelphos", was never clearly used in other portions of scripture to mean cousins or non-biological parental relations, then we can safely conclude that "adelphos" should be interpreted to mean a son of at least one biological parent.

Let me put it this way: If the scriptures say that John the Baptist is the "adelphos" of Jesus, then we know for sure that "adelphos" is used for cousins, not just blood brothers.

[let be honest now] Otherwise, the EV of Mary is just another "belief" that falls into the same category as the groups I listed above.

As I stated above, I am open to believe that Mary remained a virgin all her life, if that is indeed the truth. However, as it stands now I see a lot more evidence that is contrary to the EV teachings.

I have been through court several times in my life. Recently I was in a case where I was the plaintiff. The defendant got herself the best lawyer in the area. People told me that I'm crazy. I even had someone stop me on the street and tell me that I am going to lose... with a list of reasons. Apparently, the defendants lawyer told her that she would win beyond a shadow of a doubt. The case was hotly contested, and fought tooth and nail to the end.
In the end, despite the fact that I had no lawyer to represent me in court, I won the case with flying colors! The defendant didn't get anything she was asking for.
Having that on my resume, I dare say I have a little bit of an idea about evidence. I have a slight bit of an idea what kind of evidence is solid, and what kind is not.... and in spite of the "he said"/"she said" arguments of old saints or old scholars who are proponents of the EV, it just doesn't hold water. Honestly.

But I'm always open to reconsider my position if I am presented with credible, reasonable, factual evidence that outweighs the clear teaching of scripture.

What a life journey, and what a lovely dedication ...

glory to Christ +

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

The term "adelphos" is used in the Greek OT (the oldest extant versions of the OT are in Greek) for cousin, and kin (biological, spiritual, tribal, ethnicity) of all sorts.

As the term adelphos in Greek is quite fluid, it is not easily read as full biological sibling.

I have only seen the term adelphos used for some relationship through a male.
(And would be pleased to hear if someone has found any Scriptural usage where an adelphos is only related through a female.)

It should also be noted that in the NT, Mary is only referred to as the betrothed woman of Joseph. She and Joseph are never referred to as "gamew", the term for full marriage.

In fact, in the 1 Corinthians 7 verses Narnia posted, the word there for "marry" is gamew, indicating sexual relations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are completely missing my point. I am saying that some people go too far in worshiping Mary. I am not judging anyone for their rigid adherance to their beliefs. The day is coming when they will have to give an account to God if they are wrong. I am saying that the worship of Mary is indeed going too far. And every Christian should agree as we are commanded not to worship anyone but God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Mary had human (sinful) parents which would obviously exclude her from being God!

You are focusing on the phrase "too far", I am focusing on the phrase "worship Mary". You are comparing apples to oranges. The argument is not whether or not someone is being rigid in their beliefs, rather it is the worship of someone that God strictly forbids to worship.

Some Indians do not bath because they believe that should should not kill anything, including bacteria. I say they are going too far.
Wouldn't it be absurd if they told me that I'm going too far by rigidly opposing their believes? ... yet that is what you are doing.
So what church teaches that Mary is worthy of adoration?

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You got it (poster above).

At that time, there were only 2 interpretations of the brothers of Jesus.

1) Sons of Joseph/Mary (scripture/tradition)
2) Sons of Joseph/previous wife (Protoevangelium of James)

c400 Jerome invented the cousin theory, as the PoJ was banned as heresy. Priests/bishops were aghast, as you mention, that Joseph could have been married with children before Mary! Sensibilities run amok. Scandal. Then it became:

1) Sons of Joseph/Mary (scripture/tradition)
2) erroneous, banned, heretical
3) Cousins (Jerome)

Today RC typically picks the cousin theory, while EO reinstates the previous wife theory to explain the brothers.
Actually there was only two traditions from early on:

1) cousins
2) children of Joseph from previous marriage.

The interpretation of these passages have never been that these are biological children of Mary until the Radicals in the 15th century. Before the 15th century there was only one person in the 5th that questioned tradition and he was handled handedly by St. Jerome.

Oh and by the way the cousin view was not created by Jerome as St. Augustine also held this view.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
✟7,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The term "adelphos" is used in the Greek OT (the oldest extant versions of the OT are in Greek) for cousin, and kin (biological, spiritual, tribal, ethnicity) of all sorts.

As the term adelphos in Greek is quite fluid, it is not easily read as full biological sibling.

I have only seen the term adelphos used for some relationship through a male.
(And would be pleased to hear if someone has found any Scriptural usage where an adelphos is only related through a female.)

It should also be noted that in the NT, Mary is only referred to as the betrothed woman of Joseph. She and Joseph are never referred to as "gamew", the term for full marriage.

In fact, in the 1 Corinthians 7 verses Narnia posted, the word there for "marry" is gamew, indicating sexual relations.

Would you please let me know what passage adelphos is found in the Greek OT that clearly means cousins?

Regarding Mary being only betrothed, without marriage. Please forgive my frankness of speech, but that just seems to be a play on words. Explicitly speaking, the scriptures do say that Mary was betrothed. But not everything has to be spoken explicitly to make it true.

Please let me explain: My sister is bad for this. If I ask her to do anything for me I have to explicitly mention every detail. If not she won't do it. For example, lets say I ask her to go to the store for me and get a dozen eggs. Before she leaves I hand her a coupon for 50 cents off of Brand A eggs. I tell her to get Brand A, and I give her the coupon for that specific item.
She comes back with Brand A eggs, but she didn't use the coupon. Why? Because I didn't ask her to use the coupn. I unconsciously assumed that she would put two and two together and figure that the reason I asked for Brand A eggs, and gave her the coupon, she would automatically know that I want her to use the coupon.
This kind of thing happened so many times. If I give her any instructions I must remember to give her explicit details, otherwise two and two just won't make four!
I sarcastically think to myself that I should tell her to make sure she is breathing when running the errand, otherwise it may not be done. No, it's not that bad, but you get my point.

Having said that, putting two and two together regarding the scriptural account of Mary means she got married. How do I figure?
1. She is betrothed.
2. The Angel of the Lord said to Joseph, "Do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife!"
Notice the angel didn't say, "Don't marry her. She is to remain a virgin forever!".
On the contrary, God gave Joseph the "green light" to marry Mary.
3. It explicitly says that Joseph waited until Mary gave birth to Jesus before he "knew her" - obviously referring to sex.

Its as clear as a bell to me. Joseph had sex with her after she gave birth to Jesus. So then, if Joseph never got married to her, then we have a big problem!

No, it doesn't explicitly state that she got married, but put two and two together and there you have it - marriage. Pretty obvious to me!

Some people might say that Mary never died because the scriptures don't say she died... or some stupid thing like that. But obviously, Mary is a human, and as a human she died. Point is - just because it is not explicitly stated doesn't mean it didn't happen.

But honestly, what is wrong with Mary having sex with Joseph and having a family as every blessed couple do? What's the problem with that? I don't get it.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We both know the answer to that. But that's the point. They didn't believe the virgin conceived by the Spirit, but, like the brothers, from Joseph/Mary.

And this is the reason why Mary's perpetual virginity was such an important witness to our Lord Jesus' true parentage. Mary bearing other children would make Jesus' miraculous birth moot.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would you please let me know what passage adelphos is found in the Greek OT that clearly means cousins?

Regarding Mary being only betrothed, without marriage. Please forgive my frankness of speech, but that just seems to be a play on words. Explicitly speaking, the scriptures do say that Mary was betrothed. But not everything has to be spoken explicitly to make it true.

Please let me explain: My sister is bad for this. If I ask her to do anything for me I have to explicitly mention every detail. If not she won't do it. For example, lets say I ask her to go to the store for me and get a dozen eggs. Before she leaves I hand her a coupon for 50 cents off of Brand A eggs. I tell her to get Brand A, and I give her the coupon for that specific item.
She comes back with Brand A eggs, but she didn't use the coupon. Why? Because I didn't ask her to use the coupn. I unconsciously assumed that she would put two and two together and figure that the reason I asked for Brand A eggs, and gave her the coupon, she would automatically know that I want her to use the coupon.
This kind of thing happened so many times. If I give her any instructions I must remember to give her explicit details, otherwise two and two just won't make four!
I sarcastically think to myself that I should tell her to make sure she is breathing when running the errand, otherwise it may not be done. No, it's not that bad, but you get my point.

Having said that, putting two and two together regarding the scriptural account of Mary means she got married. How do I figure?
1. She is betrothed.
2. The Angel of the Lord said to Joseph, "Do not be afraid to take Mary as your wife!"
Notice the angel didn't say, "Don't marry her. She is to remain a virgin forever!".
3. It explicitly says that Joseph waited until Mary gave birth to Jesus before he "knew her" - obviously referring to sex.

Its as clear as a bell to me. Joseph had sex with her after she gave birth to Jesus. So then, if Joseph never got married to her, then we have a big problem!

No, it doesn't explicitly state that she got married, but put two and two together and there you have it - marriage. Pretty obvious to me!

Some people might say that Mary never died because the scriptures don't say she died... or some stupid thing like that. But obviously, Mary is a human, and as a human she died. Point is - just because it is not explicitly stated doesn't mean it didn't happen.

But honestly, what is wrong with Mary having sex with Joseph and having a family as every blessed couple do? What's the problem with that? I don't get it.
Jewish marriage does require consummation to be valid. Jewish marriage is a contract. You are right they being betroth actually means that they were married already. Jewish betrothal is not the same as what we understand engagement means. Joseph and Mary were already married. In fact during this time sexual intercource is accepted behavior.

The most interesting quote from Scripture is Mary's response to the angel. "How can this be since I know not man?" There is only two conclusions one can come up with from this response:

1) Being betroth and knowing what normally happens in a marriage she was not going to have a normal marriage, I.e. remain a virgin.
2) Mary was the most naive woman to ever be born.

So you believe Mary is just stupid or she and Joseph had a very unique marriage. I would say their family is the most unique in history.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And this is the reason why Mary's perpetual virginity was such an important witness to our Lord Jesus' true parentage. Mary bearing other children would make Jesus' miraculous birth moot.

Her bearing other children proved the point of Jesus' humanity. Her conceiving as a virgin proved the OT prophecy (God-with-us).

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually there was only two traditions from early on:

1) cousins
2) children of Joseph from previous marriage.

The interpretation of these passages have never been that these are biological children of Mary until the Radicals in the 15th century. Before the 15th century there was only one person in the 5th that questioned tradition and he was handled handedly by St. Jerome.

Oh and by the way the cousin view was not created by Jerome as St. Augustine also held this view.

Cyril the bishop who was of the same apostolic succession in Jerusalem from James brother of the Lord kept the same oral/written tradition.

And then there's Tertullian, Origen, Clement of Alexandria, Africanus, and the chap you mentioned. There's probably others if we bothered to look.

PS

1) c400ad cousin theory
2) c150 sons of Joseph/previous wife
3) c50 sons of Joseph/Mary

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Her bearing other children proved the point of Jesus' humanity. Her conceiving as a virgin proved the OT prophecy (God-with-us).

And if she had other children would show that Jesus was not who it was claimed that He was. Like I said there would be no evidence of the miraculous birth. Jesus would only be a man.

Upvote 0

Erose

Jul 2, 2010
✟67,781.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cyril the bishop who was of the same apostolic succession in Jerusalem from James brother of the Lord kept the same oral/written tradition.

And then there's Tertullian, Origen, Clement of Alexandria, Africanus, and the chap you mentioned. There's probably others if we bothered to look.

PS

1) c400ad cousin theory
2) c150 sons of Joseph/previous wife
3) c50 sons of Joseph/Mary
St James being the brother of The Lord is not evidence that they were biological siblings. St. James was one of the apostles whose brothers included St. Jude, Joseph, and Simeon, who were all children of Mary of Cleopas, the sister of our Blessed Mother.

Your smoking gun would be if there is someone that was professed to be the child of Mary. In fact I would be very confident to say that no other person in the entire record we have is called the son (or daughter) of the Virgin Mary. If you have this one bit of evidence, I would say you won the argument. Until that point you are someone accepting a theory that started in the 15th century with some of the preachers of the anabaptists.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

1 Chr 23: 21-22 (the adelphos are biological cousins)

Indeed, but if the Scripture is to indicate full marriage the term gamew would be the word choice to indicate this state.

Some people are more literal or concrete thinkers than others, who tend to a different focus in their use and interpretation. (And sometimes, this sort of concreteness can be used with other motives :))
1. She is betrothed.
That is clearly stated, yes. The term used is mnusteuw - betrothed.
The word here translated as wife just means "woman"; it is also used for any female beyond the age of childhood including single women and widows.
Nor does it say to marry (gamew) her.
On this point, there is no statement in Scripture to indicate that they ever married.
The use of the word ews/while/until never refers to what happens after the time span referred to by the term. We only know there has been a "change of condition" when we are given further information that states the condition has changed. There are numerous passages in the OT and NT using "ews" where the condition is permanent (does not change).
The passage in this case is purposed with establishing a clear virgin conception - leaving us with no doubt about the parentage of Christ.

But Scripture never says they marry, so how do you come to a conclusion not present in Scripture ?

On the other hand, if you read the Scripture in Greek knowing:
1. there are distinct terms for betrothal and marriage and the term for marriage is never used for Joseph and Mary
2. the terms translated as wife and husband actually mean woman and man, and are used for any adult regardless of marital status and also as a general term of address (Christ uses the term yuni when referring to Mary and other women)
3. the term ews does not imply a change unless we are given further information that the condition changed, and we are given no such information in reference to Joseph and Mary
4. the term adelphos can refer to any number of relationships, and is as easily used for those of the same nation (Paul calls the Jews his adelphos, the stepbrothers Herod and Phillip are called adelphos, Lot and his uncle Abraham are called adelphos, Joseph's brothers are all referred to as his adelphos but only Benjamin and he share the same mother, adelphos can also mean like-minded, of the same tribe, spiritual brethren, and in Greek literature has other meanings, including spouse).

Coming from a different language mindset, and knowing this information, do you think you would necessarily reach the same conclusion that you have ?

How does Scripture support your conclusion ?
Or is this something you have inferred or heard that seems to be reflected in the translation ?

Consider, there are very few examples from the early centuries of people claiming that Joseph and Mary were gamew - and these were denounced as heretics.

In fact, according to what is extent of the writings of the pagan detractor of Christianity Celsus (2cnd c. AD) the Jews state that Mary had only one child - Jesus. Though Celsus, citing the Jews, refutes that Jesus is the Son of God, he also does not claim that Joseph was the father, nor that Mary had other children. This is instructive, as to make a claim that was easily refuted by common knowledge would undermine his entire argument. So he does not claim, nor do his Jewish sources, that Mary had other children.

Sure, but a straight reading of the Gospels and historical sources leaves little if any support for the claim that Joseph and Mary were gamew.
There is other Scriptural information -- for example, if Mary had other children there was no reason for Christ to leave her in the care of John.

If they weren't married, the problem is obvious.

But the other question is - why should Mary necessarily have had other children ?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.