How Many Non-Catholics Understand what goes on in the Confessional?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You get born of water when your mom's water break that's what Jesus mean , then you need to be born of Spirit .

If so, how are we to unerstand John 3:23?

Now John also was baptizing at Aenon near Salim, because there was plenty of water, and people were coming and being baptized.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
John was baptising for repentance to prepare way for Messiah , when Jesus resurrected and was given the power he send Holy Ghost at pentecost baptising church with fire .
It looks as though that isn't the answer. Consider the following:

And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, ‘I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?’ Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, ‘See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?’ And Philip said, ‘If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.’ And he answered and said, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’
And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing. Acts 8:26-39[/quote]

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It looks as though that isn't the answer. Consider the following:

Yea , he baptised him AFTER he was saved by believing , most modern translations remove the vers in middle making it look like baptism saves .

1 Corinthians 1:17-18 King James Version (KJV)
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

Baptism is not the gospel , it's good thing to do but not the gospel.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yea , he baptised him AFTER he was saved by believing , most modern translations remove the vers in middle making it look like baptism saves .
But that isn't the issue. The issue concerned whether baptism uses regular water such as might be found in a river or pond OR if that one Bible reference refers--as you maintained it does--to a mothers water breaking during childbirth.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But that isn't the issue. The issue concerned whether baptism uses regular water such as might be found in a river or pond OR if that one Bible reference refers--as you maintained it does--to a mothers water breaking during childbirth.

In the passage with Nicodemus he is clearly talking about broken waters , because he is mentioning a woman , not a lake with water .

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the passage with Nicodemus he is clearly talking about broken waters , because he is mentioning a woman , not a lake with water .
I don't think that is so, but put it aside for the moment.

We have other verses, as I have shown you, which make clear that it is actual pond or river water that was used in NT baptisms. So that settles the question, from the word of God, as to which it was.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that is so, but put it aside for the moment.

We have other verses, as I have shown you, which make clear that it is actual pond or river water that was used in NT baptisms. So that settles the question, from the word of God, as to which it was.

But they alredy been saved prior to the water baptism so the baptism does not save , same as I gave you that the gospel which saves is different from water baptism ( as Paul said )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But they alredy been saved prior to the water baptism so the baptism does not save

That's a completely different issue, my friend. (In fact, it's two of them)

We have been discussing whether or not water is part of Baptism, according to Scripture.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's a completely different issue, my friend. (In fact, it's two of them)

We have been discussing whether or not water is part of Baptism, according to Scripture.

Water is part of Water baptism , but not the baptism of Fire .
You are not saved by Water baptism .
You are saved by baptism of fire.

If you get baptised with fire and not in water you are saved .
If you get baptised in both you are saved .
If you get baptised with water and no fire you are lost .

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Water is part of Water baptism

So when Jesus was speaking with Nicodemus, he was NOT referring to water in childbirth caused by the mother's water breaking (but instead to the water that is normally used in the sacrament and as described in the BIble verse I gave).

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So when Jesus was speaking with Nicodemus, he was NOT referring to water in childbirth caused by the mother's water breaking (but instead to the water that is normally used in the sacrament and as described in the BIble verse I gave).

He was refering to , phariasies rejected the water baptism of John in first place .

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

How did your first birth went ? Did you have anything to do with it ? Did you consider which mother you wanted to be born by and your father ?

No

So likewise , why do you think that you have any part in the birthing process which is of God if you must be born again ? Are you really thinking that you can give birth to yourself ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He was refering to , phariasies rejected the water baptism of John in first place .
So, the mother's water breaking idea now dispatched, you are switching to another theory? There is no reason to think that Nicodemus could not receive Christian baptism later.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
John was baptising for repentance to prepare way for Messiah , when Jesus resurrected and was given the power he send Holy Ghost at pentecost baptising church with fire .

Chinchilla, this is foolishness, and deep down you know it. If John was baptizing for repentance, why do WE not have to show fruits of repentance as well? And don't try to tell me that you call on the blood of Jesus, because you don't even know what that means.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we are saved by grace--but please try to understand. Jesus gives us a different method of getting INTO heaven, in Matt 25.

What different method ?

John 3:36 King James Version (KJV)
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Sounds simple .
Also present tense , not future tense .

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Chinchilla, this is foolishness, and deep down you know it. If John was baptizing for repentance, why do WE not have to show fruits of repentance as well? And don't try to tell me that you call on the blood of Jesus, because you don't even know what that means.

Because we are not Jews but gentiles ? Law was for Jews not whole world , likewise the prophets .

If you could be saved by John's baptism Christ would not need to be crucified .

Grace means not of works and undeserved , why one should try to deserve it by becomming baptised in water ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0