how many failed prophecies does a false prophet make?

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟169,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It only takes one mess up and that is it.

The rules concerning the office of a prophet have never changed other than we don't get to stone him/her anymore.

Whenever GOD is speaking through a prophet/prophetess and foretelling things by HIS wisdom, it is to be GOD speaking at that moment, not that person. That is the only way that it will be true.

The greatest example of how a prophet of GOD can mess things up is seen in the 28th chapter of Jeremiah. Hannaniah, a prophet of GOD, spoke things of his own accord before folks and claimed they were from GOD. GOD killed him about 6 months later.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
YouTube - Brian Tamaki Makes a Prediction and Fails! Failed Prophecy Destiny Church

This guy predicted that in 2008 he and his church would be ruling New Zealand. In the 2008 election his party didnt even score 1% of the total party vote.

Anyhow, my question is this, how many failed prophecies does a prophet have to make before they are officially considered a false prophet?
There's a big difference between making a prediction and speaking prophecy and what this man did was make a prediction, he did not prophecy.

Reactions: Zeena
Upvote 0
B

bluelime2

Nice accent. He did say predict, that is different to 'thus sayeth the lord' and although he ran for office (if what you say is true) he could have been talking generally about christians nationwide because of a christian revival, not his church personally. It was the guy afterwards that turned it into 'you' (which can still mean because they're christian.)

Embaressing to be off the mark, (and very much so) but he could also still be right about what he felt God said, that revival would hit NZ first, to the point of so many becoming christians that they ended up heading the political arena.

It's happened in the past and can happen again. All christian nations originally started out pagan at some point, and christianity has ebbed and flowed under different revivals within nations individually.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Where in the bible does it say that a prophecy is prefaced by "thus sayeth the Lord"

Predict: A prediction is a statement or claim that a particular event will occur in the future in more certain terms than a forecast.

Prophecy:

1. An inspired utterance of a prophet, viewed as a revelation of divine will.
    2. A prediction of the future, made under divine inspiration.
    3. Such an inspired message or prediction transmitted orally or in writing.
  1. The vocation or condition of a prophet.
  2. A prediction.

Sorry people, I think we are playing with semantics,

Upvote 0

John1032

Mar 22, 2009
✟684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where in the bible does it say that a prophecy is prefaced by "thus sayeth the Lord"

Predict: A prediction is a statement or claim that a particular event will occur in the future in more certain terms than a forecast.

Prophecy:

2. A prediction.

Hi Miss T, lets stone him!^_^

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Semantics dont you think
No, but I must say that I predicted to myself that someone was going to use that over used word semantics here sooner or later. ;)

Am I a prophet of God now because I predicted something that came to pass?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Where does it say anywhere that any and all predictions are biblical prophecies?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Prophecy:

2. A prediction.

That's a very shallow way to think about it in my opinion. I can predict the future all I want but that doesn't make it biblical prophecy. I can predict that the Green Bay Packers are going to beat Tampa Bay this Sunday but that doesn't mean I am speaking for God or relaying what God directing told me, even though I know God is a Packer fan and does want them to win. ;) I can predict things through an edjucated guess or through my feelings, but that isn't biblical prophecying.

The man said he predicts something to happen in 5 years. He then goes on to say that it's because he believes it's because God has laid it on his heart, I'm sorry but that is not biblical prophecy, at least not in the way you and Arby are talking about. The man is making a prediction admittingly off what he feels and thinks. I'm sorry Tenebrae but this is not a "Thus sayeth the Lord" moment. And yes, when it comes to what Arby said it does have to be Thus sayeth the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alpine

Resident Sojourner
Sep 19, 2005
Wisconsin
✟25,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
even though I know God is a Packer fan and does want them to win. ;) I can predict things through an edjucated guess or through my feelings, but that isn't biblical prophecying.

That's actually in the bible so it's not a false prophecy.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟169,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

A very good percentage of prophecies in fact do have that saying before them when we look at them in the bible. When GOD operates HIS wisdom through me that way, do I take credit for it? I better not.

What I say here is not meant to be argumentative, all one has to do is look it up in the bible and see how GOD operated through HIS servants. Whether it be Isaiah or Jesus, they both operated in the office of prophet the same way.

Whether that guy prefaced it with "thus saith The Lord" or not, when he said "I predict" he automatically placed himself under scrutiny as a prophet, and being wrong as he was, he is certainly showed himself as no prophet before everyone. Benny Hinn used to do the same thing in the very beginning of his shows, and he too was wrong consistently, hence he was no prophet.

If GOD has not called you to be a prophet, you don't "presumptuously" speak for HIM, because you will invariably prove yourself wrong before folks, it will just be a matter of time.

Upvote 0

kenblaster5000

Feb 5, 2007
Las Vegas NV
✟10,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
YouTube - Brian Tamaki Makes a Prediction and Fails! Failed Prophecy Destiny Church

This guy predicted that in 2008 he and his church would be ruling New Zealand. In the 2008 election his party didnt even score 1% of the total party vote.

Anyhow, my question is this, how many failed prophecies does a prophet have to make before they are officially considered a false prophet?
When I heard, "I predict" I started thinking it was a spirit of divination. Anyway that same phrase tells you that he is speaking of what he came up with. Funny how Bishop watchamacalllit toughguy backs him up. Most of this stuff is fluff and is kinda entertaining, but while we wait on the Lord we shouldn't go to this golden calf dog and pony show. I love the Word, and try to keep the stuff of the world out of my mind, but I find that I can still be watching the stuff of this world because it is done in the flesh.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟730,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They are allowed one mistake, OT they stoned them - now in the NT we just bludgeon them with our tongues, never letting them forget they made a mistake.

I say that tongue in cheek.

And I'm not addressing the OP personally, what follows is my opinion.

I find, that as I get older I approach ministries like a do restaurants. If I go to a restaurant and find a welcoming place, am fed well. I support that place in couple of different ways. I go back to be fed again, I support them with my money and I tell lots of people how good the food was. Their business grows because of word of mouth.

If I am not fed well, if the service is bad. I just don't go back. If someone asks me about the place, I tell them what I think. But I don't take ads out in the paper, or go out of my way to noise it abroad.

IMO if we treated ministries like restaurants, some would grow and others would just close down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joy
Upvote 0
F

freeport

Why do people even follow anyone like that? Even false prophets can predict the future, accurately. That doesn't prove anything.

Most "prophets" seem to be people who have tried - and failed - to interpret Scriptural prophecy. Then, these failed prophetic interpretations are taken as God's word.

So many Christians are worried about filling specific church pews... moving people from one church to another... or obsessing on end of the world interpretations... they end up doing nothing. Nothing at all. Most of the planet's population is impenetrable. What about those people?

It becomes a shell game. They go and spend all their time evangelizing Christians who do not follow the manmade rules they follow. It is sickening.

They end up claiming these other Christians are not saved because they are not of the same group and do not follow the same worthless rules and regulations.

Upvote 0

kenblaster5000

Feb 5, 2007
Las Vegas NV
✟10,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They are allowed one mistake, OT they stoned them - now in the NT we just bludgeon them with our tongues, never letting them forget they made a mistake.

I say that tongue in cheek.

And I'm not addressing the OP personally, what follows is my opinion.

I find, that as I get older I approach ministries like a do restaurants. If I go to a restaurant and find a welcoming place, am fed well. I support that place in couple of different ways. I go back to be fed again, I support them with my money and I tell lots of people how good the food was. Their business grows because of word of mouth.

If I am not fed well, if the service is bad. I just don't go back. If someone asks me about the place, I tell them what I think. But I don't take ads out in the paper, or go out of my way to noise it abroad.

IMO if we treated ministries like restaurants, some would grow and others would just close down.
Yes, one of our pastors said something to that affect, especially for evangelism efforts and church growth. When the food is good we should be telling others, so that they may come out and be fed also. Bring them in and send them out. Catch and release.

Upvote 0

kenblaster5000

Feb 5, 2007
Las Vegas NV
✟10,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why do people even follow anyone like that? Even false prophets can predict the future, accurately. That doesn't prove anything.

Most "prophets" seem to be people who have tried - and failed - to interpret Scriptural prophecy. Then, these failed prophetic interpretations are taken as God's word.

So many Christians are worried about filling specific church pews... moving people from one church to another... or obsessing on end of the world interpretations... they end up doing nothing. Nothing at all. Most of the planet's population is impenetrable. What about those people?

It becomes a shell game. They go and spend all their time evangelizing Christians who do not follow the manmade rules they follow. It is sickening.

They end up claiming these other Christians are not saved because they are not of the same group and do not follow the same worthless rules and regulations.
I have told people in the world that know that or think that certain ministers are fake, or fleecing the sheep, that they need to not be afraid but at least do something. God will tell me in my heart that a person is fearful, and the fearful need to know God does not give us the spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound-mind.

Upvote 0
G

Gods_Child1

One failed prophecy - ONLY ONE! - makes a false prophet. True prophets don't guess! True prophets don't pull revelation out of whatever! All of the prophecies of a real prophet will always be accurate and come to pass eventually.

Upvote 0