Trying to be a Non-Complex Guy
Mar 22, 2012
Canada
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This topic certainly polarizes people. For, against, and undecided! I am a little puzzled where you find gentle words in plucking out your eye or cutting off your hand or other appendage.
Sadly many of the discussions on this topic generate more heat than light. However, I would hope we don't start seeing people missing hands, or other parts as they struggle with MB. The struggle is more in the mind than physical. Wrestling with ones thoughts is a life long issue and not likely to be corrected or eliminated by removing parts of one's body.

Upvote 0

StickwithJesus

Emmanuel
Jan 24, 2012
Rotterdam/Holland
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
This topic certainly polarizes people. For, against, and undecided! I am a little puzzled where you find gentle words in plucking out your eye or cutting off your hand or other appendage.
Sadly many of the discussions on this topic generate more heat than light. However, I would hope we don't start seeing people missing hands, or other parts as they struggle with MB. The struggle is more in the mind than physical. Wrestling with ones thoughts is a life long issue and not likely to be corrected or eliminated by removing parts of one's body.

You've completely missed the point. Congratulations; really. I'm starting to feel like discussing things on this forum is the equivalent of communicating with a wall. I try speaking but my words are met with a hard callus layer of intentional misunderstanding.

Good luck; really.

If your purposely seeking the wrong in my words then you will find it. But if you try to the see the point I'm making then we can be reasonable together.

and just encase you can't read; this is the teenage forum.

*annoyed*

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
You've completely missed the point. Congratulations; really. I'm starting to feel like discussing things on this forum is the equivalent of communicating with a wall. I try speaking but my words are met with a hard callus layer of intentional misunderstanding.

Good luck; really.

If your purposely seeking the wrong in my words then you will find it. But if you try to the see the point I'm making then we can be reasonable together.

and just encase you can't read; this is the teenage forum.

*annoyed*

I honestly don't understand why you're so uptight with this guy. I could be uptight with Christians for not understanding the majority of what I'm trying to say, but I'm not. I feel that he made some good points in his post, and did not deserve such a sudden bashing (way to show that "Christian love" that I'm always seeing in the Christian church... -_-). That's beside the point, though. He's an elder, obviously, and has far more experience on the topic than we do- so we might as well try to listen to what he's saying. You claim that discussions on this forum are like speaking to a wall; and I agree. However, aren't you forming that wall by simply refuting what this man is saying and speaking to him in such a condescending tone? He is simply adding his input on a rather murky topic that is not entirely addressed in the Scriptures as this sin probably did not exist at the time (due to the young ages of marriage.). I think he has a good point. Masturbation, and the fight against it, is entirely mental. Sure, our hand is how we sin, but our hands are practically the eyelids to our soul. They show us what we think and believe based on our actions. If we touch, it's because we have lusted in our mind, and that is a sin.

Also, he may not have been referring to your previous posts- nor would I consider it a "hard callus of intentional misunderstanding". They guy may have just been going through the forum and stumbled upon this post; thus wishing to share his opinion on the topic.

Sorry, I just find your response to this generally uncalled for; though I usually do agree with you everywhere else.

Upvote 0

StickwithJesus

Emmanuel
Jan 24, 2012
Rotterdam/Holland
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I honestly don't understand why you're so uptight with this guy.

I get frustrated when I earnestly try to convey a point and I feel misunderstood. My command of the English language is limited in comparison with how I can communicate in real life so it frustrates me with the lack of fluidity with forum communication.

because of the time difference it takes a large amount of time to rectify misunderstandings and I feel like a moron when it happens. (It feels worse when someone substantially wiser than me misunderstands my point)

I could be uptight with Christians for not understanding the majority of what I'm trying to say, but I'm not. I feel that he made some good points in his post, and did not deserve such a sudden bashing

I have some anger issues which have recently developed. I used to hide it but I felt Jesus didn't want me to pretend to be better than I am. I acted like an idiot and I was wrong to say what I said and I was fustrated.

(way to show that "Christian love" that I'm always seeing in the Christian church... -_-)

If you're going to offend me then please insult me directly. I find insults in a round-about way a bit frustrating; say something like, "You didn't act in the way Jesus told us to act" or something like that. If you're in the mood then include aggressive dialogue. I would appreciate direct honesty at the expense of my feelings.

That's beside the point, though. He's an elder, obviously, and has far more experience on the topic than we do- so we might as well try to listen to what he's saying.

True.

You claim that discussions on this forum are like speaking to a wall; and I agree.

There are so many denominations of faith and belief on the forum. We are all trying to convert each-other but that doesn't work because we're also holding onto our own beliefs tooth and nail.

However, aren't you forming that wall by simply refuting what this man is saying and speaking to him in such a condescending tone?

I don't really consider myself a wall at times like these. I don't talk enough on the forums to qualify; I consider myself a ninja and right now a stone ninja angrily rejecting idea in the fashion of a wall.

He is simply adding his input on a rather murky topic that is not entirely addressed in the Scriptures as this sin probably did not exist at the time (due to the young ages of marriage.). I think he has a good point. Masturbation, and the fight against it, is entirely mental.

I agree

Sure, our hand is how we sin, but our hands are practically the eyelids to our soul. They show us what we think and believe based on our actions. If we touch, it's because we have lusted in our mind, and that is a sin.

I agree on all the points here

Also, he may not have been referring to your previous posts- nor would I consider it a "hard callus of intentional misunderstanding".

Personally that was my attempt to fully delve into my frustration; it was exaggerated to fit my frustration's perspective. I was just saying that sometimes it feels like peeps are trying to misunderstand me.

They guy may have just been going through the forum and stumbled upon this post; thus wishing to share his opinion on the topic.

I feel more foolish now. Which is good because I shouldn't have reacted the way I did.

Sorry, I just find your response to this generally uncalled for;

and you are right.

though I usually do agree with you everywhere else.

I didn't even know you read some of my posts. I generally thought that you were far more intellectual in regards to Biblical principles so I generally avoided communicating with you on the basis that I might say something stupid.

Thank you for being honest. But try and offend my honestly without pulling punches. (Seriously I'm not joking or being sarcastic)

Upvote 0

eddy314

Trying to be a Non-Complex Guy
Mar 22, 2012
Canada
✟15,340.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My apologies for posting in the "younger peoples" area. I happened upon the post and thought I would add a few thoughts on the topic. I did not notice until after that there were "age categories" on this thread. This will be my last comment here.

There are a couple of comments to make, before I leave. First, Thank-you to HarborOrange for standing up for someone who was trying to initiate some thought on the topic rather than settling for preconceived interpretations of scripture and bring a few more years of experience to draw from.

Second, to StickwithJesus, I am almost lost for words. However, there are a few that come to mind and the first is that you need to gain control of your anger! Life is about learning to live with people, contrasting opinions, standing for what you believe, but speaking out in anger will undermine most of what you say you stand for or believe in!
Have a good day.

Upvote 0
I hope I am not out of place here, I'm dropping in to mention a few things.

We all have struggles and temptations in different and sometimes similar situations.

When it comes to sexual desire, God put it in man so we would "be fruitful and multiply" It's only by His grace that intercourse can be a pleasurable act.

One thing that I keep in mind is abstinence. With God's strength anyone can turn from temptation.
It is much better and more admirable to work hard at being abstinent from "self satisfying" actions which can become an unhealthy addiction - than to toss it aside and give in. I think if it's something that the Lord would want from us, we should take the challenge and work at it and through it with the Lord's help.

I struggle with this, and God is working in me with my temptations. It is human nature to have a sexual desire, but it was made for more important things than just self satisfaction.

I believe if God made it for reproduction, it should be kept that way. Why else would sex before marriage be a sin? Because most times premarital sex is used for pleasure and not reproduction. It's used in the same way as masturbation is, minus the partner.

Sex is meant to be kept between a man and a woman for child bearing. It is an intimacy which bonds a man and a woman together.

In most cases of masturbation it does require/ include lusting after anything. An image, an idea or simply desiring sexual stimulation.

I hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries with what I'm saying.

I just want to point out that from what we know, Jesus did not give in to any desires when he was a human on earth. Our goal is to be like He was. Keep that in mind, though it does not address it specifically in the word, I think it's a sexual perversion- which is mentioned in the Word.

Take the challenge for Christ to turn from temptation. I pray you do, as I need prayer for the same thing.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

StickwithJesus

Emmanuel
Jan 24, 2012
Rotterdam/Holland
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Second, to StickwithJesus, I am almost lost for words.

Not to provoke you or anything but I always find that sentence funny because if you are really lost for words then that would begin and end your reply; however it is usually just the start. ^_^

However, there are a few that come to mind and the first is that you need to gain control of your anger!

It angers my when my posts are misunderstood or taken out of context because it just takes oh so very long to correct misunderstandings.

Life is about learning to live with people, contrasting opinions, standing for what you believe, but speaking out in anger will undermine most of what you say you stand for or believe in!

I laughed; I see where you're coming from but you're wrong. I usually get angry with people when they disrespect Jesus; but as he is a timeless and a forever magnificent God I don't see how he is in anyway undermined because even if I burn in hell for eternity it will only show how the more powerful he is.

Have a good day.

I did actually; it was quite fun.

God bless

Upvote 0

MasterpieceMesias

King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
allihyperkid said:
I hope I am not out of place here, I'm dropping in to mention a few things.
Welcome!! How are you?

allihyperkid said:
We all have struggles and temptations in different and sometimes similar situations.
Yes. . . this is true

allihyperkid said:
When it comes to sexual desire, God put it in man so we would "be fruitful and multiply" It's only by His grace that intercourse can be a pleasurable act.
this is true as well

allihyperkid said:
One thing that I keep in mind is abstinence. With God's strength anyone can turn from temptation.
??? what?
allihyperkid said:
It is much better and more admirable to work hard at being abstinent from "self satisfying" actions which can become an unhealthy addiction - than to toss it aside and give in. I think if it's something that the Lord would want from us, we should take the challenge and work at it and through it with the Lord's help.
Unhealthy addiction?? The same could be said with drinking and eating. If you overeat soon you could turn into Fat Albert. Should we stop eating altogether? Also if you get drunk a lot you could turn into Charles Manson (loolz, I kid, I kid). Does that mean to reinstate Prohibition? Just because something good can be potentially bad is a lame reason to just chuck it out the window. I bet if you found a computer virus on your laptop you'd throw the whole thing out, wouldn't you? :p :p

allihyperkid said:
I struggle with this, and God is working in me with my temptations. It is human nature to have a sexual desire, but it was made for more important things than just self satisfaction.
Yes, sexual desire is part of human nature (at least after puberty)
Masturbation=/=self satisfaction. At least not in the way that you put it.

allihyperkid said:
I believe if God made it for reproduction, it should be kept that way. Why else would sex before marriage be a sin? Because most times premarital sex is used for pleasure and not reproduction. It's used in the same way as masturbation is, minus the partner.
because sex before marriage is not a sin. Nowhere in the Bible is sex before marriage specifically and explicitly mentioned. It may have been 'hinted' at to some degree, but that ain't good enough. One could use the word 'fornication' but if you look up the actual root word and greek/latin origins of it then you'd find that the actual definition is much different than the modern and oddly unanimous 'Christian' meaning that we hear frequently today. Also, why is it that when God really thought something to be important and wanted us to know it he tells us directly (10 commandments, thou shall not murder, thou shall not have any other God before me, etc) but then suddenly when it comes to sex and masturbation he is strangely less abrupt and upfront about it? Easy, because humans screwed it up. Humans screw everything up. . . . plain & simple

allihyperkid said:
Sex is meant to be kept between a man and a woman for child bearing. It is an intimacy which bonds a man and a woman together.
yes, but masturbation doesn't even fall in the same boat

allihyperkid said:
In most cases of masturbation it does require/ include lusting after anything. An image, an idea or simply desiring sexual stimulation.
No, wrong. . . if any image and idea that causes sexual stimulation was lust then I and the rest of the normal functioning humans on the earth may as well just have a ritual castration ordained while Slayer & Goatwhore are playing in the background. Read a dictionary, or go online and actually look up the definition of lust. No, actually I'll do it for you.
from dictionary.reference.com
Lust [luhst]  
intense sexual desire or appetite.
uncontrolled or illicit sexual desire or appetite; lecherousness.
a passionate or overmastering desire or craving (usually followed by for ): a lust for power.
ardent enthusiasm; zest; relish: an enviable lust for life.
Obsolete .
a.
pleasure or delight.
b.
desire; inclination; wish.

notice how it says nothing about sexuality in of itself. No, rather it says excessive and ravenous sexual desire, the kind that makes you sweat at night while your sitting on your bed thinking about that one person. Not the kind that makes you feel funny in your pants. Wrong again. . .
allihyperkid said:
I hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries with what I'm saying.
No, of course not. I'm glad that you were able to express your thoughts without shame. That's what all people should do. Debate is actually quite healthy because the exchange of ideas causes new ones to pop up and old ones to evolve into better ones.

allihyperkid said:
I just want to point out that from what we know, Jesus did not give in to any desires when he was a human on earth. Our goal is to be like He was. Keep that in mind, though it does not address it specifically in the word, I think it's a sexual perversion- which is mentioned in the Word.
First of all, Christ was human, but he was also God at the same time. Of course he wouldn't fall to any mere human temptations, it'd be foolery to think so. That assessment is crap. . . . but you're right about one thing, that still is not an excuse not to try anyways.
And also, masturbation as a sexual perversion, just like I said before, is never anywhere in any single verb, noun, adjective or adverb mentioned to be a sexual perversion. It isn't even mentioned at all, really. Your idea is merely a human construction. I also observed how you said that 'you think' that it is a sexual perversion. While I admire that you are using your head instead of your feelings to judge things your thought is wrong. Sorry, and have a nice day!!

allihyperkid said:
Take the challenge for Christ to turn from temptation. I pray you do, as I need prayer for the same thing.

God bless you.
lol what challenge??

Upvote 0

StickwithJesus

Emmanuel
Jan 24, 2012
Rotterdam/Holland
✟15,255.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Welcome!! How are you?

*in a Bear Grylls voice*

I can seeeeee; that he is excited to have a female... on the foruums.

-Lol-

memes-come-out-come-out.jpg

Upvote 0

MasterpieceMesias

King of Stoic Cynicism
Feb 20, 2011
Somewhere away from people
✟8,602.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
*in a Bear Grylls voice*

I can seeeeee; that he is excited to have a female... on the foruums.

-Lol-

memes-come-out-come-out.jpg

brilliant, lad!! Now quickly let's go find a deer carcass and eat its heart and get some nutrients from it!

bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.