How important is respect and obedience in a wife?

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I heard something recently about authority (from Romans....correct me if I'm relaying it improperly).....that only those UNDER authority...HAVE authority.......as along with that, trust is formed, and authority flows from trust....trust flows from truth. Even Jesus credited His authority to the Father.

Do we have authority over God since we are under his authority?

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do we have authority over God since we are under his authority?
Obviously, I didn't relay that thought very well.

What I meant was....all authority flows down from God, and those that are in submission to Him, then have that. If someone steps out from being under submission to Him....they have lost that authority---they are going their own way...and the sense of trust is lost.

Upvote 0
H

hijklmnop

Obviously, I didn't relay that thought very well.

What I meant was....all authority flows down from God, and those that are in submission to Him, then have that. If someone steps out from being under submission to Him....they have lost that authority---they are going their own way...and the sense of trust is lost.

I agree with this...as a wife I would not follow my husband's leadership if he was leading me away from God and not actively seeking the Lord's will in his and in our family's life. When I believe that he is, I am much more likely to be his willing partner, as our big-picture goals will be the same and we are ultimately looking to the same authority for guidance.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with this...as a wife I would not follow my husband's leadership if he was leading me away from God and not actively seeking the Lord's will in his and in our family's life. When I believe that he is, I am much more likely to be his willing partner, as our big-picture goals will be the same and we are ultimately looking to the same authority for guidance.
That's it.......we can sense (or SHOULD sense, anyway) when someone is pulling us away from God. That's what I find as so telling, how the modern theology wants to get us away from feelings, and is all about "doing the right thing". Ignoring feelings is exactly what allows deception to occur....and then you have TWO people away from God. That is just why the Bible tells us that two are stronger than one.....if one falls (and that can be EITHER spouse)....the other will be there to help them back up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Ultimate example of a real man is Jesus. And as much as this will be denied I guarantee that most women would not be happy being married to someone who accurately reflects all aspects of Jesus nature. Sure they all want the sacrificial love part but that's by no means all or even most of who He was/is. As soon as we start talking about the direct or confrontational part of Jesus nature we get all sorts of "reasons" why we can't be that way ranging from the plainly false notion that Jesus was that way only rarely or as a last resort, to "we don't have His perfect discernment so we can't know when we should act that way."

The talk of wielding authority like a spoiled child though tells me that I'm already being heard as saying something that hasn't even been brought up so I'm out. Have fun.

The bold part is extremely ironic to me. I don;t think that many women take issue with a confrontational man. What does happen quite regularly, however, is that people including women, due to social engineering, take HUGE issues with a woman being confrontational. Remember, Christ isn't just who men are to mirror. Christ is also who women are to mirror, as well.

Upvote 0
H

hijklmnop

The bold part is extremely ironic to me. I don;t think that many women take issue with a confrontational man. What does happen quite regularly, however, is that people including women, due to social engineering, take HUGE issues with a woman being confrontational. Remember, Christ isn't just who men are to mirror. Christ is also who women are to mirror, as well.

Oohh...excellent point!

Upvote 0

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Within the Church, direct and confrontational are seen as negatives or as a last resort thing no matter who is doing it. The reality is that in today's American Church, only one side of Christ is taught, the soft, meek, "feminine" side of Him.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. Wasn't it Moses that was credited as being the "meekest man"? Reading about Moses's life, I wouldn't equate him with feminine.

ETA: It was Moses....I just looked it up...

Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth. – Numbers 12:3 (KJV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

Romanseight2005

Exactly. Wasn't it Moses that was credited as being the "meekest man"? Reading about Moses's life, I wouldn't equate him with feminine.

ETA: It was Moses....I just looked it up...

Right. What's the opposite of meekness? Would it be pride? Pride is not masculine or feminine, it's sinful. If one is not meek, they are proud. There is no middle ground with that.

Reactions: mkgal1
Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I heard something recently about authority (from Romans....correct me if I'm relaying it improperly).....that only those UNDER authority...HAVE authority.......as along with that, trust is formed, and authority flows from trust....trust flows from truth. Even Jesus credited His authority to the Father.

This makes sense to me. I am more than happy to submit to the authority of my priest (my h is dead), as long as I know that my priest is himself under the authority of the bishop, and the Church, and ultimately, of course, under Christ.

I won't submit to anyone else in the same way. I no longer submit to my dad's authority, partly for the above reason; he is not himself under anyone's authority, and his parenting style when we were small was bullying and authoritiarian. I am not at all interested in submitting to any form of bullying whatever.

Therefore, respect and obedience go together; without respect you may get compliant behaviour, but that is not the same thing as willing obedience.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, respect and obedience go together; without respect you may get compliant behaviour, but that is not the same thing as willing obedience.
Very important distinction there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I would agree with that. would you not agree that strength out of control is usually coupled with pride?
Besides the control part being the missing element.....the other missing element could be the strength. So, you could have weakness........which is often equated with "meekness".....but, it's actually the opposite.

Since hardly anyone wants to display their weakness to the world...out of pride.....weakness is masqueraded as something else---aggression. It's all entangled.....like a ball of yarn.....because, often..."aggression" or an overblown ego...both are equated to strength. Again.....another opposite.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
R

Romanseight2005

Besides the control part being the missing element.....the other missing element could be the strength. So, you could have weakness........which is often equated with "meekness".....but, it's actually the opposite.

Since hardly anyone wants to display their weakness to the world...out of pride.....weakness is masqueraded as something else---aggression. It's all entangled.....like a ball of yarn.....because, often..."aggression" is equated to strength. Again.....another opposite.

Very good points!:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

Since hardly anyone wants to display their weakness to the world...out of pride.....weakness is masqueraded as something else---aggression. It's all entangled.....like a ball of yarn.....because, often..."aggression" is equated to strength. Again.....another opposite.

I had a similar conversation with my priest, who got a bit bothered when he saw how willing I was to defer to other people, and do what they wanted. I explained that serving others is not a sign of weakness, but of ability. He does not preside over the Eucharist because he is rubbish at it, but because he is the best person there, ordained by God to serve.

Therefore, Christ's words make sense. He who wants to lead, must do so by serving those around him. It makes no difference how we serve, the important thing is that we learn how to do it. Husbands must serve their wives, and wives their husbands, and both serve their children. A constant giving of ourselves, without counting the cost.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Meekness is strength under control. So the opposite of meekness would be strength out of control. Or basically a lack of self control.
The other "control" is God-controlled, instead of self-controlled. IOW...to be completely submitted to God...and that is just what Jesus was ("I do nothing apart from my Father's will").....just where our aim SHOULD be.

So, I don't understand what would be wrong if that were the ONLY part of Jesus that was taught. Doesn't that sum it all up nicely?

Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟327,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The whole thing about being a wife is discernment. Sometimes it's our job to to be quiet and listen, sometimes to fuss and set hubbies straight. Never give in when you know something is right to do. My hubby wanted to fix the sliding glass door later, in the spring, and I said, "Absolutely NOT! If you're not going to fix it, I will!"

It was fixed in two days. Pick your battles, and don't put up with junk. Believe me, life is too short. That's how stuff works.

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0