castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hey friends, What are the ways you describe repentance.

I made this video because I am eager to explain repentance to the youth at my church in a way that is engaging and clear to them.

I used an awesome passage from Matthew 11:21-30

as I've been posting on different threads here, I've really enjoyed reading what others have said

So I'd love to hear your thoughts on this video, and your own thoughts about how you'd describe repentance?

God Bless you...I love hearing peoples voices in this community

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟952,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I made this video because I am eager to explain repentance to the youth at my church in a way that is engaging and clear to them.

as I've been posting on different threads here, I've really enjoyed reading what others have said

So I'd love to hear your thoughts on this video, and your own thoughts about how you'd describe repentance?

A change of heart, that loves and cares, and that does not confuse love with lust, and that has a natural aversion, or repulsion, or does not like, sin and sinful things, or ugly, dirty, wicked, and evil things, and avoids them like a/the plague when possible... for starters...

And "spiritual maturity" (from there) is shown on how they handle and deal with those things (the latter above) when they have to... (Cause they will have to)...

God Bless!

• Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Repentance is turning away from sin, but I think that definition lacks because it doesn't really give a destination. It isn't just "away from sin" but should include "to God and His ways." In a sense, it is really a returning to God seeing Adam was once connected and his sin broke that connection. By coming in faith and submitting to God as Lord, we are making that connection again, we have "come back" to God in a sense. This concept is found in the Hebrew word from which repent is found, shuv (or a form thereof). And shuv, at it's essence, means to return.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This concept is found in the Hebrew word from which repent is found, shuv (or a form thereof). And shuv, at it's essence, means to return.
Actually, Ken, the root you reference simply means to turn.

In root form the last letter carries the B sound, but when combined with a suffix, often takes the V sound. So shub means to turn, while teshuvah means to turn around and go back, to repent.

Dr Prince combines that definition with that of the NT Greek repentance word metanoia "to change your mind" for a full description to decide to change your mind, followed by a change of action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

repentance is to turn back or a turning from the perception afforded us by our five husbands/senses .... or said another way ... repentance is to turn away from the perception afforded to us by our carnal mind ...

Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
just dont let them think like I did when I was a youth that repentance was simple confession of sin, I was very confused of what repentance was growing up catholic, I thought when I went to confess my sins to the priest I was forgiven and that was repentance and I would go out and do the same sins again. Glad God opened my eyes

Reactions: MarleneJ
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Many understand the term repentance (from the Greek word metanoia) to mean “turning from sin.” This is not the biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word repent means “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8-14; Acts 3:19). Acts 26:20 declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.” The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

What, then, is the connection between repentance and salvation? The Book of Acts seems to especially focus on repentance in regards to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind in regard to Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about Him, to recognize that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds from rejection of Christ as the Messiah to faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior.

Repentance and faith can be understood as “two sides of the same coin.” It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about who He is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

It is crucially important that we understand repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation. No one can repent and come to God unless God pulls that person to Himself (John 6:44). Acts 5:31 and 11:18 indicate that repentance is something God gives—it is only possible because of His grace. No one can repent unless God grants repentance. All of salvation, including repentance and faith, is a result of God drawing us, opening our eyes, and changing our hearts. God's longsuffering leads us to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), as does His kindness (Romans 2:4).

While repentance is not a work that earns salvation, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly and fully change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). A person who has truly repented from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19-23; James 2:14-26). Repentance, properly defined, is necessary for salvation. Biblical repentance is changing your mind about Jesus Christ and turning to God in faith for salvation (Acts 3:19). Turning from sin is not the definition of repentance, but it is one of the results of genuine, faith-based repentance towards the Lord Jesus Christ.

www.gotquestions.org/repentance.html

• Winner
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

A change of will. It requires change of mind, heart, and ways that are of yourself, towards the things of God, the heart of God, and the ways of God. In result, your will changes to God's will, God's will become the driving force. Given that's not an enate desire, we kill those temptations daily.

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Stupid title , you can't ruin God's plann , all things works good in the end for these who Love God .
There is one who wants to ruin God's plann and he is called Satan maybe you have heared of him and even he won't make it .

Repentance is change of mind , you can't be saved without it . Repentance is not work of flesh or like people say turning away from sin which you commited . If repentance was turning away from sin then tell me which sin did God commit in Exodus 32:14 .

Hypocrites, if you read stories of people like Samson, and Saul, whose actions did ruin what God planned.

Don't call someone's thoughts or ideas stupid, That's incredibly rude and inappropriate behaviour for a Christian forum site.
A change of heart, that loves and cares, and that does not confuse love with lust, and that has a natural aversion, or repulsion, or does not like, sin and sinful things, or ugly, dirty, wicked, and evil things, and avoids them like a/the plague when possible... for starters...

And "spiritual maturity" (from there) is shown on how they handle and deal with those things (the latter above) when they have to... (Cause they will have to)...

God Bless!
"does not confuse love with lust"
I love that. You summed it up really well. Thank you Neogaia777 :) really appreciate it. Did you any any feedback for the video?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Repentance is turning away from sin, but I think that definition lacks because it doesn't really give a destination. It isn't just "away from sin" but should include "to God and His ways." In a sense, it is really a returning to God seeing Adam was once connected and his sin broke that connection. By coming in faith and submitting to God as Lord, we are making that connection again, we have "come back" to God in a sense. This concept is found in the Hebrew word from which repent is found, shuv (or a form thereof). And shuv, at it's essence, means to return.
I will that sense of reconnecting....and I definitley see what you mean, having a destination would help us definite it better :)

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This man taught me all anyone would ever need to know about Repentance, and why it is so very important:

I loved that first video! esspecialy the emphasis on the fact that it is not stemming from emotions, but from will......I love what he said about your building being wobbly

thank you so much friend :)

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
repentance is to turn back or a turning from the perception afforded us by our five husbands/senses .... or said another way ... repentance is to turn away from the perception afforded to us by our carnal mind ...
I love what you said about perception, and recognising it as a perception from the carnal mind...fantastic insight friend. I really appreciate it :)

Reactions: mozo41
Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
just dont let them think like I did when I was a youth that repentance was simple confession of sin, I was very confused of what repentance was growing up catholic, I thought when I went to confess my sins to the priest I was forgiven and that was repentance and I would go out and do the same sins again. Glad God opened my eyes
DaveM this is exactly what I want to avoid, thank you for sharing because you hit the nail on the head as far as my intentions are concerned. Thank you friend :)

Reactions: DaveM
Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Many understand the term repentance (from the Greek word metanoia) to mean “turning from sin.” This is not the biblical definition of repentance. In the Bible, the word repent means “to change one’s mind.” The Bible also tells us that true repentance will result in a change of actions (Luke 3:8-14; Acts 3:19). Acts 26:20 declares, “I preached that they should repent and turn to God and prove their repentance by their deeds.” The full biblical definition of repentance is a change of mind that results in a change of action.

What, then, is the connection between repentance and salvation? The Book of Acts seems to especially focus on repentance in regards to salvation (Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; 17:30; 20:21; 26:20). To repent, in relation to salvation, is to change your mind in regard to Jesus Christ. In Peter’s sermon on the day of Pentecost (Acts chapter 2), he concludes with a call for the people to repent (Acts 2:38). Repent from what? Peter is calling the people who rejected Jesus (Acts 2:36) to change their minds about Him, to recognize that He is indeed “Lord and Christ” (Acts 2:36). Peter is calling the people to change their minds from rejection of Christ as the Messiah to faith in Him as both Messiah and Savior.

Repentance and faith can be understood as “two sides of the same coin.” It is impossible to place your faith in Jesus Christ as the Savior without first changing your mind about who He is and what He has done. Whether it is repentance from willful rejection or repentance from ignorance or disinterest, it is a change of mind. Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

It is crucially important that we understand repentance is not a work we do to earn salvation. No one can repent and come to God unless God pulls that person to Himself (John 6:44). Acts 5:31 and 11:18 indicate that repentance is something God gives—it is only possible because of His grace. No one can repent unless God grants repentance. All of salvation, including repentance and faith, is a result of God drawing us, opening our eyes, and changing our hearts. God's longsuffering leads us to repentance (2 Peter 3:9), as does His kindness (Romans 2:4).

While repentance is not a work that earns salvation, repentance unto salvation does result in works. It is impossible to truly and fully change your mind without that causing a change in action. In the Bible, repentance results in a change in behavior. That is why John the Baptist called people to “produce fruit in keeping with repentance” (Matthew 3:8). A person who has truly repented from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ will give evidence of a changed life (2 Corinthians 5:17; Galatians 5:19-23; James 2:14-26). Repentance, properly defined, is necessary for salvation. Biblical repentance is changing your mind about Jesus Christ and turning to God in faith for salvation (Acts 3:19). Turning from sin is not the definition of repentance, but it is one of the results of genuine, faith-based repentance towards the Lord Jesus Christ.

www.gotquestions.org/repentance.html
This just what I needed tohear, I have often had this view that repentance was about my effort to stick to a standard but it is actuallly about recognising God's grace as you said.

so true about produce fruit in keeping with rpeentance, and jesus also says that branches that don't tpoduce fruit will be thrown out....so serious business for sure..Thank you friend :)

Reactions: AvgJoe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A change of will. It requires change of mind, heart, and ways that are of yourself, towards the things of God, the heart of God, and the ways of God. In result, your will changes to God's will, God's will become the driving force. Given that's not an enate desire, we kill those temptations daily.
We really do have to kill those desires daily, I have been reading verses in psalms and Jeremiah about how deceitful our heart is. It definitely is about changing the will to God's will who always knows way better than us :) Thank you Mskriskris

Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
OT:

Number 23:19
“God is not a man, that He should lie,
Nor a son of man, that He should repent;
Has He said, and will He not do it?
Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?

"that He should repent;" ...Hebrews 5162...nacham...
to be sorry, console oneself, regret, comfort, be comforted

"to repent."...Hebrews 7725...shuwb...to return, turn back

NT:

Matthew 3:2; 4:17 ; Mark 1:15
Repent, for the "kingdom of heaven" (God) is at hand.” (Jesus the Divine Messiah has come!...good news!)

"Repent,...Greek 3340...metanoeo...to change one's mind /
to change one's mind for the better; heartily to amend with abhorrence one's past sins

Repentance (metanoia, 'change of mind') involves a turning with contrition from sin to God;
the repentant sinner is in the proper condition to ACCEPT the divine forgiveness." (SALVATION)

To Me, repent simply means: RE-THINK...spiritually turning to God when He calls / draws you.

Repentance in context has TWO meanings:

1. repent UNTO salvation...God calls/draws you to Him from sinful self...turning to God to ACCEPT THE GIFT!

e.g. Jesus preached:

Mark 1 (NASB)...Jesus Preaches in Galilee
14 Now after John (the Baptizer) had been taken into custody, Jesus came into Galilee,
preaching the gospel (good news) of God, 15 and saying,
“The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; (Jesus the Divine Messiah had come!)
repent AND believe in the "gospel".” (Jesus the Divine Messiah had come!)

Luke 24...Jesus: AFTER The Resurrection
47 and that repentance for (because of?) forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations,
beginning from Jerusalem.

Romans 2 (NASB)
4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience,
not knowing that the kindness (GRACE!) of God (the Holy Spirit) LEADS you to repentance?

2 Cor. 7:10
For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret,
leading to salvation
, (NOT a condition of!)
but the sorrow of the world produces death.

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, (unbelievers?) not wishing for ANY to perish
but for ALL to come to repentance.

2 Timothy 2:25
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, (NOT a condition of!)

2. repent BACK into fellowship after sinning...e.g. The Parable of the Prodigal Son

Luke 15 (NASB)...Jesus and the Parable of "The Lost Coin"
10 In the same way, I tell you,
there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Repentance for believers involves CONFESSION
and claiming cleansing and forgiveness of sins purchased by Jesus' completed work on the Cross

1 John 1...God Is Light
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light,
and in Him there is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have FELLOWSHIP with Him and yet walk in the darkness,
we lie and do not PRACTICE the truth;
7 but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light,
we have FELLOWSHIP with "one another", (BELIEVERS)
and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess (AGREE WITH GOD ABOUT) our sins,
He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

Upvote 0

Sal Robinson

Supporter
Mar 11, 2018
castle hill
✟100,160.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT

A small clean up was done to remove some inappropriate posts and one response to the posts.
Thank you kindly friend :) I appreciate you taking actions to make sure this site is a safe place. God Bless you :)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I loved that first video! esspecialy the emphasis on the fact that it is not stemming from emotions, but from will......I love what he said about your building being wobbly

thank you so much friend :)
You are most welcome!

Upvote 0