How has the growth in your spiritual walk changed your anime taste?

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Just out of curiosity, i was wondering if people have felt convicted to alter their taste in anime because of their growth during their spiritual walk. For me, I'm trying to reduce the amount of shows that have sexual themes "Kill La Kill", "High School of the Dead", "Shokugeki No Soma" etc.. and trying to find other alternatives. I will admit, I am still struggling letting go of shows that deal with demons or violence because that is what I grew up on. Any titles that people have seen that I could use to update my library? Thanks!

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I'd question if Food Wars/Soma really has sexual themes, especially if you're referring to the foodgasms, which aren't real, first off, they're purely imaginary in terms of what's actually happening. The closest we get is maybe from season 3-4 onward with some of Erina's family and such, but even that's more meant to be bizarre and such, not sexually arousing, even if some could take it that way.

And having not seen Kill La Kill, but being somewhat familiar with Trigger's general style, I'm skeptical if that is intended to be sexual or encouraging something negative in nature entirely, because there's a lot of subtext with KLK supposedly with what message is being conveyed, kind of like Brand New Animal that came out recently (still not on U.S. Netflix, to my knowledge) with regards to identity and belonging, among other things

Sometimes a series can have mature content without it being something that is corrupting, but more thought-provoking, like Beastars, which doesn't show any nudity, it's more used as a plot device for character development, nothing really happens as I recall onscreen, any sex and stuff is offscreen, similar to brutal violence.

Just from my top 5~ new series from last year, there's My Roommate Is a Cat, that's pretty neutral in terms of sex and violence.

Fairy Gone is military drama, but the violence isn't overdone, it's an interesting piece on the horrors of war in a society that's trying to recover from it and even some notions about coexisting with nature.

And my top recommendation is Astra Lost in Space, which doesn't really have either of the content you're worried about (certainly not demons, it's sci fi) and is an interesting look at dystopian society with a new twist, plus an adventure plot

As for Winter 2020, only Nekopara really works, the others too violent or sexual for general audiences, though Spring 2020 has been lacking, unfortunately

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I can only speak about my creative tastes in general having evolved, since 10 years ago, if you told me I would watch say, Free or other stuff that was generally out of my common genres, I'd have thought you were pulling my leg. But a lot of what I'm watching is follow-ups to stuff I've looked at, though some is newer and has follow ups announced, like, say Vinland Saga or others like that. It's always a weird mix for me and with the pandemic, it's even more uncertain about what will be regularly airing and what will be delayed, like several series I'm watching at present, maybe getting back to normalcy in July.

Upvote 0

Kevin-D.77

May 13, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'd question if Food Wars/Soma really has sexual themes, especially if you're referring to the foodgasms, which aren't real, first off, they're purely imaginary in terms of what's actually happening. The closest we get is maybe from season 3-4 onward with some of Erina's family and such, but even that's more meant to be bizarre and such, not sexually arousing, even if some could take it that way.

And having not seen Kill La Kill, but being somewhat familiar with Trigger's general style, I'm skeptical if that is intended to be sexual or encouraging something negative in nature entirely, because there's a lot of subtext with KLK supposedly with what message is being conveyed, kind of like Brand New Animal that came out recently (still not on U.S. Netflix, to my knowledge) with regards to identity and belonging, among other things

Sometimes a series can have mature content without it being something that is corrupting, but more thought-provoking, like Beastars, which doesn't show any nudity, it's more used as a plot device for character development, nothing really happens as I recall onscreen, any sex and stuff is offscreen, similar to brutal violence.

Just from my top 5~ new series from last year, there's My Roommate Is a Cat, that's pretty neutral in terms of sex and violence.

Fairy Gone is military drama, but the violence isn't overdone, it's an interesting piece on the horrors of war in a society that's trying to recover from it and even some notions about coexisting with nature.

And my top recommendation is Astra Lost in Space, which doesn't really have either of the content you're worried about (certainly not demons, it's sci fi) and is an interesting look at dystopian society with a new twist, plus an adventure plot

As for Winter 2020, only Nekopara really works, the others too violent or sexual for general audiences, though Spring 2020 has been lacking, unfortunately

Very true. I do not mind the mature themes (watching Vinland myself right now actually) I think for me, since I have been trying to be more aware of the content I am taking in, I've noticed that I have become more sensitive to nudity or sexual innuendos. I use to love Food Wars because to me it was all about the cooking and Soma being funny. But I can't get around the fact that as funny as the "food-gasms" are, even if they are not real, we all know what they are comparing it to. But thank you for the recommendations! I have also been checking out movies I've missed as well. (Boy and the Beast was beautiful )

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Very true. I do not mind the mature themes (watching Vinland myself right now actually) I think for me, since I have been trying to be more aware of the content I am taking in, I've noticed that I have become more sensitive to nudity or sexual innuendos. I use to love Food Wars because to me it was all about the cooking and Soma being funny. But I can't get around the fact that as funny as the "food-gasms" are, even if they are not real, we all know what they are comparing it to. But thank you for the recommendations! I have also been checking out movies I've missed as well. (Boy and the Beast was beautiful )

Vinland is interesting with a character that arguably delves into Christianity in unexpected ways. Heck, there's a few that are Christian and bring a unique kind of Japanese perspective of how Christianity was back then

[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] doesn't have to be titillating, the point of them is that the experience is orgasmic, not that it actually is sexual in nature. I've had really rich cheesecake, I don't [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] from it. It's valid that you could interpret it in that way, it's not valid to consider that it must be interpreted that way. At best, me, being asexual, may not have the same perspective as an allosexual, but even looking at it with that preconception, the sexual aspects are not what was primary when I've seen them.

I still do want to watch Boy and the Beast, but at this point, it's more movies that I don't have to focus so much attention on the subtitles in contrast to the Japanese audio, though some are going to be necessary, Demon Slayer's movie, the two Sailor Moon Crystal Movies, I also really want to see the Seven Deadly Sins one, even if it kind of doomed the series to the lower quality animation, since it didn't sell well and thus the animation studio changed for season 3 and beyond

Upvote 0

abandonentropy

There is nothing new under the sun
Mar 9, 2016
Canada
✟56,629.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Personally I avoid anime that are in the ecchi, yaoi, or yuri category. That's about all I avoid because of my faith though, there are others I avoid just because I have no personal interest. The only other line I would draw is direct defamation of Jesus Christ. I have not encountered that thus far in my years of watching anime.

Upvote 0

TruthInLight

Sep 28, 2018
Portland
✟33,514.00
Country
United States
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
I haven't gone to the extent that I alter my taste. But I do become more aware of of the subject matters presented in the shows, and I learn not to give into the ideologies of the world.

I guess it could be like picking what food you eat. How the brown haired girl is acting in that scene in the video I'm posting is how I respond to things I find that aren't to my liking.

Proverbs 23:7
For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Upvote 0