How "evangelical" is your Coptic Church?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinipassi

Apr 14, 2005
✟15,335.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Hi Coptic Girl, I'm new to this forum, so still unsure how to use it, but I saw your posting about coptic orthodox evangalism and I wanted to reply to it. Just to let you know I'm also coptic, so you would know what is my background.

Perhaps, the greatest form of evangelism is being an example of Christ and an ambassador of Christ, so that all who come in contact with us can see Jesus by our conduct and behaviour, and not simply by our words alone. Jesus tells us lovingly, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matt 5: 16)

"Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me..........Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me" (Matt 25:34- 46)

People are trully touched by God's love in us, everytime we forgive others, everytime we support others in their hardships and everytime we remember in humility that we are nothing but dust, yet God treasures us so much. St. John the Baptist says beautifully, "..Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled.He must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3: 30)

So effective evangelism is starts with one person showing God's love to others and remembering at all times that Jesus must increase while I must decrease. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with holding an information session or a private meeting with a priest for those who would like to know more about Orthodoxy.

Yet, the greatest "outreach" starts with ourselves. I hear a lot of people complaining about how come we are not as welcoming to newcomers. But the question we must ask ourselves is, "Have I made every effort to go out of my comfort zone and welcome every new people in the Church?"

It all starts with one person and takes one person to make others who are new welcome in the Church. Others follow example. The Church that I attend is in Australia, and I greatly admire our youth in our Church who go out of their way to welcome new people (old and young) to our Church and make them part of the "one big family".

So lets start getting out of our comfort zone and be friendly to new people. By our friendliness, people will want to know who is giving us all this Love! It will catch on, because Love is very infectious!

Blessings and love
erini

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.