Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How does one wire Electric Motors? I have tried in the past and caused fires. I only wire them outside so I can walk away and pretend, I did not start another fire.

What kind of motor? AC? DC? And as @sandman asked above, are you connecting wires to a motor or are you winding a motor as in building an entire motor?

Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The Youtube video that mnorian posted is a great start as far as setting up the kind of motors you'd find in consumer electrics (washing machines, vacuums etc) but even then some of those motors are more difficult to wire (or impossible without the proper controller).

There are any number of different motor for different applications. There are AC and DC motors, synchronous and asynchronous motors, single and multi phased motors, stepper motors and servo motors just to name the kinds I can think of off the top of my head. It's been 50 something years since I looked at the electronic design and operation of the basic motors so probably a lot has changed since then (e.g. the introduction of stepper motors and the use of servo motors).

Obviously wiring a DC motor is going to be the easiest (generally) because you basically just put your battery or DC supply across it and it should run, forward or backward, depending upon whether or not there is circuitry to limit polarity. A basic single phase, capacitor start, AC motor could be the next easiest to wire... provided the capacity is present and in good condition. An AC voltage (active and neutral) across the contacts is probably likely to kick it into action (note the double uncertainty... Murphy's law is always present). After that... it starts to get a bit more involved. You may need to check the web for specific motors.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Youtube video that mnorian posted is a great start as far as setting up the kind of motors you'd find in consumer electrics (washing machines, vacuums etc) but even then some of those motors are more difficult to wire (or impossible without the proper controller).

There are any number of different motor for different applications. There are AC and DC motors, synchronous and asynchronous motors, single and multi phased motors, stepper motors and servo motors just to name the kinds I can think of off the top of my head. It's been 50 something years since I looked at the electronic design and operation of the basic motors so probably a lot has changed since then (e.g. the introduction of stepper motors and the use of servo motors).

Obviously wiring a DC motor is going to be the easiest (generally) because you basically just put your battery or DC supply across it and it should run, forward or backward, depending upon whether or not there is circuitry to limit polarity. A basic single phase, capacitor start, AC motor could be the next easiest to wire... provided the capacity is present and in good condition. An AC voltage (active and neutral) across the contacts is probably likely to kick it into action (note the double uncertainty... Murphy's law is always present). After that... it starts to get a bit more involved. You may need to check the web for specific motors.
Please recommend books and videoes, thanks Daniel

Upvote 0

Techo

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2023
Melbourne
✟45,399.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Well... the books that I researched were part of the college library where I attended 50 years ago... I do not have access to them now... nor can I remember the titles... even the subject matter has become a little vague to me now since I've not needed to utilize that information in a long, long time. You'd have just as much opportunity to locate videos as I... particularly as you would have access to model numbers and manufacturer details of the motors that you wish to wire up. Sorry... I can't provide specific information that you would like.

Upvote 0