How does one know if one is humble or not?

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So why are we like this, even as Christians? Why can pride be so hard to let go of?

Only when we learn to pride in God's ability to overcome our wrongs can we begin to loose our own pride. Pride is heeding an spirit which is unclean for we should not pride in ourselves, so often all wrong, but humbly acknowledge that we are hardened sinners and need God's grace every step of the way. In the mean time Jesus saves us from ourselves in sin, that is if we go to Him for salvation along the way, and let the Spirit of repentance fill our hearts so we gain the love to change.

Like Proverb 16:18 says.

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

So i advise you to go to God when you next get prideful and repent of listening to that spirit, instead of the Spirit of the Lord, who ever only prides in Jesus. Thank God for His loving grace and leave your prideful self with Him to take care off. It is amazing what happens when we willingly die to the wrongs that be sail us, we get God's Spirit dwelling in our hearts instead of worldly ones.

We all battles unclean forces within ourselves but with the grace of God we can overcome. The more grace you eat the humbler your heart will be. So yes serving Jesus exposes our weaknesses and our sins like nothing else does, but His loving grace saves us from ourselves - time and again!

Place your faith in His love even now for He is good to those who seek Refuge in Him.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Only when we learn to pride in God's ability to overcome our wrongs can we begin to loose our own pride. Pride is heeding an spirit which is unclean for we should not pride in ourselves, so often all wrong, but humbly acknowledge that we are hardened sinners and need God's grace every step of the way. In the mean time Jesus saves us from ourselves in sin, that is if we go to Him for salvation along the way, and let the Spirit of repentance fill our hearts so we gain the love to change.

Like Proverb 16:18 says.

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

So i advise you to go to God when you next get prideful and repent of listening to that spirit, instead of the Spirit of the Lord, who ever only prides in Jesus. Thank God for His loving grace and leave your prideful self with Him to take care off. It is amazing what happens when we willingly die to the wrongs that be sail us, we get God's Spirit dwelling in our hearts instead of worldly ones.

We all battles unclean forces within ourselves but with the grace of God we can overcome. The more grace you eat the humbler your heart will be. So yes serving Jesus exposes our weaknesses and our sins like nothing else does, but His loving grace saves us from ourselves - time and again!

Place your faith in His love even now for He is good to those who seek Refuge in Him.
Thank you. Have you attained this, do you think?

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. Have you attained this, do you think?

In part yes Jesus has. Jesus got rid of my ego convincing me that His truth is truer than i ever been. i pride in God now, not in myself, i myself, without Him, amount up to nothing, to Him be the glory.

i struggled with pride until i got sick and could no longer care for my family or keep a job. i lost my big I when Jesus was revealed in my life, He cut me down with His loving truth. i tell you those two culprit did a lot of damage in my life. i'm so glad Jesus killed those spirits in my heart and replaced that with His good life. Priding in God is an awesome activity and brings eternal life instead of a big I He gave me a small one.

Now i'm dining on His good life and have been greatly encouraged fighting wrong in my heart.

He will set me free from all evil One great day, i will always love Him for that.

So do bring Him your times in wrong so He can make it right. Jesus is awesome at doing that.

Be of very good courage fighting wrong, with Jesus the battle is always won in the end.

Peace.

Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In part yes Jesus has. Jesus got rid of my ego convincing me that His truth is truer than i ever been. i pride in God now, not in myself, i myself, without Him, amount up to nothing, to Him be the glory.

i struggled with pride until i got sick and could no longer care for my family or keep a job. i lost my big I when Jesus was revealed in my life, He cut me down with His loving truth. i tell you those two culprit did a lot of damage in my life. i'm so glad Jesus killed those spirits in my heart and replaced that with His good life. Priding in God is an awesome activity and brings eternal life instead of a big I He gave me a small one.

Now i'm dining on His good life and have been greatly encouraged fighting wrong in my heart.

He will set me free from all evil One great day, i will always love Him for that.

So do bring Him your times in wrong so He can make it right. Jesus is awesome at doing that.

Be of very good courage fighting wrong, with Jesus the battle is always won in the end.

Peace.
Do you think God needs to do more work in me? I don't really want this thread to be about me, just about Christians in general, but you keep focusing on what I can do instead of what we can do.

So, is there something about my OP that makes you feel you need to address me personally in the way that you have done?
If so, what specifically can I (or we) do to change, or to allow God to change me (us)?
:)

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, is there something about my OP that makes you feel you need to address me personally in the way that you have done?

i kept my last post personal seeing you asked a personal question.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SongOnTheWind

May 7, 2021
Croydon
✟26,712.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i kept my last post personal seeing you asked a personal question.
Ah :)
I was actually responding to your previous post, which I also found rather personal. I don't want to make a huge deal, but after two consecutive posts of the same nature, seeing as I wanted to keep the thread about us Christians, as laid out in the OP, I really thought you were zoning in on me, lol.

Perhaps you were using the collective 'you' in the previous post? I don't know :)

So, how can we as Christians protect ourselves against pride? How should we take a compliment? How should we take a criticism? How good at owning up to mistakes should we be?

Is there such a thing as being too humble? :eyes:

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there such a thing as being too humble?

Chesterton spoke of this a bit in the earlier chapters of his book "Orthodoxy" -
it's a wonderful book. There is a ordered balance of the virtues; they are not only there as opposites to oppose the vices, but also they keep each other in check. To be too humble, to question or doubt even the things which you should not, yes, to the point of inaction when what is called for is action.

It is in Chapter 3, the Suicide of Thought - an excerpt

The modern world is not evil; in some ways the modern world is far too good. It is full of wild and wasted virtues. When a religious scheme is shattered (as Christianity was shattered at the Reformation), it is not merely the vices that are let loose. The vices are, indeed, let loose, and they wander and do damage. But the virtues are let loose also; and the virtues wander more wildly, and the virtues do more terrible damage. The modern world is full of the old Christian virtues gone mad. The virtues have gone mad because they have been isolated from each other and are wandering alone. Thus some scientists care for truth; and their truth is pitiless. Thus some humanitarians only care for pity; and their pity (I am sorry to say) is often untruthful. For example, Mr. Blatchford attacks Christianity because he is mad on one Christian virtue: the merely mystical and almost irrational virtue of charity. He has a strange idea that he will make it easier to forgive sins by saying that there are no sins to forgive. Mr. Blatchford is not only an early Christian, he is the only early Christian who ought really to have been eaten by lions. For in his case the pagan accusation is really true: his mercy would mean mere anarchy. He really is the enemy of the human race— because he is so human. As the other extreme, we may take the acrid realist, who has deliberately killed in himself all human pleasure in happy tales or in the healing of the heart. Torquemada tortured people physically for the sake of moral truth. Zola tortured people morally for the sake of physical truth. But in Torquemada's time there was at least a system that could to some extent make righteousness and peace kiss each other. Now they do not even bow. But a much stronger case than these two of truth and pity can be found in the remarkable case of the dislocation of humility...

You can find the whole audio book free here in the link below to listen to Chapter by Chapter; I have not listened to the whole of it, but at least through this part, it is utterly delightful. Chesterton I would describe as C.S. Lewis, but carrying a musket ;)

LibriVox

(or it text if you prefer, but I love librivox audio books)
https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/130/pg130.html

Chapter 2, The Maniac, is something of a talk of a man without humility, and quite timeless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0