How does a Christian respond to inappropriate jokes?

pinkjess

There she goes...at the speed of sound
Feb 24, 2009
✟85,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I go visit some family of mine often and some of them will make sexual jokes around me because they know I don't like them (probably because I say that I am a "proper young woman" and don't want to hear it) but sometimes I laugh (not on purpose of course) but maybe I laugh because it makes me uncomfortable?

How should I respond when they do this???

BadHabit

Does not play well with others
Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't respond at all. If you give no reaction whatsoever, they'll stop enjoying antagonizing you. If it were me, I'd just look at them and then when they deliver the punchline just say "hmm" and bring up a different topic. Sounds like the type of family I'd only visit when absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0

NOTWHATIWAS

I take my stage direction from God.
Jun 27, 2016
Oregon, USA
✟20,309.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
I go visit some family of mine often and some of them will make sexual jokes around me because they know I don't like them (probably because I say that I am a "proper young woman" and don't want to hear it) but sometimes I laugh (not on purpose of course) but maybe I laugh because it makes me uncomfortable?

Just walk away. It's OK to do this, even to family. I have had to in the past and they finally got the message.

Reactions: pinkjess
Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
oh girl, my own son-in law and my two grandsons like tying stuff on me too just to see my reaction. I am use to it since this has been a lot of years now. I have a couple of ways I do it, one is I do not smile, I roll my eyes up and say,ok you had your fun are you done now and my grandsons will say, yes granny and go to something else, my son in law justs laughs. My daughter tries to stop it. Other times I play with my one fear old Great-granddaughter and just ignore them. But as far as other family, we dont have anyone who does that, I came from a family with many cousins, there was 28 I think. We were all raised in Christian homes. One thing I wont do is laugh at dirty jokes though, but thats me, I just wont let them think I think it is ok. Your family, like my Grandsons are just testing you.

Reactions: pinkjess
Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The laughing is a response we're trained to do even if it is not funny.

What I do is just remain quiet. We are not obligated to respond. I also make a point of trying to be judgemental toward them. I let the joke blow past me and not affect me basically, because I am not a part of it.

Upvote 0

Cernunnos

Well. . .
May 28, 2014
Faith
✟16,330.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Had a guy at work that knew I was a Christian and he HATES Christians, so for months, he would sit in the lunch room and make really horrible jokes about my food (I eat healthy and high quality) and how it looks like the sexual organs of a _______ or the bowel movements of a _________, you get the idea. He would also show really bizarre inappropriate content on his phone to co-workers and make really derisive comments about Christians & how bad and hypocritical we all are.

After a couple of months of this, constantly escalating & I could tell he was trying to get a rise out of me, so he could turn around and say "see, Christians don't really turn the other cheek, even this one is a hypocrite" . . . I simply said "Oh come on! Surely you have some other kind of joke" and he started the "oh, did I offend you" bit that I was expecting & so I replied "No, but you have been telling some variation of the same jokes night after night, day after day for months & it is just SOOO old. Do ya have anything else? Is there ANY other way to get chuckles at the table, or is that all the humor you have?"

Since then, he has stayed away from jokes about my food, hasn't shown inappropriate content but once or twice & we are getting along much better. We got on good at the work stations, it was just on breaks that . . . but that is resolved now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In a restaurant I speak up. Something like, "Please, could you hold off on the cuss words?" It I get a retort, I reply, "My wife and I are Christians. We came here to enjoy dinner. Please don't use those words around us." If it continues, I call the manager. I let the manager decide what to do. If told to leave, we leave, with our refund. If the situation calms down, we stay.

If it happens when my family or extended family is present, I instantly tell him or her or them to stop. "We do not use that language in this house." They can comply or leave. My prayer over dinner or before everyone departs will include calling upon the Holy Spirit to remind us of who we are in Christ Jesus.

In the latter case it is rare, indeed, to hear bad words or ugly jokes because they know where my wife and I stand.

Upvote 0