moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some of my professors use power point—usually if they do they will post it so you can print the notes ahead of time. But usually I take notes by hand. So for I’ve done well in all of my classes so I don’t feel like I need to change the way I’m doing it.

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
With a computer? -sometimes
By hand? -most of the time
Combination of both? -sometimes

Do you record the voice of the lecturer? - sometimes

Do you even video the lecturer? - no

How do you organise your notes? - in a notebook, in files on my computer, or I label mini-cassettes and keep them in a bag

Upvote 0

Mrs. Luther073082

Commit to the LORD whatever you do - Proverbs 16:3
Jan 18, 2006
✟41,836.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Some of my professors use power point—usually if they do they will post it so you can print the notes ahead of time. But usually I take notes by hand. So for I’ve done well in all of my classes so I don’t feel like I need to change the way I’m doing it.

A lot of my professors have lecture notes that we can print from blackboard and write on during class.

Upvote 0

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
A Pineapple under the Sea
✟23,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have a desktop right now, so that cancels the computer out.
I take most of mine by hand. And study with flash cards or some variation. I've been doing good so far (TY Lord :bow:) so I don't feel the need to change either.

Recording their voice though is a good idea....

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

badly.

I have a folder with a full pad of paper that goes to every lesson and has all my notes handwritten amongst allot of doodling and shopping lists memos etc. This on a good term is organized every week or just left as is to ensure none of the notes are in order apart from when the class took place (I don't write the dates on my notes or homework either.)

Upvote 0

The Julikenz

God is not a misogynist
May 17, 2004
Sydney.
✟17,969.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have an excellent system, I know what works for me and I am disciplined and consistent with it.

I handwrite most of my notes, as well as notes from the readings and tutorials. When lecturers use powerpoint and have notes available online, I download them but never use them in isolation or as the base of my understanding, they're something I add to, or use as reference.

Audio doesn't work for me, I don't have the attention span to listen to the whole thing again. I also don't take notes on a laptop, because the formatting I use for the organization of my information is key, and sitting there coding everything wastes lots of time and distracts me.

Reactions: rita727
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A lot of my professors have lecture notes that we can print from blackboard and write on during class.

Me too. It's really convenient. But I'm pretty good at taking my own notes, so it's not really that big of a deal for me.

I have an excellent system, I know what works for me and I am disciplined and consistent with it.

I handwrite most of my notes, as well as notes from the readings and tutorials. When lecturers use powerpoint and have notes available online, I download them but never use them in isolation or as the base of my understanding, they're something I add to, or use as reference.

Audio doesn't work for me, I don't have the attention span to listen to the whole thing again. I also don't take notes on a laptop, because the formatting I use for the organization of my information is key, and sitting there coding everything wastes lots of time and distracts me.

Yeah, I've never been able to comfortably type notes, and I never take my laptop to class. I like writing notes by hand. It feels so much more fluid than typing. It's elegant. Actual writing by hand is a lost art today.

Upvote 0

snoopyloopysk8a

#1 Stunna
Nov 19, 2003
Killa Cali
Visit site
✟18,777.00
Faith
SDA
Politics
US-Democrat
With a computer? By hand? Combination of both? - depends on the class, but my last few classes were all by computer, save for precal which i'm taking now which is by hand

Do you record the voice of the lecturer? - no

Do you even video the lecturer? - no

How do you organise your notes? - with an org tree by subject

How would you like to notes if your current set up isn't ideal? - in my ideal setup

Upvote 0

BlueJ

Dec 27, 2005
Bronx, New York
✟8,144.00
Faith
Christian
Most of my note taking is by hand. I like to create my own cods and write down question that I can either find my self or ask the professor. Now, typing notes can be helpful. But I live on New York, and I don't feel safe with my laptop exposed on the subway. I can just wipe out my not books and start studying.

I type down notes when I have to summarize or gather information on an essay or report. Using paper to right a draft can pretty ignoring because I have to keep erasing or throwing away the paper and using another. With typing I can just delete.

I also like to highlight, it's easy and fast. I use about two or three different colors. For example, I'll use yellow for highlighting important concepts, and red for terms and definitions. Now I will read the chapter first while I highlight than read it again for more clarity.

Some classes uses blackboard, which is cool because the professor have the notes already for you to study, I just go to class, log on to blackboard and then read the chapters.

And then there's the flash cards. A fast way to memorize notes.

Upvote 0

EspressoDuck

EspressoDuck, not ExpressDuck.
Jun 1, 2002
School
Visit site
✟9,575.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use my laptop to take notes if I am in a big lecture- usually a science class. However, if it is smaller, like any number of my english classes, I take them by hand. It's easier to show that you are interested and engaged in a small classroom setting if you don't have the barrier of a laptop between you and the professor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jelvenko

Veteran
Oct 4, 2005
Florida
✟11,559.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me it's a combination of 3 things.

Some of my classes I take all the notes by hand. (Like my math classes.)
Some I use most ly laptop. (The teachers in those classes go too fast for me to hand write the notes out.)
And finally, the majority of my teachers put the notes online so we can download them. I always do that, then add in more things the teacher discusses in class that isn't on the notes.

I actually had a teacher though that refused to let us use our laptops to take notes in class, because he thought that we wouldn't pay attention and would instead go online and be on MySpace or something like that. Except, the internet in that class room doesn't work. (Something is wrong with the WiFi in there.) It was annoying, because he is one of the teachers that goes too fast to write out the notes, and he never put notes online for us.

As far as organizing notes and studying... Most of my teachers would give us a review sheet a few days before each test. I would take the review sheet, then go through my notes and find the answers. I would then write the answers down on the review sheet.

Also, when I take notes, I don't put the date on them. But I do put down what chapter/section the notes are over so I can quickly find it in the book if something doesn't make sense.

Usually I try and have them in outline form. That's what works the best for me.

Upvote 0

dinosaurroar

Jan 20, 2008
✟15,222.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I write my notes. In lots of colors :) I usually do it in an outline format. My Psych teacher does powerpoints, and posts them on the class website so we can print them out and just highlite what we need. Some classes I do wish I had a voice recorder for, though..

Upvote 0