How do you represent Christianity to new age "spiritual" people (Yoga, meditation, etc)

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm really shocked at how pervasive "spiritual" thinking is today. Even in many churches they have yoga classes. Now of course there are many degrees of yoga spirituality and hopefully they are doing just the movements. But it used to be that way with almost all yoga classes. Now it seems most are quite openly spiritual. If you look at many holiday destinations it would be hard to find a single one that is in a nature setting that isn't heavily bent on new age mysticism. Its so colossally widespread. And they're doing it because of the money. They don't have to provide much and can charge a whopping amount. Satan helps them contrive an enticing resort experience. It seems like half the people online are "life coaches" and so often they are involved in mysticism and spirituality and by spirituality I am not talking about the Holy Spirit. No, when they pray they pray to "the universe", not even thinking how absurd this is. Do we talk to empty space? Why would we pray to something we can't even identify? Every one has a different opinion of who they are praying to. They know it has many parallels to Hinduism yet won't admit it. They want a feel good spiritual experience where there are few of any rules. Sound familiar?

So how do you approach someone like this? Because they are really convinced of the truth in their beliefs. Another factor is the physicality of a lot of new age activities. It can shape their bodies very well so they retain their youth far better than most Christians and everyone else. But this is merely exercise and anyone can exercise. (We should encourage exercise FAR more in our churches, people. Christians should set a fine example. Instead most are just as obese and lethargic as everyone else.) My point is they have a mental state where "everything is OK and good and peaceful" and a phyiscal state where they feel physically very good. How do you talk to someone like this? Of course later in life they revert back to where they were before and realize it was a huge waste of time. Hopefully they still exercise though. But in the meantime they are convinced of this authenticity.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think I would build on the commonalities I have with the other person. If the other person talked about the value of meditation in their lives, I might talk about some of the similar experiences I've had in the practice of contemplative prayer in a Christian context. If the other person talked about their closeness to nature, I might say that I've felt that too, with the added note that in my faith there's the idea that God is separate from (though connected to) the creation. That kind of thing -- compare our spiritual practices, in a respectful way, noting some of our similarities and differences.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What bothers me is all this talk against "yoga" and "mysticism" without the slightest clue as to what it is. It seems prevalent in this day and age for most Christians to simply regurgitate misinformation from someone else and spread it like wildfire.
No, when they pray they pray to "the universe", not even thinking how absurd this is. Do we talk to empty space? Why would we pray to something we can't even identify? Every one has a different opinion of who they are praying to.
I don't pray to a literary character, either. I've seen prayers be answered by Muslims, but does that mean that it was mere coincidence, because their deity is presented differently than the one in the bible? Like you said, everyone has a different opinion of who they are praying to, best not to objectify the being of God as a literal person. We use such language to aid us in our understanding of the divine, but God is not confined to the limits of such finite descriptions.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm really shocked at how pervasive "spiritual" thinking is today. Even in many churches they have yoga classes. Now of course there are many degrees of yoga spirituality and hopefully they are doing just the movements. But it used to be that way with almost all yoga classes. Now it seems most are quite openly spiritual. If you look at many holiday destinations it would be hard to find a single one that is in a nature setting that isn't heavily bent on new age mysticism. Its so colossally widespread. And they're doing it because of the money. They don't have to provide much and can charge a whopping amount. Satan helps them contrive an enticing resort experience. It seems like half the people online are "life coaches" and so often they are involved in mysticism and spirituality and by spirituality I am not talking about the Holy Spirit. No, when they pray they pray to "the universe", not even thinking how absurd this is. Do we talk to empty space? Why would we pray to something we can't even identify? Every one has a different opinion of who they are praying to. They know it has many parallels to Hinduism yet won't admit it. They want a feel good spiritual experience where there are few of any rules. Sound familiar?

So how do you approach someone like this? Because they are really convinced of the truth in their beliefs. Another factor is the physicality of a lot of new age activities. It can shape their bodies very well so they retain their youth far better than most Christians and everyone else. But this is merely exercise and anyone can exercise. (We should encourage exercise FAR more in our churches, people. Christians should set a fine example. Instead most are just as obese and lethargic as everyone else.) My point is they have a mental state where "everything is OK and good and peaceful" and a phyiscal state where they feel physically very good. How do you talk to someone like this? Of course later in life they revert back to where they were before and realize it was a huge waste of time. Hopefully they still exercise though. But in the meantime they are convinced of this authenticity.
The first step would not to be condescending. We come from different backgrounds and our own unique journeys with long winding ways. We each have a sacred story within our souls. The great advantage to the Christian journey is that it is personal. Although there is still mystery it is not abstract and impersonal. Always going back to the words and deed of Jesus and how they speak to us in our daily lives opens the mystery to realization.

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just like anyone else. The gospel doesn’t change for each person. If you have an open door go through it. If you can gear it to a yoga person do that. But you aren’t going to be accepted every time. You live and you learn’. But don’t condemn or get mad. Tell them in a love of God way.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What bothers me is all this talk against "yoga" and "mysticism" without the slightest clue as to what it is. It seems prevalent in this day and age for most Christians to simply regurgitate misinformation from someone else and spread it like wildfire.

I don't pray to a literary character, either. I've seen prayers be answered by Muslims, but does that mean that it was mere coincidence, because their deity is presented differently than the one in the bible? Like you said, everyone has a different opinion of who they are praying to, best not to objectify the being of God as a literal person. We use such language to aid us in our understanding of the divine, but God is not confined to the limits of such finite descriptions.
I thought this thread was only for Christians.

• Winner
Reactions: Aaron112
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just like anyone else. The gospel doesn’t change for each person. If you have an open door go through it. If you can gear it to a yoga person do that. But you aren’t going to be accepted every time. You live and you learn’. But don’t condemn or get mad. Tell them in a love of God way.
Some specificity might be helpful! I think we know the basics. I myself don't usually attempt to walk through a closed door. C'mon Unqualified. You can do better than that!

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first step would not to be condescending. We come from different backgrounds and our own unique journeys with long winding ways. We each have a sacred story within our souls. The great advantage to the Christian journey is that it is personal. Although there is still mystery it is not abstract and impersonal. Always going back to the words and deed of Jesus and how they speak to us in our daily lives opens the mystery to realization.
Not being condescending is the hardest part of this I find. At least other "religions" have more logic in them. But new age stuff is just so insanely ludicrous. I guess they really grate on my nerves. I tend to thrive on logic and pragmaticism and new age thinking is the farthest possible from that. It is challenging which is precisely the reason I sought help here.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I would build on the commonalities I have with the other person. If the other person talked about the value of meditation in their lives, I might talk about some of the similar experiences I've had in the practice of contemplative prayer in a Christian context. If the other person talked about their closeness to nature, I might say that I've felt that too, with the added note that in my faith there's the idea that God is separate from (though connected to) the creation. That kind of thing -- compare our spiritual practices, in a respectful way, noting some of our similarities and differences.
Yeah, definitely common ground is best. Its a neutral position you both can relate to. Good point. I just find so few new agers will admit anything is lacking in their life when it clearly is yet they lie to themselves all day long. Maybe that's one of the hardest aspects of it. When someone can't recognize the obvious in their own lives its really hard to suggest a solution or way out of their quagmire.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's a ridiculous Biblical quote to bring into this discussion. You clearly don't comprehend its meaning or context. Its also fraudulent to suggest it has relevance here. Read the chapter. It might take a while to sink in. Then you'll see the wisdom of those words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟171,072.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
As an Oriental, I think Oriental need find why they confuse about the Biblical Monotheism and their root of Monotheism in Bible.

For example:
Gen 25:6 but to the sons of Abraham’s concubines, Abraham gave gifts. He sent them away from Isaac his son, while he yet lived, eastward, to the east country.

gifts:
H4979
מתּנה
mattânâh
mat-taw-naw'
Feminine of H4976; a present; specifically (in a good sense) a sacrificial offering, (in a bad sense) a bribe: - gift.

Repeat a phrase or name is a common method of Buddhism. Some Jewish Buddhists listen to Sanskrit words with melody. These words have some power to erase unhappy memories. But this way can not build a way to understand Biblical words directly.

Provided just for reference:
Noahide Buddhism and Hinduism

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not being condescending is the hardest part of this I find. At least other "religions" have more logic in them. But new age stuff is just so insanely ludicrous. I guess they really grate on my nerves. I tend to thrive on logic and pragmaticism and new age thinking is the farthest possible from that. It is challenging which is precisely the reason I sought help here.
Yes, some of it stretched into all sort of strange things. Especially when it comes to supposed health benefits I also want to differentiate between clinical evidence based practices and non validated stuff. On the other hand, I also appreciate an openness to a wider understanding of God and a the universe. I don't automatically discount or even fear something just because it is not in the Bible.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I think we are created as spiritual beings so if we reject God then that spiritual void has to be filled with something. If you notice these new age spiritual beliefs are a one way relationship. There is no interaction from nature, rocks, trees, stars, the universe. People may feel at one with the universe but the universe cannot be in a relationship with you. I think Paul mentions coming across a group of people worshipping their local idols made of stone and he tells them 'why worship these idols which are human made and temporal, and not a living God who they can have relationship with.

I think Romans 1:22-25 applies here as well
Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

People worship Gods creation rather than God and give nature and humans god like abilities. I think we are all looking for something transcendent beyond the material world because we know it doesn't offer the big questions in life. I think todays generation has been cultivated by past generations which have moved away from God and become more worldly. So people put their faith in the world and it lets them down. That is why many turn to mind altering substances to help transcend this world.

I also have noticed in the media especially Hollywood icons and celebs and how they often include religious icons and symbols in their performances. Its like a form of worship but to some unknown god or entity or spirit. There are atheist groups who are creating religious type meetings where they can deo all the things that religious worship does but instead making humanity the icon.

So it seems we cannot get away from some sort of spirituality and its just a case of which one is the truth. I think God is the only true spirit that can fill our void and restore balance and peace in a world of chaos.

Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So it seems we cannot get away from some sort of spirituality and its just a case of which one is the truth. I think God is the only true spirit that can fill our void and restore balance and peace in a world of chaos.
And yet there have been billions who find that balance and peace through other religions. As if the God we worship might also be effective through them.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And yet there have been billions who find that balance and peace through other religions. As if the God we worship might also be effective through them.
Are you saying that the Christian God can work through other religions or beliefs. I think 'belief' itself is a powerful thing and can make a difference regardless of what you believe in. Some people use other people and it helps them to an extent. But can become unhealthy when it becomes the guiding force for everything.

Research shows that belief is a natural cognitive state for humans. So we will go looking for something to believe in to satisfy that natural spiritual needs. But just like we have a natural need for food to satisfy our physical needs some foods are best for ultimate nourishment.

So its a case that all beliefs in the spiritual and transcendent can fill our spiritual needs to a point just like all foods can fill our physical needs to a point. Just like there are only certain foods that can ultimately fulfill our physical needs optimally, its only certain a certain belief in God that ultimately fulfills our spiritual needs.

Just like some people can put their faith in diet fads which ultimately don't do the best job people can put their faith in various ideas and entities that don't ultimately do the best job.

Satan fools many by mimicking God not by being obviously different. The best way to trick people into believing something is to mimic the authentic because it can look and feel like the real thing and its hard to tell but its not quiet the real thing and will ultimately miss the mark. Bit like leatherette lol.

I think the interesting point is the fact that humans have this natural inclination to believe from birth in divine and transcendent ideas and phenomena. So perhaps rather than some saying that belief in supernatural entities is unreal and naïve perhaps we should encourage belief.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What new age practices isn't really "spirituality" it's more an exercise of the paranormal.

Most of what is produced comes from humans. If it becomes "spiritual" they tend to get scared.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
When asking about new age spirituality, it's kind of like asking what category of hurricane a fart is?

Electromagnetic phenomena based on human emotions =/= spirituality.

Understanding the distinction is important.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying that the Christian God can work through other religions or beliefs. I think 'belief' itself is a powerful thing and can make a difference regardless of what you believe in
Yes, the Christian God can work through other religions or beliefs. And yes belief is an amazingly powerful capacity we have.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, the Christian God can work through other religions or beliefs.
I think Christian spirituality is different. Its directed specifically on Christ and the Holy spirit. It involves a recognition of God as creator and ultimately holding all things together including nature and our place in the overall scheme of things as part of Gods Kingdom. This will include living according to Gods truth as revealed by the Holy spirit and will produce the fruits of the spirit as mentioned by Paul in Galatians 5:22-23.

I agree that God has created us with the ability to be spiritual, to experience transcendental states beyond the material world and feel at one and part of something greater. Maslow's Hierarchy of human needs has spirituality and transcendence at the peak as the ultimate state for humans to achieve wellbeing and extend beyond themselves.

And yes belief is an amazingly powerful capacity we have.
I agree, research shows that people with religious belief and spirituality have better physical and mental health outcomes.

So as humans we need spiritual nourishment like we need nourishment physically. Some ways of eating are ultimately best just like some beliefs and spirituality are ultimately best. There can be evil spirits which are spiritually corrupt. people can also mistake emotion for spirituality.

I don't think because spirituality can seem vague or mystical that we cannot determine what is best for our spiritual health just like we can with our physical and psychological dimensions. I believe that the only way we can fined ultimate fulfillment spiritually is through Christ. Whereas New age spirituality can be many things according to subjective experience and therefore more about self expression rather than denial of self into something that transcends self.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe that the only way we can fined ultimate fulfillment spiritually is through Christ. Whereas New age spirituality can be many things according to subjective experience and therefore more about self expression rather than denial of self into something that transcends self.
Yes, but wat exactly does "through Christ" mean? Is it simply an intellectual decision to accept and believe? Or is there more to it? I believe he works through all things and we do not recognize for the most part. We are too literal.

Upvote 0