How do you pray?

tuantran

Dec 16, 2009
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was born in a Catholic family, I went to church every sunday, enroll bible study class. I found that the religion taught me to be a good person but they don't teach me how to become a good person. How to you pratice? How do you forgive someone? or how do you love your enemy? I've try but fell many times. I sometime got upset at my wife and my kids when they did something that I don't like. I pray but deep inside me still get upset.

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Being upset isn't a sin, it is a feeling. It is okay to be upset, it is what you do with those feelings that can be bad or good.

Loving enemies is tough. Depending on context. Sometimes, like in the case of terrorists, the most loving thing to do is to kill them quickly & humanely. Sometimes, like in the case of a rival at work, the most loving thing to do is to support them in their job (sometimes this will have the effect of you looking like a team player to your boss) and maybe turning them into a friend. Always it depends on context.

Forgiving is tough too. That is one I have a hard time with too. I think the important thing is, trying, and continue to try. Eventually you wake up and realize you aren't burddened with the unforgiveness anymore . . .sometimes it takes a long time to get there.

A book of wisdom I like says
A man is a good retainer to the extent that he earnestly places importance in his master. This is the highest sort of retainer. If one is born into a prominent family that goes back for generations, it is sufficient to deeply consider the matter of obligation to one's ancestors, to lay down one's body and mind, and to earnestly esteem one's master. It is further good fortune if, more than this, one has wisdom and talent and can use them appropriately. But even a person who is good for nothing and exceedingly clumsy will be a reliable retainer if only he has the determination to think earnestly of his master. Having only wisdom and talent is the lowest tier of usefulness.
From the First Chapter. You know who your master is, striving for His Glory is what it is all about.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do you forgive someone?

You look at the sin debt you owe God compare that to what is owed to you, and you ask yourself. Do I want what I owe God to be forgiven? If you do then you are obligated to forgive others what they owe you. You can not forgive, then you will not be forgiven.

how do you love your enemy?
You ask God to show you how. He won't make it just happen, He will give you oppertunities to do so.

Upvote 0

Jakep069

Dec 16, 2009
Darwin, Australia
✟15,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
I don't think it's that hard.

I am only a new Christian (RC) and I was very scared to pray start with. I brought a book 'Christian Pray For Dummies'. What a great read WoW! Don't get all techical with how to speak with formally language, but just speak from the heart with love and talk respectfully. That's a good way to start. Acknowledge God as the 'Creator of Heavan and Earth, of all that is seen...' Let Him know that you honestly believe in him. Tell Him that you have sinned and come to him as a sinner and am sorry. Then ask. I don't ask for anything specific. I say something like ' please guide me and lead me to do your will' I have a friend that prays and asks 'I want you to give me a sign that you want me to buy that pair of shoes...'

It is very hard to actually forgive someone. I had a bad run recently and find it hard to forgive. I am tollerent of their individuallity and accept them as a person is all their glory as an individual with their faults and I accept them.It's probably not forgivness, but it is tollerance, acceptance and understanding.

I took this view after I read the following:

Judging Others - Matthew 7:5

1 “Do not judge so that you will not be judged. 2 “For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you. 3 “Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? 4 “Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ and behold, the log is in your own eye? 5 “You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

Upvote 0

stella_ku

Jan 25, 2010
Darwin, Australia
✟7,698.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Liberals
i try and pray as much and as often as i can. but in today's busy working society it is very hard. when i do go every sunday, my prayers run through my mind as thoughts. they say that you should pray from deep down inside your heart, which is something im still trying to figure out...

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear tuantran. Jesus told us that God is our Heavenly Father, and He loves us. Pray to God as our Father in Heaven, and you will find that it becomes better and easier. We have been given 2 all-important Commandments, 1) Love God with all our hearts, all our souls, and all our minds. 2) Love our neighbour, all others, friend or foe, as we love ourselves. That becomes easier when we try to treat all we know, and all we meet, AS we like to be treated. You could start with a smile, and also a helping hand. That is not hard, and will become easier and easier. Jesus will notice, and He will give you His Love, His Joy and His Peace, to share with each other. As forgiving others, try and remember that God will forgive us, as we forgive others. At first it might take some effort, but God will help you, " just ask and you will receive." You know the saying, " if at first you won`t succeed, try and try again." As long as we are sincere, and God will know our thoughts and wishes. Loving your enemy sounds worse than it is, to love you enemy means " treat him, or her, as you would like to be treated." No kissing and cuddling, just accept and fair treatment." If you do not try, you will never know, tuantran. May God bless you in your endeavours. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

DeWeese89

Jan 17, 2010
✟7,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't matter how you pray or what you say, Sometimes its hard to get the right words to come out, But God knows your heart.

I have a bad temper and sometimes I get really angry with my husband, even if its something little. I had bought The Love Dare book and it has really helped with my anger! IF we love God, I mean truly Love God, then its easier to love his creations, whether thats people we see in our lives everyday, or our enemies. After we learn to truly love.... Everything else comes a lot easier!

~Now these three remain: Faith, hope, and Love. But the greatest of these is Love. 1 Corinthians 13:13

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I have to be patient.

Only if you want God to be patient with you.

Mt18:
21Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?"

22Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.[f]
23"Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand talents[g] was brought to him. 25Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt.
26"The servant fell on his knees before him. 'Be patient with me,' he begged, 'and I will pay back everything.' 27The servant's master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go.
28"But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii.[h] He grabbed him and began to choke him. 'Pay back what you owe me!' he demanded.
29"His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, 'Be patient with me, and I will pay you back.'
30"But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. 31When the other servants saw what had happened, they were greatly distressed and went and told their master everything that had happened.
32"Then the master called the servant in. 'You wicked servant,' he said, 'I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. 33Shouldn't you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?' 34In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. 35"This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart."

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was born in a Catholic family, I went to church every sunday, enroll bible study class. I found that the religion taught me to be a good person but they don't teach me how to become a good person. How to you pratice? How do you forgive someone? or how do you love your enemy? I've try but fell many times. I sometime got upset at my wife and my kids when they did something that I don't like. I pray but deep inside me still get upset.

You're right when you say religion does not teach the "how's" of these things. Prayer, recognition of problems, desires to change, personal commitment to changing and strengthening character, trial and error, and time produces these things.

It is not a sin to feel emotion - anger, upset. It is a sin to hang on to these emotions, dwelling on them and allowing them to grow until they start chipping away at the good in you. People get angry and that is normal, but holding onto anger is abnormal and destructive. Do not beat yourself up about normal reactionary emotion, but examine why - if you do - have lingering emotions you can't shake that are negative.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How do you pray? By sticking to a prayer rule.

To get you started, here are some helpful resources regarding prayer:
P r a y e r
Let us
Abbreviated Prayerbook
The Message of the Lord's Prayer

May God continue to guide you to Himself.
crosseo.gif

Upvote 0