Romansthruphilemon

Feb 6, 2017
Concord, NH
✟59,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You need to magnify the Apostle Paul's writings not minimize or reject them. Your salvation doctrine is found in his writings - 1 Cor 15:1-4 How that Christ died for your sins, was buried, and rose again according to the scriptures.

You are focusing on doctrine that was given to Israel (the Jews who were under the law at that time). Jesus told them to sell everything they own. Jesus is speaking to us today through our Apostle Paul and we should magnify his office. When you study his epistles you will see that Jesus has done everything for your salvation and when you trust in him then you will have assurance.

• Winner
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2015
✟9,422.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I only read the original post, haven't read all of the replies yet. But to the original poster, I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one. I'm there right now, and after reading 1 John 10's of times, it's really hard for me to say that I'm saved by looking at the fruit in my life. Yes I believe in God, but it seems like 1 John says that isn't enough. So, this post doesn't have much substance, just letting you know there are many others, such as myself, in the same boat.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
How do you know that you're saved?
I cannot say that I have ever had the assurance that I am saved. I have always doubted my salvation and for quite a while I was absolutely convinced I was still lost. I desire something greater than I've known before, the only problem is I can't describe what I'm looking for because I don't know what it is. Sometimes I think I'm psyching myself up to something that doesn't exist, and I just need to be happy where I am and just do better and obey more. A huge problem for me is obeying, which for me alot of the time means denying myself all sorts of foods that I enjoy, and even fasting whenever I'm not at work. It means not going and having fun doing things like fishing, I have a super weak conscience and it condemns me for almost everything so it is harder for me to obey than it should be. I will say that there are many legit sins that I struggle with like having hateful thoughts towards others, judgemental thoughts, lustful thoughts, and the sorts, but I really try not to let it show to others and to stop doing them. I try to live a morally right life every day and try to do the right thing no matter how much of an inconvenience it is.

I also think I need to share the gospel with people more, but when I do, I get convicted that I don't even really know Jesus so who am I to tell them what to believe. I can't tell someone about how he saved me because I don't have any assurance of it myself. Recently I 've begun again to think I'm not really saved and I get a very strong desire to seek out the Lord , but then something in me tells me I've been saved but just walking out of step with God because I'm not doing good enough. I have so many dreams where death is hunting me down in some sort of way and I'm always just narrowly escaping, only to have to keep running. I'm not someone who is super into dream interpretation but I think our dreams can sometimes at least be a reflection of what is going on in our life at the moment.

I guess I just need to know if I'm really saved or not. It would be stupid if I went through life thinking I was when I wasn't, and also stupid if it was vice versa. I really want something more and I've been praying for that because if I had an assurance that would just be amazing. I want to be as confident as the people that wrote some of the old hymns like Sweetly Resting (in the rifted rock), Blessed Assurance, All the way my savior leads me, etc,...

I want peace so much, but when I think k that and search it out I just begin to think I just need to do more stuff like clean my room more and eat less and never go out and have fun, start keeping the sabbath, praying better, etc...

Sometimes I've even thought in order to come to Jesus I must be homeless, never talk to my parents again, and reject Paul's writings. I read the Bible a lot so I'm well acquainted with passages that contradict these notions, but somehow my mind twists the scripture to make them mean things they probably don't mean. I used to be scared to read the Bible because I always thought God was telling me through it to quit my job and go be homeless in the big city etc...
You have went through a pivotal change as a believer in Christ, and you know it helps...

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to watch those videos later R-thru-P, thank you. I ended up not going to the training for the new job, which was stupid. So I decided that since I have some money saved up I would start my own landscaping business. Now my conscience is condemning me for doing that, and tells me just to get a job were I have a boss. I don't want to do it because I already had an opportunity for that... a really good one too! And my conscience condemned out of it. I feel like this whole thing is never ending, and if I always obey my conscience, I'll just wind up with a really bad reputation and no good work history to leave on a resume, all the while never attaining any peace despite all these efforts.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My apologies, I'm just very distraught and yes confused right now. I am reading through Paul's epistles right now to try to understand more accurately what he is saying.

Well, we know that Satan hates seekers after God, and he will always seek to dissuade them. Just remember that faith and trust in God, comes from a personal relationship with the Savior ---the Lord Jesus, the Christ of God (read John 14 carefully). That is what the Apostle Paul is also confirming.

Intellectual knowledge is good to bring us to the truth, but to understand it we MUST receive it by faith, and thank the Lord Jesus for dying on the Cross for our personal sins. When one makes the Lord Jesus their lord and is devoted to Him daily, they will be "born again" by the indwelling Holy Spirit from God-the Father. That is the essence of salvation, assurance, peace and joy.

• Useful
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been baptized. And sometimes I wonder if I'm just looking for a feeling and need to stop. I can look back to a point in time where I was one hundred percent assured that Jesus died for me and knowing that love just pierced my heart. Even after that though I started doubting within a couple days. So sometimes I think I need to stop going off of feelings and just practice taking God at His word, but one of my biggest fears is being comfortable and fooling myself when I'm really lost.
Hi and God bless you for seeking truth, wisdom, and understanding about salvation. As Tom put it, just believe, confess, and accept Jesus as your Lord and savior, and be baptized. Once you have done that you are a born again creation. A child of the living God and He is now your Father. This is where you begin your journey of developing a close loving relationship with Him. Intimate and sincere and most importantly where you surrender your ways of life and adopt His ways. I can remember driving down the highway and talking with Him and getting weird looks from people passing by. I talk to God out loud while driving. Did you know that you are so precious to God that He will let NOTHING snatch you away from Him now that you are His! He is your Father, your Abba (daddy) God and as earthly parents are with raising their children, our Heavenly Father is even more so. He loves us more than we can comprehend and when we mess up He corrects us and even disciplines us but He will never stop loving you no matter how many times you mess up. You ARE saved! AMEN!!!

Upvote 0

JWO

FaithWithoutWorks IsDead
Oct 7, 2017
Aurora
✟906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You need to magnify the Apostle Paul's writings not minimize or reject them. Your salvation doctrine is found in his writings - 1 Cor 15:1-4

Whyever do you think that?
Jesus says we are to be judged by the very words that Jesus spoke... that those words came from the Father, and that His words are eternal life. What more do you need?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Romansthruphilemon

Feb 6, 2017
Concord, NH
✟59,907.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whyever do you think that?
Jesus says we are to be judged by the very words that Jesus spoke... that those words came from the Father, and that His words are eternal life. What more do you need?
Jesus in his earthly ministry was dealing with the Jews who were under the law. Jesus said he came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel. That does not include you and I, we are not part of the house of Israel. Paul confirms this when he said that Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision.

Paul said that he preaches Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery. He said that there were things that were hidden since the world began and only revealed by him. During Jesus earthly ministry those things were still hidden, hadn't been revealed yet.

Paul says that we are to follow him as he followed Christ. Paul said that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. Paul even says "my gospel" is the gospel that saves.

When churches preach sermon after sermon that is 95% out of Mathew, Mark, Luke, and John (Jesus in his earthly ministry to the Jews, not us) they are doing a terrible disservice and basically leading people astray. They should be preaching 95% out of Romans through Philemon, the doctrine specifically to us today. But instead you get a works salvation program, pick up your cross and follow me, instead of the gospel that saves today, not by works of righteousness which we have done but according to his mercy he saved us.

If you have been sitting in one of those churches for 20 or 30 years listening to the red letters being preached to you as they were your doctrine this is going to sound crazy to you. But, I suggest you study it out concentrating on rightly dividing using a King James Bible. Check out these YouTube channels for info on rightly dividing:
Truth Time Radio
butnowministry
NorCal Grace
Right Divider

Upvote 0

JWO

FaithWithoutWorks IsDead
Oct 7, 2017
Aurora
✟906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said he came only for the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Matthew 21:43 Therefore say I unto you, The Kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

Paul even says "my gospel" is the gospel that saves.

Matthew 24:14 And this Gospel of the Kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

But instead you get a works salvation program, pick up your cross and follow me

James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

Matthew 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after Me, is not worthy of Me.

Matthew 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of Mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but My words shall not pass away.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0