North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, there's a personal issue I've struggled with for a long time that without giving too much away, am basically at a point where I've realized that I have to deal with it instead of just acknowledging it's there and managing it. The thing that I'm hearing all of these voices (not literally, obviously, you know what I mean) and I don't know which one to listen to, which one is God's voice. There's ultimately two ways they're pushing me. The first is based on love, support, acceptance, and scientific truth. The second seems to be about sin, guilt, self-denial, and absolute truth.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think it's an either or. I believe that you are categorizing the thoughts, but not according to His Truth. It's not that simple.
Isaiah 55:8-9 has helped me a lot, and God reminds me of these verses a lot when I'm struggling to discern the spirits. God's voice is different from our own voice, the voice of our flesh, the world and the voice of the enemy. Remember that His ways are always higher than our ways, and His voice will never feel "earthly".
God's voice will always glorify the Father and the Son, and it will always stay true to Scripture. He convicts of sin, but does not condemn nor makes us feel guilt and shame (He never feels threatening or evil, even when He is harsh), and He loves us unconditionally, but does not accept our sinful ways, He supports us in His ways, but moves us away from the ways of the world or of the flesh.

I hope this helps. :)

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say to ask yourself this question -

Which voice is Biblical?

From Scripture, I would say the second one falls in line. Sometimes we want to hear God but we do not like what He is saying. We don't have to like it, we simply must obey.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So, there's a personal issue I've struggled with for a long time that without giving too much away, am basically at a point where I've realized that I have to deal with it instead of just acknowledging it's there and managing it. The thing that I'm hearing all of these voices (not literally, obviously, you know what I mean) and I don't know which one to listen to, which one is God's voice. There's ultimately two ways they're pushing me. The first is based on love, support, acceptance, and scientific truth. The second seems to be about sin, guilt, self-denial, and absolute truth.
God has told us two things about the Bible:

1) It is Truth
2) That it contains all that is needed to lead us in righteousness

Having so little information about your issue, I advise look to God's Word.

Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say that the voice that most closely reflects what you see in Scripture is the one you can be confident is God's. If you ever want to chat, man, always feel free to PM or I'm on Skype. I have personal issues of my own that I just don't share on the forum because it's pretty personal stuff, but I might be able to offer some insight.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think it's an either or. I believe that you are categorizing the thoughts, but not according to His Truth. It's not that simple.
Isaiah 55:8-9 has helped me a lot, and God reminds me of these verses a lot when I'm struggling to discern the spirits. God's voice is different from our own voice, the voice of our flesh, the world and the voice of the enemy. Remember that His ways are always higher than our ways, and His voice will never feel "earthly".
God's voice will always glorify the Father and the Son, and it will always stay true to Scripture. He convicts of sin, but does not condemn nor makes us feel guilt and shame (He never feels threatening or evil, even when He is harsh), and He loves us unconditionally, but does not accept our sinful ways, He supports us in His ways, but moves us away from the ways of the world or of the flesh.

I hope this helps. :)

I agree with what you are saying, and I wish I was categorizing them, but I'm not, that's what each, for lack of a better word, voice, is emphasizing.

I would say to ask yourself this question -

Which voice is Biblical?

From Scripture, I would say the second one falls in line. Sometimes we want to hear God but we do not like what He is saying. We don't have to like it, we simply must obey.

The problem is that they both seem Biblical to me.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I agree with what you are saying, and I wish I was categorizing them, but I'm not, that's what each, for lack of a better word, voice, is emphasizing.
Could you tell us anything about the issue? You don't need to go into detail.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
God has told us two things about the Bible:

1) It is Truth
2) That it contains all that is needed to lead us in righteousness

Having so little information about your issue, I advise look to God's Word.

I know what scripture says on it, I've intentionally studied it in depth, there's still this voice telling me "You're being deceived! You're justifying sin! Hating God's Word!".

Upvote 0

PropheticTimes

Lord Have Mercy
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2015
Ohio
✟204,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The problem is that they both seem Biblical to me.

I understand how you could interpret it that way, however the first would be at the expense of the second. For example, we are to love and yet we are to hate evil as much as God does, and in society today there is a fine line between accepting a person and accepting their actions. It is important that we look into the Bible on specific topics as deeply as possible in order to gain the proper wisdom.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I understand how you could interpret it that way, however the first would be at the expense of the second. For example, we are to love and yet we are to hate evil as much as God does, and in society today there is a fine line between accepting a person and accepting their actions. It is important that we look into the Bible on specific topics as deeply as possible in order to gain the proper wisdom.

See above.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I know what scripture says on it, I've intentionally studied it in depth, there's still this voice telling me "You're being deceived! You're justifying sin! Hating God's Word!".
That sounds like an accusation from the enemy to be honest, to try and confuse you. You mentioned it gives you guilt? God would not do that when He knows that you are honestly struggling to live by His will.
He is not a God of confusion.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Choose the second voice.

The first voice belongs to satan, because it will let you stay right where your human self would be most comfortable.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If it's not too personal, you may want to share more if you want better advice. Because we are going blind here.
First, God is a patient teacher.

Don't sweat it, just keep praying. Pray to God that "if" you are in error that He shows you that error. I personally ask God to hit me over the head with a frying pan when it comes to Him wanting to change my mind because I miss the subtle stuff.

Know that God's timing is not our timing. Always pray that truth is revealed to you and He will do it. Don't worry, God is teaching you in His time. Give Him glory and then wait..

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Choose the second voice.

The first voice belongs to satan, because it will let you stay right where your human self would be most comfortable.
What if it is satan's phychological ploy to get him to think that way, but that's just a ploy?

You seem very confident to give advice without knowing any details.

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
What if it is satan's phychological ploy to get him to think that way, but that's just a ploy?

You seem very confident to give advice without knowing any details.
I am confidant when it comes to God, because God cannot contradict Himself, and satan can never sound like God.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I am confidant when it comes to God, because God cannot contradict Himself, and satan can never sound like God.
But you do not know the issue, the circumstances, and you haven't heard what the voices actually sound like.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
But you do not know the issue, the circumstances, and you haven't heard what the voices actually sound like.
I don't have to know the issue, I have to know God, because God does not change but man's opinions of the issues will always change with the wind.
And I certainly have heard those voices in my own life. I'm very familiar with them, and they always do the same things; The voice of God agrees with His word, and the voice of satan always wants to:
1. please me or
2. frighten me, or
3. lull me into sin.

whatever the issue, you can count on satan's response being one of those 3.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You are advising another, so how can you be confident in what you have not experienced?

This seems more like a Pychic Hotline answer.

P.S. Satan can sound a lot like God. Read the Word.

• Agree
Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't have to know the issue, I have to know God, because God does not change but man's opinions of the issues will always change with the wind.
And I certainly have heard those voices in my own life. I'm very familiar with them, and they always do the same things; The voice of God agrees with His word, and the voice of satan always wants to:
1. please me or
2. frighten me, or
3. lull me into sin.

whatever the issue, you can count on satan's response being one of those 3.
I completely agree, as you can see in my first post. But you don't know what this issue is about, what option is a sin. So how can you know for sure that the first voice is of satan?

Upvote 0