Not open for further replies.

twosid

Jun 30, 2003
Woodstock, Georgia
Visit site
✟2,396.00
Faith
Christian
I'm just curious if there is a way other than the absence of God in your life which I guess would be a pretty good sign in itself. Many of you know my history somewhat but for those that don't I was a fundamentalist Protestant for about 12 years. The entire time I spent trying to convince myself that I was "saved" to no avail. I began looking at the Catholic faith a couple of years ago and I'm still not convinced. I pray about it but I get no help in my faith that I recognize and just seem to be in eternal limbo. I have suspected for a while that I'm just damned. I don't want to give up and don't think I will but maybe it's futile for me to continue. Is there a way to know?

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Being convinced you are saved is just as bad as being convinced you are damned. At least from the Catholic POV. If you believe in free will, you know you have a choice, and so you will not be "stuck" at either pole (as much as being "stuck" at the salvation end would be rather nice).

Instead, you need to view life (and salvation) as the race which Paul describes in his letters to the Corinthians, Hebrews and to Timothy. Once we stop worrying about where we stand, we open ourselves to God's grace and allow Him to lead us where He will. Be still.

Praying for you twosid, as you like myself, are a loved child of God.

Reactions: twosid
Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
No one is just damned. I don't think its possible to know with absolute certainty either what your final destination is at any point in this life.

Many saints have experienced the kind of spiritual aridity you describe. I know it is difficult right now, but keep persevering. As a certain saint once said, sometimes you have to spend some time in the desert for a while before you can really know God. I think rather than being in a limbo, you're traveling through your desert. But, if you keep persevering you'll reach the promised land and you'll be able to appreciate it all the more. One day you'll look back and see that this difficult time was for your ultimate good :)

Reactions: twosid
Upvote 0

selfintercession

Contributor
Jan 2, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
✟24,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
As long as you're still alive, you're not damned :) Jesus was sent here to save us and we have the opportunity to take part in that every moment of our lives. Who's to say where you're at right now? But you have the opportunity to change anything in your life that might hurt your chances at getting into heaven anytime. It's the rejection of this gift for a person's entire life that will be the cause of damnation. God doesn't make His judgment about where we should end up until ths life is over for us. And in any case, being saved is not about feeling like you are saved.

You're not going to feel joyful and like you want to burst into song every moment of your grave-sin free life, but you will have faith that Jesus holds to His promise of eternal life for those who seek forgiveness and live according to His will and that is enough.

Peace in Christ. :)

dmimage3.jpg

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.