How do you handle perverse talk or 'dirty jokes'?

M

MarkSB

What do you do or say when people engage in perverse talk? It bothers me because I never know what to do or say when people start to go off on wild tangents about sex, and suddenly everyone and everything becomes sex-related. Usually I just go along with it and laugh along with it, but it bothers me that I do so.

For example, in my biology class we divided into lab groups and my group was 3 guys. Everything about the lab was sex jokes and foolishness. I find it incredibly immature and annoying, and it seems difficult for me to not adopt some of these attitudes; especially when I seem to be surrounded by it all the time and everyday - at school, work, ect. Sorry for the rant, but I just get frustrated by it sometimes.

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I usually say something to the effect of their mind being in the gutter, which usually gets me a response that mine is as well otherwise I wouldn't have understood it which usually leads to me commenting on the fact that they laughed about a simple comment that was not funny without a dirty mind and they shut up.
It's quite boring really, when people don't use their brains right...

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What do you do or say when people engage in perverse talk? It bothers me because I never know what to do or say when people start to go off on wild tangents about sex, and suddenly everyone and everything becomes sex-related. Usually I just go along with it and laugh along with it, but it bothers me that I do so.

For example, in my biology class we divided into lab groups and my group was 3 guys. Everything about the lab was sex jokes and foolishness. I find it incredibly immature and annoying, and it seems difficult for me to not adopt some of these attitudes; especially when I seem to be surrounded by it all the time and everyday - at school, work, ect. Sorry for the rant, but I just get frustrated by it sometimes.
What do you do or say when people engage in perverse talk?
When you are unequally yoked with unbelievers then you can either walk away or just ignore it and forgive them in silent prayer, and pray blessing over them silently.
It bothers me because I never know what to do or say when people start to go off on wild tangents about sex, and suddenly everyone and everything becomes sex-related. Usually I just go along with it and laugh along with it, but it bothers me that I do so.
If you laugh along with it, then by your action you are outwardly approving it, which will lead to being judged.
Yes, I understand, so be patient and self-controlled. If you stand firm then the enemy will flee. Do they know that you are a Christian, and if that is so, then they are testing you. Now if that is the case, they know that you are a Christian, you could then say to them you respect their beliefs, but could you also respect my beliefs because you find the discussion offensive, or words to that effect.

Don't get involved in trying to be one of the group, because you are not. You are a Child of God, and sadly yoked with unbelievers, without choice.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If it is truly bothering me then I say so. Most people who know me know not to talk like that around me though.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I would not engage in conversations like that esp with the opposite sex(if you are a girl and the others are guys for ex).

I'd walk away or bring up something else. I think people get pressured to talk about whatever is being talked about and so people think they HAVE to say something.
Jan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I had that happen at work, and I spoke up and said I did not like having my lunch period ruined with such talk. Speak up, and tell these boys that you are offended by their joking about sex, and that you would appreciate they change the subject. If they ask why, tell them that you are believer in Jesus Christ, and that you are of the conviction that such talk is not honoring Him.

Upvote 0

jive4005

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2007
Rhode Island
Visit site
✟10,380.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Be polite... make yourself scarce. It won't take long for people to get the idea.
We must not allow the world to think Christians are neutral about this kind of sin & filth.
Stand up Stand up for Jesus is more than just a lyric.

His,
Rev J

Upvote 0

different

Sep 20, 2007
✟15,114.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am a Christian myself, so take a moment before you witness to me just for bringing this up, lol. Can someone tell me why Christians feel the need to ban, prohibit, speak out against, detest, protest, and otherwise make a stink about things that are so unimportant? Don't get me wrong, I think morality is important. I don't think you should just say "what the hell" and throw standards to the wind. It's just... in the grand scheme of things, is it really necessary to alienate yourself from people by making an obvious point of ignoring others when they tell a dirty joke? - or even going so far as to scold them about it? - I mean, you do realize that God made humor and sex... they can go together. I seriously doubt that the apostles sat around the fire with Jesus after dinner discussing politics and moral obligations every night. I mean, it is far more likely that Jesus, loving these men as his brothers - in every sense of the word - was able to kick back with them sometimes and just make a fart joke or two. In fact, I doubt even more that all of those scruffy guys never told a dirty joke. He made wine, he made sex, he made humor, he made all kinds of pleasure. The only time the Bible ever really scolds man-kind for participating in these acts is when we abuse them. When Moses's followers when crazy and used sex and wine as a way to worship their bodies and false gods, then that was bad. A dirty joke? A beer? Do these things mean that you have chosen to defile God, or worship something or someone else? Absolutely not. That is an amazing stretch. When will Christians stop to consider how much man's own hand has influenced our belief system, our set of morals, and our essential rules? How many corrupt ministers, priests, etc will it take before Christians see that what their grandmother taught them about Jesus might be tainted with false information passed on to her unwittingly. I am not claiming that everything we know as true is wrong. I am not telling you to throw out the rule book and party down or anything. I just want Christians to think. If a dirty joke or a beer bothers you, then fine. But before you stand beside the cross and label people as sinners and their actions as sins, maybe consider that it simply makes you uncomfortable because you have your own personal hang-ups.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great first post! Welcome here.

:wave:

Don't take a fearful or us-them stance. You have as much right to sway the conversation as they do. Keep the focus on what you were supposed to be accomplishing (work, school) or distract them with a thoughtful question (how is your ailing aunt btw?), or tease them for being too raunchy.

We don't have to control and keep everything perfect. But if it's drawing people off track, then there's no reason not to swerve the conversation back on course.

Upvote 0